“Good for business”

ASURE Abode on Courtenay Motor Inn
Ranked #19 of 30 Hotels in New Plymouth
Reviewed 8 November 2011

I stayed here on my recent business trip to New Plymouth as this is the closest accommodation to where I was working. Compared to my last stay in New Plymouth (Copthorne hotel) this trip was a real pleasure.

The staff at the hotel are very friendly and welcoming. The room was spotlessly clean when we arrived and the daily service was impeccable. All in all a very pleasant stay.

Two pieces of advice:
1. the hotel is on a one-way street that is busy during the day; you might want to request a room further away from the road. We were furthest away upstairs and while you could hear an occasional vehicle going down the road neither of us found it obtrusive.
2. the smoke alarms are *very* sensitive--we set them off cooking a piece of bacon!!!

In terms of recommendation: I will be using this hotel for my next business trip to New Plymouth. All our staff stay here as a corporate choice, but I will stay because it is my choice.

Room Tip: Try to avoid being too close to the street
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business

Reviewed 25 October 2011

We stayed here with 2 young kids - you need to pay extra for kids.
No kids TV channel.
Couches are tiny, very hard & uncomfortable, especially as TV is mounted very high up the wall so anywhere you sat you got a sore neck.
Very noisy being so close to a main road (this may have just been the part of the building that we were in).
No curtains in the bedrooms (just venetian blinds) so a nightmare trying to get the kids to go to sleep since room was so light.
No extra blankets or anything that we could have hung over the window.
Probably wouldn't stay there again unfortunately and wouldn't recommend it as a family hotel.

However it was warm, clean and tidy, the staff were friendly and the cooked breakfast was very good. Handy being so close to supermarkets too.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 October 2011

This is a great central location to stay in New Plymouth. We were warmly greeted and Gary helped us pointing out areas on a map then showed us to our room. The room was very nicely decorated, with a very comfortable king (or super king?) bed, really nice bed linen and pillows.

The kitchen facilities were good and the bathroom had a nice big shower stall. The grounds were immaculately groomed. The only gripe was that our room was a bit on the dark side as there was only a front window and no other natural light. The location is superb with easy access to supermarkets, restaurants and shopping.

We really enjoyed our visit and will definitely book Abode the next time we are in New Plymouth.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 August 2011

On arriving at Abode on Courtenay, the manager warmly greeted me by name. Although I arrived in the morning before check-in time, I was able to go to my room, because they weren't full at the time. I really appreciated this.

The room itself was tidy and tastefully decorated, but rather characterless. It was a bit dark too, possibly because it was on the ground floor. It had adequate kitchen equipment and a decent-sized TV. Plunger coffee sachets were provided too, which was a nice touch.

The location is very convenient, close to the centre of town, the coastal walkway and Pukekura Park. This convenience had its downside - Courtenay St is a busy road, so there was some traffic noise, and the motel itself is on quite a small cramped block, so the outlook from the rooms was pretty ordinary. There are some potted plants dotted around the carpark, and the little patch of grass has some things planted around the edges, but otherwise it looks a bit barren.

In summary, it was a reasonable place to stay for a quick visit to New Plymouth.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank Selsy
Reviewed 3 August 2011

We enjoyed our stay at the Abode. We had the upstairs 2 bedroom unit which was very clean and tidy. The kitchenette had a microwave and 2 hot plates which was adequate for cooking for the family. Pak and Save and Countdown were literally across the street so that was very convenient. We walked to the coastal walkway and into the city centre which was only a few blocks away. Gary the host was friendly and helped us out with info on sights to see in New Plymouth. I was worried that traffic noise would be an issue but it wasn't. We stayed a Friday, Sat and Sunday. I booked direct and was very happy with our rate.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank JackieSueNZ
Reviewed 11 July 2011

As this was a business trip we were here longer than the normal 1 or 2 nights, we stayed four nights and found that the accommodation was 'five star'. The units are warm and clean and tidy and surprisingly there was very little traffic noise considering the location of the motel. Being in the centre of the CBD is also another bonus as access to the supermarkets, in fact, all amenities was literally 'just outside the door'. We would definitely make the Abode on Courtenay our first option again.

Room Tip: Connectiong rooms 7 and 8 were great, very little traffic and very private
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank mandyedwards
Reviewed 10 May 2011

I was first visited Abode last year as I was attending a competition in the rear carpark (which I found out on my arrival) so chose the best place. I was impressed during this visit, so when the competitions came up again I had no hesitations in booking again with Gary. I called on Sunday morning and made a booking and arrived early Sunday evening.
Gary has done alot of work with slowly upgrading the rooms, and making it modern. The rooms are comfortable and although its on the main road its a very quiet in the rooms. Especially if you just want to sleep. The location of the Abode also allows for many options in terms of Supermarkets and eating out options from Fast Food through to Restaurants.

The rooms are clean, and were serviced during my 2 night stay, comfortable pillows and warm rooms. I love the upgrade to a plasma tv love it.
Gary was very friendly from checkin offering the milk etc. A friendly good morning as he walked the carpark through to evening at night, Its a great place to stay and i will definately recommend and be back again.
What a nice place to stay a home away from home

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business