“Peaceful view from excellent unit”
Review of One Burgess Hill

One Burgess Hill
Ranked #5 of 30 Hotels in New Plymouth
Reviewed 10 February 2014

Two nights in this accommodation were rejuvenating! It was quiet, spotlessly clean, modern and new, with a pastoral view over the meadow and river which offered a pleasant place for a little walk. Use of the laundry and internet were free, the bathroom was spacious, and the kitchen was well-equipped. The mattress was a little hard for my taste and the deck chairs are uncomfortable, but those are minor setbacks in an otherwise delightful place.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 9 February 2014

Thanks Trip Advisor & everyone who reviews. I never book accommodation without checking trip advisor but sometimes I'm a bit slack & don't post a review! But this time I need to add my bit and thank everyone for their rating because I stayed at One Burgess Hill because of its top place rating & I'm so glad we did! The place is gorgeous and just what we needed.
It is about 5 mins out of town but as we were going to a concert at the bowl it was an easy location. The place itself is beautiful! The setting is amazing with landscaping, a river & very peaceful & restful - much better than being in town! We had a studio unit & it was very spacious, with high ceiling & doors opening out on a deck & everything you need. The unit we stayed in is less than 4 yrs old & is perfectly designed. Quality fittings & even has a kent type fire - although it was sunny & warm yesterday & today so we couldn't use it. Also has air conditioning / heating - but again we didn't need it. Comfy pillows, spotlessly clean, kitchenette & great bathroom. The people were just lovely, from when I first phoned, check in & check out - 1st time I've ever stayed without people asking for a credit card to hold! If I had to find any fault its very minor - no shower cap that I could find & the shower is high & a lovely rain water fall to it but I didn't want to get my hair wet this morning!! Really great value for money as very well priced at $145 for the night. I do hope to return & think we need to go back to NP just to stay at One Burgess Hill! A well deserved top rating.

Room Tip: we had a room down by the conference centre - thats the newest block & gorgeous views
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 February 2014

POSITIVES

 A large site with landscaped grounds that are well away from the road. The motel is divided into several separate blocks. It is newly constructed. My block was above a river valley and had great views. It faced the sunrise.
 There was plenty of parking on site.
 My room was large, modern and had minimalist styling. It had a king sized bed. One whole wall was windows. There was a table and chairs. There was a modern sofa with a metal frame.
 The bathroom was large with a Jacuzzi-style bath with a shower.
 Wifi was included and was reasonably fast. There was a usage cap.
 There was no road nearby and the site was very quiet – with the birds the loudest thing around.
 The receptionist was friendly and helpful with local maps and advice.
 The room had a modern kitchen area, iron and board, flat screen TV and Sky box, kettle, large selection of teas and coffee and a range of kitchenware.

NEGATIVES

 The motel is 6km from town, along a direct road most of which is a fast route and there is little traffic. The road goes straight into town (and ends at McDonalds, with a Countdown next to it). I did end up driving up and down this road a number of times. It is worth getting a map of where the hotel is – otherwise may be a little difficult to find.
 There is little immediately near to the hotel.

CONCLUSION

A great place to stay. I wish I had stayed more than 1 night.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Joe_33
Reviewed 4 February 2014

I travel to New Plymouth regularly for work and this is always my first option. Its around 6km out of town however having a vehicle as i always do this is not of concern for me. The area is so peaceful compared to staying right in the city centre. Plenty of options for meals etc as places deliver or if your able to get to town its a 5 min drive away.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 January 2014

We didn't realise that this accommodation was a little out of town but what a fantastic location with amazing views and birdlife. The hills and the river below provide a tranquil location. Even saw a Tui bird on a bush really nearby. This is a very modern complex with individual accommodation fully self contained.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 January 2014

Stayed for 2 nights in January 2014. Had the 2 story apartment. Excellent self contained accommodation, couldn't be faulted. Lovely kitchen with all that you would need. Beautiful bathroom with spa bath - so luxurious. Very quite location yet only a short drive to shops. Fantastic river view from the very well appointed bedroom. All at a very reasonable price! Host (Andrew) very friendly and helpful (had our extra bed ready for us on arrival). Only downside (if you can call it that) is that you don't appear to be able to walk down to the river. We took the Riverside Walk as signposted but were unable to get down to the actual river as it runs through farmland (plenty of sheep around) and is fenced off with an electric fence. Thoroughly enjoyed our stay though and would highly recommend this accommodation to anyone.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 January 2014

Our family stayed for a night in Jan14. When we arrived we were immediately disappointed we weren't staying longer. Our 2 bedroom, 2 storey apartment was spacious, modern and clean. Gorgeous river views from both the bedrooms and upon opening the shutters in the bathroom, the gentle sound of the river lulls you to sleep. The owners are twin brothers and are exceptionally helpful and friendly. There are several restaurants that will deliver to your room and because we wanted to spend as much time as possible soaking up the atmosphere, we ordered the indian option. It was excellent.
There isn't a washing machine in the apartment, but there is a guest laundry a short walk through the beautiful grounds.
Tips from the owner - to get pics of Mt Taranaki, early morning or dusk, as during the day its often covered by cloud. During summer in New Plymouth there are beautiful coloured lights around the lake, def worth a look.
If we could rate higher than 5 we would!!!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family