“Great value”
Review of Tui Oaks Motor Inn

Tui Oaks Motor Inn
Ranked #37 of 69 Hotels in Taupo
Reviewed 10 February 2013

We were driving back to Tauranga after 2 nights in Wellington drove thru Taupo and it just looked sooo pretty was an awesome sunny day so decided to stay a night, drove along lake front looking for accomodation, found Tui Oaks and booked in. An older motel but well looked after with comfortable beds and a great view over looking the lake had everything we wanted. One little bug bear would be the toilet paper dispenser is really rather annoying as you can only get one sheet out at a time so to maybe put in proper toilet roll holders would be great.......

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank jimbo8775
There are newer reviews for Tui Oaks Motor Inn

Reviewed 3 February 2013

I was planning on staying in Taupo just one night, but as I drove into town, I realized I had to stay another. When I checked into my room and saw my incredible lake view this confirmed I made the right decision. The managers of this property are great, were able to accomodate me when I needed to stay that second night, and all in all a good value for your money. It is an older building, but I think a real great find. Walking distance to town and nothing beats looking out your window and seeing the beautiful sunset over Lake Taupo.

Room Tip: Be sure to request a room with a view of the lake.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank calitraveler310
Reviewed 15 January 2013

I stayed at this motel for 3 nights with my husband and 2 children (aged 6 and 3). We had a one bedroom unit located on the ground floor. It was a bit older but tidy - parts of it were newer such as the bathroom which I really appeciated - nothing worse than having a yucky bathroom! The double bed was in the bedroom and 2 single beds were in the lounge area. The TV was a reasonable size and flat screen, which was great. The room opened out to the outdoor swimming pool, which we used a number of times and loved it, especially the kids. The motel is on the main road in Taupo but the room wasn't at all noisy, and being where it was it was very convenient to the waterfront and other attractions.

All in all it was a good stay - service was good and I think it was good value for money. I've stayed in other motels in Taupo at similar or more expensive rates, and Tui Oaks was definitelty superior. We were comfortable and I would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Ground floor is good if you want to be closer to the swimming pool!
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 January 2013

Older motel but has been refurbished and value for money was good. We had 4th floor unit overlooking lake and was great to sit by window and watch going on. To watch sunset was almost worth price of room. Just walk across road to sit on lakeside and have a swim. Easy walk to town. Host efficient and helpful.

Room Tip: Pay the extra $10 for a lake view room. They are probably worth a lot more than that for the view
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 January 2013

Interesting reading reviews.. You can not compare this to a $500 a night motel...
I booked a studio over Christsmas for 6 nights.. When I arrived I got upgraded to a one bedroom on the 4th floor over looking the lake..! Fantastic views! We didn't have any road noise..
For the price.. Location and Views.. Service.. I have to give it 9.5 out of 10
It's not a luxury Hilton suite... but right up there with motels in the township... Great bed etc

Would I go back?.... Yes.
I have stayed in quite a few different motels at Taupo over the years and while some are more a "Luxury' inside.. you look out to a wall or the car park or very small garden.. I would go back to this one as it's quiet and has the views... Never written a review on any other motel but felt to do so on this one

Room Tip: make sure ask for the rooms looking over the lake... Great View to wake up to each morning and in t...
Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 December 2012 via mobile

My partner and I stayed at Tui Oaks for 2 nights in December 2012.

We stayed in room 202, a ground floor room opening onto the pool area. We opened the patio doors and comfortably ate our take away at the table next to the pool.

Our room was next to the laundry room with a washer and dryer. The manager kindly left some washing powder out for us to do our washing.

The room was spacious with a queen bed and a fridge. The room was clean and our bathroom had a window.

The cons: Unfortunately 2 guests smoked and drank for an hour outside our door at night. They then carried on upstairs til 1am and the sound proofing was poor so we barely slept. Also, we could hear a lot of traffic noise which woke us up early. Although I think that most of the motels along this road would have that problem. The curtains let the light in quite a bit but I just wore my eye shades.

The lake is pretty but we saw more appealing scenery on the South Island. We probably only needed one night here.

It is about a 20 minute walk into town. There are several restaurants and fast food chains. Plenty of free parking by the shops. Lots of tourist shops, I-site, petrol station and supermarket.

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed 12 December 2012

We were a bit disappointed with this place, yes the view over Lake Taupo is brilliant, but the hotel is outdated and pretty average overall. All the basics are there, but you are paying for the location really. Some ventilation in the bathroom wouldn't go astray. Also the elevator is clunky and if you have any fears of elevators, take the stairs!

Room Tip: Fourth floor rooms have a great view
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple