“Consistent in it's inconsistency”
Review of Gusto Restaurant

Gusto Restaurant
Ranked #16 of 172 Restaurants in New Plymouth
Price range: US$11 - US$31
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Gusto Restaurant is a new spacious dining experience right on the waterfront, with plenty of deck space for outdoor dining on fine days, or warm, cosy waterfront dining indoors on cooler days or nights. We are open every day for breakfast, lunch or dinner with plenty of parking available. Our chefs source top quality ingredients fresh daily to ensure our meals are enjoyed by everyone, and they come back to Gusto time and again.
Reviewed 8 June 2014

I've visited Gusto's several times over the last year. The meals have ranged from very good to very poor ( in fact I did not eat the pan fried fish on one occasion because it was so overcooked, it was like cardboard)

At the my most recent visit , the meals can be rated as "good" part from one little niggle that has prompted me to write the review...... the "pancetta wrapped scallops" were wrapped in bacon. It's a bit like ordering a sleek sports car and a ute drives up. Perhaps the chef thought the diners would not notice? A bit of an insult if you ask me. If I had been told the ute was coming I would have been satisfied, rather than a tad disappointed in what was otherwise a good meal.

1  Thank woodgit
gustotaranaki, Owner at Gusto Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2014

Hi Woodgit
Sorry to hear that you were not happy with the panfried fish. I have looked through the diary and we have no record of a complaint about the fish. The fish would have been replaced immediately if the staff had been informed. That is our policy.
The statement that you have made regarding the scallops and pancetta could not be more untrue. We do not use streaky bacon, we use only pancetta and I am quite happy for you to inspect the product and check our invoices and contact our supplier. Somewhat a bit of an insult to the chefs. gustotaranaki@gmail.com

There are newer reviews for Gusto Restaurant

Reviewed 31 May 2014

A very tastefully decorated restaurant, spacious, nice outdoor area,.looking out over the water - lovely first impressions. The art by local artists was interesting and the bathrooms were top class. We even got a bonus display of a vampire jet swooping and diving above us (apparently owned buy a local).
The menus were beautifully designed (not too big and bulky)and showed a good range of food. Service was friendly.
My cappuccino could have been slightly hotter but the calamari dish I ordered was very tasty and exactly what I expected. However the fish cakes that my friend ordered were extremely disappointing - they should have been called potato cakes with a wee hint of fish! We mentioned it to our server and received an apology from the chef via the server.
This was a shame as it spoiled an otherwise lovely experience

Hi Jolin716
Thankyou for your good review, the staff do appreciate good constructive feedback. The fish cakes are one of our most popular lunchtime dishes and I am disappointed that you did not enjoy them. We do put a considerable amount of fish in them but some types of fish have a lot milder flavour than others, maybe this was the case. Thanks again for your constructive review.

Reviewed 26 April 2014

Just returned from a excellent meal with good friendly service .with a varied.menu freshly cooked to our requirements with avery relaxed atmosphere .

gustotaranaki, Owner at Gusto Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2014

Hi Derbyshiredriver
Thanks for your review. We do appreciate your opinion especially when it is so positive. I have passed your comments on to the staff. We hope to see you again.

Reviewed 11 April 2014

Had no real expectation prior to dining at Gusto, really went because it was convenient and close to home. We were all four of us very pleasantly surprised, when we experienced great entree's, perfect steaks and friendly timely service. A great location just added to an all-round lovely evening.

Hi Zoe
Thanks for your positive review. I have passed it on to the staff. I hope to see you for another visit in the near future.

Reviewed 11 April 2014

We took my in laws there for breakfast on their last day, after a three week tour of NZ, I have to say this was the most disappointing restaurant we visited.

They were short staffed, one meal was not ordered so arrived after the rest of us had eaten (we couldn't wait any longer), coffee did arrive eventually but not until after breakfast had been cleared, even though it was the first thing we ordered.

I had Eggs Benedict, with salmon. The eggs were cold, the hollandaise sauce was disgusting but on the plus there was a generous serving of salmon. Sorry Gusto I will not be coming back. After all of this I was again disappointed that you only gave us one coffee free when we addressed these issues with you.

Hi Lauren
The morning you visited was a sequence of events behind the scenes that no one could have predicted. We were initially short staffed as two staff members were held up, out of any ones control. We did try and get by with the help from one of the kitchen staff and myself which in turn reduced the staffing in the kitchen. No one expected a rush first thing as we only had one booking for 10.15am. The coffee machine was playing up along with the grinder which took me 20 mins to get it working correctly. (only just been serviced). I can only apologise for your disappointment and I hope this explanation offers some understanding of the situation. As for only receiving one complimentary coffee I have no explanation. I am happy to discuss this further over a coffee should you wish to return at some stage.