“ok hostel but i wouldnt go back”
Review of Base Taupo

Base Taupo
Ranked #21 of 34 Speciality Lodging in Taupo
Lincoln, England
“ok hostel but i wouldnt go back”
Reviewed 13 November 2013

The staff are very nice and helpful, but we stayed over a weekend and really loud music went on until past 3am on Friday and Saturday night. This wasn't good when we were getting up at 5 to do the Tongariro crossing! The kitchen is a little small for the property with not many utensils/pans etc. The balcony is nice overlooking the lake, and the rooms were very clean.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
  • Korean first
Chicago
Reviewed 13 October 2013

We stayed in a room with a private bathroom for one night. We had two twin beds but pushed them together and it was fine for a couple. The private bathroom was nice and the lobby area and shared kitchen were nice and clean. Plenty of fridge space. We realized the next morning that the parking our front is designated as 60 minutes max, fortunately we didn't get a ticket. Really our only complaint was the loud music from one of the clubs nearby. The hostel kindly supplies ear plugs in the room, sadly the music was more of a vibrate-your-entire-room variety so the ear plugs were of limited use. Overall, a nice place, just be prepared for some boom-tisk-boom-tisk in the middle of the night.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 October 2013 via mobile

Let me start by saying the staff were good. They're very accommodating and helpful in many ways.

In general, the place is very straightforward. You come to stay. You have a bed to sleep. In the spirit of backpacking, it is quite difficult to meet and interact with other travellers as they don't have a big enough space to hangout with other travellers. They do have a bar though. But not everyone wants to hang around the bar. Speaking of the bar, some people reports the noise it creates is bothering their sleep. It wasn't true on my stay. Well maybe because I was up in the third level which further away from the bar. This problem maybe more apparent for those who are staying at the first level, where most bunks are. What I find a little bit surprising though is that from our room, I can hear steps of people going up and down the stairs. Initially it was a problem, but once I fall asleep, it's all good.

Our room is reasonably good for a good stay. The room is not spacious enough, but that is kind of expected for a backpacker anyway. It is clean enough, except maybe for areas like under the bed. A little bit more vacuuming perhaps. I had a good sleep otherwise.

They do serve continental breakfast for 6 bucks. Not the best breakfast, but good enough to kick start your day.

I haven't used their internet, so I can't comment in this.

The shower room and toilets are a bit of disappointment. It's frustrating that they have soap dispenser but it's empty.

They obviously have a lot of people staying. Lots of check outs and check ins happening each day. I just hope that with this volume of people, the service won't be compromise.

All in all, it was a good stay. The locations is perfect and the staff were accommodating.

Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Desert Hot Springs, California
Reviewed 25 September 2013

I stayed here for two nights and I actually expected this hostel to be exactly like the one I stayed in earlier in Rotorua. I was pleasantly surprised because I think this one is much nicer than the one in Rotorua.

The dorm beds were four to a room and they had an ensuite bathroom (shower and toilet together) inside each room. There were also communal showers as you walk towards the kitchen for those that didn't want to wait. The kitchen was nice and large and the dining room had four separate tables. There was a sundeck but since it was freezing when I was there, I didn't even bother stepping out on it. The dining room also has a nice view of the lake so it was a good spot to have a cup of tea and relax.

The internet connection was very spotty in my room so I tended to either use it in the lobby of the hostel or in the kitchen (which was located directly above the lobby). Once I had the connection though, it never dropped so I was pleased. They use Global Gossip Wi-Fi here.

The hostel is located directly in the main area near a lot of shops and food places. I did a run using the Lion's Walk trail which is close to the hostel's entrance. The trail goes for a quite a while so if you tend to like running long distances, this is your place.

The bar that is connected to the hostel is both a good and bad thing. It's great because you don't have to go far to find good music and drinks (although I heard the food was not that fantastic) but it was a bad thing when you wanted to go to sleep earlier than when the bar was open. You can hear the music through the wall and I know some people had trouble sleeping because of that. There are a lot of food places down the street the hostel is on and it is not far from the grocery store or the fast food places.

I used the washer and dryer here and although they did their job, you should hope that other people might not want to wash their clothes because the dryer takes a long time to dry everything. It was a dance figuring out when to check your laundry and take it out and move it. They did work fine though and I did get all of my clothes clean.

The entire hostel was fairly clean (before everyone started using the facilities) and the people that worked there were very nice. Definitely a nice place to stay at and if I came back, it would a place I would consider staying at again.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Jason C, General Manager at Base Taupo, responded to this review, 29 September 2013
Thank you very much for your constructive feedback which we will actively use to improve our hostel experience Cheers Jason C
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 September 2013 via mobile

This hostel has a bar underneath and the sounds and vibrations in to the rooms are horrendous. The staff are rude and will only offer you ear plugs and would say "there is nothing we can do, it is advertised that we have a bar" but not a bar (night club under the bedrooms). Do not stay here if you want to sleep!!!!!

Stayed September 2013
Jason C, General Manager at Base Taupo, responded to this review, 22 September 2013
Dear Angela,

Thank you for providing feedback. I am sorry that you didn't have a pleasant experience staying at Base Taupo. We take negative feedback seriously and I am reviewing information about our hostel and bar on all online website to ensure that potential customers know that we have a bar/night venue on the premises. I will also be meeting with our management to check the volumes, base settings etc for the music after hours.

Kind regards

Jason Cameron

Travellers are raving about these Taupo hotels

Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed 28 July 2013

It is well located and easy to find, we did enjoyed the fact that that room were comfortable and quite clean.
We stayed in a double room with bathroom, so we haven't tried any facilities
We did enjoyed the bar and the deals they had on drinks. also had free pool.
Staff wise, they are not friendly nor helpful especially the bar staff!!!
When we checked in around 8pm, felt like we were disturbing the receptionist, she wasn't smiling or helpful, we asked question about what to do in the area and she did not try very hard to gave us any recommendation.
Only the man that did our check out was helpful and nice and gave us some good recommendation.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 July 2013

We're a couple in our 20s and we stayed here with the Kiwi Experience for two nights...

Good
- EXCELLENT kitchen, with lots of pans, lots of space, big firey hobs and no need to hire plates or cutlery
- Location is perfect for the lake and seeing the town

Bad
- First of all, the washing machine was broken and hadn't been fixed, so we used it and our clothes were soaked and covered in chunks of soap. Still haven't got the stains out. The staff just shrugged.
- The dorm rooms are eight bed rooms and you get one tiny combined en suite between eight people. Not acceptable. There are other bathrooms to use, but they NEVER seem to have any hand soap in the dispensers.
- Soggy carpet in the room, very smelly.
- Very weak wi-fi signal.
- Oh and all this for NZ$29 a night. Very expensive.

On my second visit to Taupo I stayed in the YHA. It's FAR nicer. Stay there.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple