“Ashbrook motel, Taupo”
Review of Ashbrook Motel

Ashbrook Motel
Ranked #30 of 68 Hotels in Taupo
Reviewed 19 February 2012

I always stay at Ashbrook when I visit Taupo. It's easy walking to the lake, supermarket and town centre. Being back from the main road it's also quiet - you don't hear the logging trucks racing past at 2 in the morning (I've stayed in lake-front motels before, it can be quite noisy).
The moteliers are pleasant and friendly, service is good.
Best of all the units are modern and clean.

Room Tip: Any of the rooms are fine.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank JooleeB

Reviewed 29 January 2012

Great accommodation - very clean toilet/bathroom - would stay there again. Sadly the customer service was terrible....

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank ExperiencePriceless
Reviewed 11 January 2012

We just tried to make a booking at this motel. Were paying top dollar as there were five of us. The woman on the phone was less than friendly and in the end said she would not take our booking. I had just asked her what her cancellation policy was, because we are travelling with my elderly mother. She said she would not take the booking if we were not sure. I said that we had no intention of cancelling, we just wanted to know. Wow, I could not believe it. My husband had done most of the talking to her and he said she was less than friendly. Very disappointed.

Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank T M
Mike3330, Manager at Ashbrook Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2014

Thank you for your feedback re your enquiry to book at this motel. We are obviously disappointed at the comments you made. I spoke to the person who took your call and it appears that there was some miscommunication or in other words a misunderstanding of information given. The day you were trying to book we were sold out apart from awaiting a confirmation. Once it was established that your need was for some flexibility in your booking we recommended that our option (if available) was not ideal as cancellation fees would apply. As part of our service to customers we do refer them to other establishments when we feel it best suits their needs even if it would be a loss of business for us. Once again we are sorry you interpreted this the way you did and we will endeavour to make it clearer in future. Regard's Ashbrook Motel.

Reviewed 15 December 2011

I stayed in ashbrook for two nights on 12, 13 November last month. It was a family holiday. My husband, my daughter and me. We drove to Taupo from Auckland. We arrived at about 6pm on 12th. When we arrived we went to reception area and rong the bell on the desk for three times to call out a grumpy face host. He didn't greeted us and introduce himself, he just asked me to sighed the form and led us to the room. I guess he might forgot we were his guests because we are Chinese. I booked a so-called Premium Larger 2 brm suite. The twin bedroom is terribly arranged, very small and tiny and hard to breath. Two of us stayed in the lounge area instead. During the night we found there were two light bulbs didn't work. My son went to the recption desk and asked the lady simply passed two light bulbs and told my son to fix them himself. We felt a little uncomfortable but just changed the bulbs ourselves. The next morning we got up a bit late because of the previous day's trip. At 9:45 am a middle-aged cleaner lady knocked the door and told us she had to do the cleaning at once because that day was Sunday she wanted to finish kthe job early to go home. It is so ridiculous, we had to ask her for five minutes to get out of the room. We never dreamed that the motel would treated like rubbish. One thing I like New Zealand most is that everywhere we stay, five stars or humble small motel, we always meet very friendly hosts and sunny smile faces. This motel is the worst ever. While writing this review, I still felt angry and suffocated. This rubbish motel ruined the nice image of Taupo. My recommodation is if you would like an enjoyable holiday, never ever stay in this motel.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Stella Z
Reviewed 5 December 2011

This is the second time we have stayed at Ashbrook and we would definitely go back again. It is extremely clean and comfortable. We phoned ahead to stay that we were arriving late in the evening and it was no problem. For us, it ticks all the boxes.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 October 2011

We stayed at the Ashcroft by chance as we were driving around looking for somewhere to stay and were pleased we did. We had a upstairs unit with one bedroom and a double bed in the living area. It was very clean, warm which was important after our last stay in Rotorua, and well equipped. The boys loved the big spa bath. It was a 10 minute walk into the town centre, supermarkets nearby as well. Would recommend.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 August 2011

We chose this motel because it was a brand new hotel with good features.
How ever upon arrival we were disappointed .
The host was very rude .
She lectured us on the cutlery count and several times made racial related remarks in reference to the cooking rules. We were reminded of this over and over for during our 2 night stay. Next the heating didn't work per our expectations. It was horrible.
Last the spa bath jets were too powerful and aimed right on us and the entire bathroom was wet .
The rooms were clean and new. But it was sad that during our family reunion we were counting cutlery each day as this is what the host reminded us of repeatedly.
We have been traveling to Taupo for the past 40 years and this is the first time we have come across such an unpleasant host.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family