“Just a great hostel!”
Review of Base Taupo

Base Taupo
Ranked #17 of 34 Speciality Lodging in Taupo
Reviewed 31 May 2014

Highly recommend Base Taupo. Having stayed in Base before this is a prime example of the good standards they have in New Zealand. Just great hostels. The staff are more than willing to help and are very friendly, BRILLIANT location, a lot of the activities in Taupo will pick up outside Base so you never have to walk too far for those hangover days :) All Base hostels have their own bars which offer good value food, cheap drinks in happy hour and fab nights!!! Its a backpacker bar so you kind of know what to expect but Base do it well. There is a 0 tolerance on drinking in rooms which I know some people would moan about but do you know what, the bar downstairs is brilliant and really social and taupo has great nightlife. Don't worry about preloading in the hostel room just get on it in happy hour and use the base vouvher book you get given (2 for 1 on loads of drinks!!) Good wifi as well $4 for 24 hours or $12 for a week. Very impressed!!

Room Tip: During the winter check out how much a private room is. You might get a bargain. You can also get a...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
BaseTaupoManagement, General Manager at Base Taupo, responded to this reviewResponded 28 October 2014

Hi there!

Thanks for choosing to stay at Base Backpackers Taupo. We appreciate you taking the time to leave such an awesome review. I was particularly pleased to read that you rated your overall experience as 10 out of 10!! So, It sounds like you had a great stay with us which was fantastic to read and exactly what we would hope for.

We hope to again welcome you back to Base Taupo or another Base property in the near future.

Best Regards & Happy Travels,
The Crew @ Base Taupo

Reviewed 20 May 2014

Stayed here for 3 nights over a very busy weekend. The staff were very accommodating, very friendly, very helpful. The place was very very clean. Kitchen was large and well organised.
The rooms were tiny thou!! I was in a 3 bed, which only just fit 3 beds in, let alone 3 people's worth of belongings, a good job we were all friends really. My room was right over the bar again, so didn't get much sleep on the nights I didn't go out.
The bar was okay, floor very sticky, suggesting it's properly not mopped frequently enough. Drinks resonablly priced however the bartender was very rude.
Overall not bad.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back of the hostel when booking.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 23 April 2014

Stayed 1 night at base taupo although didnt actually sleep! Room on first floor overlooking street had just single glazed windows and no air con. During night room became unbearably hot so we had to open window but noise from the street and element bar was so loud even with earplugs it was impossible to sleep. No hot water in morning for showers! Staff didnt seem too bothered either. Just shrugged it off saying "cold showers only today I'm afraid" considering its winter here I'm pretty sure that's not ok!
Kitchen also had no boiling water for a simple cup of tea!
Very poor. Worst hostel experience in new zealand so far.

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank travelingpom27
Jason C, General Manager at Base Taupo, responded to this reviewResponded 27 April 2014

Hi There,
We are very sorry to hear you did not enjoy your stay with us at Base Taupo. In response to your comment about the hot water - this was a plumbing issue which arose overnight and our guest services team managed to get a contractor in first thing in the morning, when the business opened. We resolved the issue by 9.15am on the date you were departing, and gave our guests ample time to shower before check out time. But still, we apologize for any inconvenience this caused you , sometimes maintenance problems arise and we do our utmost to please our guests ASAP. Our guest services team are often complimented on their ability to problem solve and assist guests - I will be talking to the staff member on duty that morning about this concern you had.
In terms of the noise from the bar unfortunately due to our prime location this can sometimes cause disturbance. Although we cannot guarantee noise free rooms we do our best to please customers and would have been happy to move you to a quieter area of the hostel (subject to availability). Our kitchen is well stocked with a hot water dispenser on the wall and also kettles around the kitchen, but we apologize if these may have been in use by other guests.
We would like to offer you a discounted rate for your return trip so we can have the chance to redeem ourselves to you. Please contact me directly to organize this at laura,crowther@stayatbase.com and I will be happy to ensure you have a fantastic stay.
Happy Travels and thank you for your feedback as me and my team are always seeking to make improvements. General Manager - Base Taupo

Reviewed 21 April 2014

I stayed here when I was on the kiwi experince and it as very nice. The ensuite rooms were very reasonable and also quite big. The staff were lovely and the bar underneath is very good for a night out!

Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo

Thank you for taking the time to complete this review. We are thrilled you enjoyed your stay with us - we have a fantastic modern hostel here in Taupo, and are very lucky to live in such a beautiful part of the world so we can ensure all of our guests have a fantastic stay!
Happy onward travels with Kiwi Ex - we hope to welcome you back soon :-)

Reviewed 25 March 2014

I arrived a bit early to check in so the guy behind the reception told me I could stall my luggage and come back in an hour. I asked him what I could do in the meanwhile so they told me to go and visit Spa Thermal Park, which was very good. After about three hours I came back and could check in into my room imediatly. I had booked a Sanctuary (female only) dorm wich had his own bathroom, very nice! The beds were all been made. I went down to ask about the wifi and to get a towel, which was no problem at all. The shower was very good! The next morning I had a breakfast, I was missing some kind of fruit there. Also the housekeeping could maybe pay some more attention for the details in the room. Besides that, I had a great stay, I would reccommend this hostel!

Room Tip: If you want a room just for girls, Sanctuary is a very good option!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 17 March 2014

Arrived in Taupo, having heard and read so much about Base I thought I would give it a try.
Made the mistake of staying there too long
Noisy, rude staff, everything was broken (the laundry room only had one washing machine working for a hostel which can accommodate nearly 500 people!) the kitchen and lounge closed at 11pm so if you were still up after 11 - the only thing you could do is lie in your bed with your hands clenched around your head to block out the extremely loud music coming from the club downstairs. Unless, of course you go out.

One of the scottish guys who works a nightshift at the reception is really rude and unhelpful - I don't understand how someone can get a job like that when they are rude to people, It doesn't cost anything to be friendly, and since they are in the hospitality buisness. being friendly IS their business, as it makes people go and stay again

Base is also the most expensive hostel I have stayed in during my time in NZ - and there isn't much to say that is good about it - I just thought - what am I paying for?

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
Jason C, General Manager at Base Taupo, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2014

Hi there,

I am sorry that your stay with us in February wasn't to your satisfaction. Our hostel sleeps 134 people through a mix of dorm and double rooms. One of the washing machines you refer to had an issue and we were waiting on parts from overseas to fix from the distributor. This machine has subsequently been fixed. Yes, we close our guest kitchen at 11.00 pm for cleaning and reopen it at 5.00 am. For safety reasons this works well. The TV room also closes at 11.00 pm. We have a bar/night venue on the ground floor of the hostel and are located in the restaurant/bar district of Taupo. The majority of our guests enjoy the vibrance and atmosphere of staying in a modern hostel in a central, happening location. The Scottish staff member you refer to is regularly praised for their friendly and attentive service. Our dorm beds start at $29 in February. From my understanding this compares favorably with hostels of our age, condition and location.

All the best.

Regards

Jason Cameron

Reviewed 15 March 2014

I stayed here for one night in a room with private facilities at a cost of $80NZ. I knew it was a backpackers but did not expect to have to climb over drunks and people using their phones while sitting on the stairs. The music from their bar was loud untll 2AM . When i asked the girl on reception when it would finish i was told to stop moaning and go back to my room. No more to say dont go there.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Jason C, General Manager at Base Taupo, responded to this reviewResponded 17 March 2014

Good day,

I am sorry that your experience has not been what you had expected. We have several areas in the property where people can relax and socialise. We encourage people to use these areas rather than congregating on staircases and impeding the access of other guests. We also rely on other guests to demonstrate courtesy and respect for their fellow guests. Yes, we have a bar/night venue on the ground floor of the hostel and are located in the bar/restaurant district where we have other venues situated around us. All our staff are trained to be friendly and polite when dealing with managing customer complaints. If you would like to contact me about the offending staff member I can take this further if you know it is her served you. I can be contacted at Base Taupo.

Kindest Regards