“Couples Retreat”

Ranked #30 of 34 Speciality Lodging in Taupo
Matamata, New Zealand
“Couples Retreat”
Reviewed 10 October 2013

This place is an apartment not a hotel BUT never the less its a nice retreat. It is set In a urban suburb just outside Taupo town. Which is nice not to be on the main drag.
We arrived and as pervious travellers have said a man come out with a clipboard, He was nice enough and upgraded us!! CHOICE!!! The "chateu" was fully occupied. Clean, and quiet. List of rules like any other place.
Would recommend. Adult only though. Would stay there again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 28 August 2013

Im not going to lie we found the place at first odd like many others, its basically a house that has been divided into units and there is no reception. The owner was prompt in turning up and we managed to get in at 12pm which we where very happy with

Once inside though It was like any other hotel but better. Our own wireless internet completely free with no restrictions on the number of devices. first place in NZ we found with this! TV Had seventy channel and the view was amazing!!!! Don't let the outside put you off the inside is great. The price was excellent.

The heating wasn't great but acceptable.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Mandurah, Australia
Reviewed 28 August 2013

This is a little gem. I found this hotel on lastminute.com and booked for one night during a New Zealand drive trip. The price seemed reasonable and the pictures showed a lovely room. I have to say, it more than lived up to expectations, it was luxurious, comfortable and sparkling clean.
My only criticism would be that arriving at night, it was very difficult to locate as although we had a street address, there was no sign apart from the number on the side of the building and a small sign, only visible once inside the driveway. It looked like a private residence. The proprietor came out to greet us after a few minutes knocking on doors.....and we were escorted across grass to our suite, however it was worth the inconvenience and confusion, as it was spectacular. We loved it and would definitely book again, should we be in that area. Thank you for a lovely stay.

Room Tip: Perhaps call before arriving, just to ensure there is someone there to greet you as I knocked on sev...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 August 2013

Oddest place I have ever stayed!!!!

I emailed the owner the night before to ask about the check in time which a speedy reply said 2pm. Myself and my partner arrived at 2:15 on the check in day to find no signs nothing to indicate it was falls chateau.

The hotel is located on a tiny estate where all the houses are showrooms apart from two or three.

A strange man appeared after a few minutes with a clipboard in hand and said he had just arrived. We explained we had booked through hotels.com and had a reservation. He stated he had no contract with hotels.com and he was private accommodation. After showing him the email(which he did not look at) he put us in the king room but stated we had not paid for it and we had only paid for the queen(therefore he did know about our booking)!!! He didn't mention anything about the room and left us!
Possibly the rudest manager I have ever met!!!

Rooms are nice- but you are afraid to do anything.

Huge long list of house rules and charges to go with this for example extra water charges if you use too much water??? And the heater turns off at 22 degrees so its like an ice box!!!

Free wifi is only up to 1GB therefore false advertisement.
No hospitality at all! Would never stay again.
If travelling in winter bring extra blankets and warm pyjamas as its freezing here!!!

Overall the room and accommodation is done to a high standard, however the owner seems to be trying to pull a fast one every time, he seems to have an issue with people using his property. Therefore he is in the wrong business and this spoils the overall stay! Trying to con and save money at all costs and make the biggest profit margin, in my opinion is not hospitality.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ches L

Travellers are raving about these Taupo hotels

Blenheim, New Zealand
Reviewed 20 July 2013

Well I have to say this was the weirdest hotel stay I have had in a while. As the other reviews say, the manager was trigger happy with a label-maker. When we arrived we pulled up got out and the resort manager appeared from out behind a building with a clipboard. Gave us our room key and left back around the building. Another couple arrived two minutes later as we were unloading our bags and he appeared again with clipboard in hand. I'm thinking there must be a camera out front at this stage. The building itself looks like a standard plaster home. The room was a tidy self contained apartment. Very expectable. However we were soon to come across the list of house rules. Laminated was a list of DO NOTS on the wall with fines that would occur if you did any of these. I counted at least seven possible $ fines such as acceptable ones like smoking in the room and others that were a bit over the top like not washing dishes before leaving. Then as we went about settling in we found labels EVERYWHERE. Like on the microwave "no cooking Asian food". On the shower door. By light switches and more. All little reminders of what to do and not do. After that I said to my husband "I'm too scared to sneeze in this place". Unfortunately you do not feel like a guest and it is very hard to get away from it all and be comfortable with those little reminders and rules about the place. We stayed for two nights as did my in-laws in another room. We had no problems and slept fine but I didn't relax fully and made sure all the dishes were washed and put away as to not receive the instant $50 fee off my credit card.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank amberlouises
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 30 June 2013

I'm travelling frequently to Taupo and Rotorua. I always like to try out different accommodations, just for future reference.
Usually I'm looking first at tripadvisor before booking. I missed it this time.
The photos on the booking website are fantastic, it looked very promising.
I had a late check in, after 5 pm. Nobody around, but found the key in the letterbox by accident, and description how to find the entrance around the house.
No other note , no "welcome to the Falls Chateau" or "enjoy your stay" or anything. Only the long list of "DON'T DO" or we charge you. What a rude welcome.
I'm working in the travel industry and I never came across anything like this. This is exactly the opposite what NZ Hospitality stands for.
The room was very nice and the bed linen and towels of high quality, no problem with that.
It's not what you usually expect of being a Lodge. I would call it more a "Commercial Managed Holiday apartment "
Definitely I wouldn't bring any of my clients here.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Ewald B
Havelock North, New Zealand
Reviewed 30 June 2013

If you need space, this is the place for you. Also, if you want a great location, lovely views and a warm place to stay, this is your place. We rented the house with two bedrooms and a bathroom, we also got a lovely kitchen, and 2 huge living areas. Only down side, rather unfriendly instruction notes around the place, but can understand when you are renting such a lovely place you need to remind people to take care. It seems the place can be reconfigured in a number of ways, so it would be fantastic if you had a big group. Recommend it! Wish we could have stayed longer!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple