“Always a pleasure”

Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 11 March 2014

Not pretentious in atmosphere and always a first rate menu and wine list. See you soon for the next special occasion.

Guido P, Manager at Bistro Lago, responded to this reviewResponded 30 March 2014

Dear Peter B,

Thank you very much for your feedback on Tripadvisor, I am glad to hear you enjoyed your recent experience at Bistro Lago.

I will pass your feedback to both front of house and kitchen team

Looking forward in welcoming you back soon for another special occasion.

Reviewed 11 March 2014 via mobile

I had some really great food here. Lamb dish was just amazing and the sorbet was one of the best we had. Well done guys.

Dear deepugupt,

I will pass your feedback to both front of house and kitchen team

Looking forward in welcoming you back soon during your next visit by the Great Lake.

Reviewed 10 March 2014

Went here for a dinner with my brother. The food and the service were both top class. It is expensive, but well worth it if you can afford it. The antarctic toothfish entree was delicious, as was the lamb rump "Madras".

Dear Fabian G,

Reviewed 5 March 2014

We had lunch at BL and enjoyed it so much that we went back the next day for lunch again. And ordered almost the exact items! My favorite by far was the calamari salad - so light and fresh - really delicious and sophisticated. We also enjoyed the caprese salad, the buffalo burger (though it was painfully overcooked both days), and the rocket salad. The salmon blinis and steak tartare were very good, but not as great as the other items. We had Bluff oysters for less than $2 each, which based on our limited NZ experience is QUITE A DEAL (we were charged anywhere from $4.5-$6.5 in Auckland for much lower quality ones). The room is absolutely lovely. Service was very friendly and generally efficient (forgot my rocket one day, but no biggie). Wine list is extensive and reasonably priced.
We would happily return and recommend.

Dear eh555,

The calamari salad is a great dish and yes the Bluff Oysters are fantastic and so fresh.

Reviewed 5 March 2014

Following the Rough Guides advice ,we ate tonight at the Bistro Lago. Everything from start to finish was excellent. The fish was super fresh and wonderfully tasty and we had good advice when selecting wines. We have been on holiday in NZ for 4 weeks and this was by far the best meal. The view from the restaurant is also superb, being in an elevated position.

Dear Genny N,

It is great to know that out of the four weeks you spent in NZ you thought the meal at Bistro Lago was the best you had.