“Please read for clarification” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Camellia Court Motel

Camellia Court Motel
Ranked #56 of 71 Hotels in Taupo
Wellington, New Zealand
“Please read for clarification”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2013

Now, for the review below, this street is FAR from dodgey, yeah, the street doesn't have trimmed lawns and really nice cars parked in the driveways but there are WAY worse streets in Taupo, message me for the street names and you can drive fast down them.

One thing my partner commented on, was that it was well off the street (this is good), I couldn't park my car near my room, so I parked it outside the main reception building near the security lights. My car was still there in the morning, with all 4 tyres...............

I was dubious about staying here, the reviews weren't flash, it's was super cheap and it was in a so called rough street. It took us AGES to decide. There was a good $40 difference between this and the next option (we used that for dinner YUM YUM). We got a basic room, the 2nd room up from super cheap cheap. So we had a tv, microwave, fridge, jug, plates, cutlery. We just wanted a bed and tv for Sharknado and Team NZ. The mattresses were thin, so we pulled the top ones down onto the bottom mattresses so we had double the depth, using our kiwi ingenuity.

The heater heated up the room, as it was FREEZING in Taupo last night, -4 degrees in spring! I was nice and cozy, there were heaps of duvets (2 bunks, 4 mattresses, 4 duvets), heaps of pillows.

The bathroom was a different story, needs a little maintenance, mainly the shower cubicle, I can see there was been some painting going on. But the way I see it, the better the place looks, the higher the price....

Of my whole week staying in different places, it was the quietest. I slept like a baby till about 0730, as there was a school group staying, they were running around like blue bummed flies and sleep ended about then.

If you want 4 walls, friendly staff and are able to think outside your comfort zone and want to save money for a nice meal out in Taupo, then this is your place. Set low expectations and don't believe everything you hear (or read in this case) ....

Oh and the flowers are lovely! All the trees are in flower and so many different colours!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Maria C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Wellington, New Zealand
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2013

My 6 friends and I had been planning to come to this event for 2 years. We booked this motel early 2012. Late 2012 we found that our booking had been confused with another and we no longer had rooms. We re booked here and I confirmed 3 months ago. On arrival after a long trip from Wellington we found that we were no longer booked in and the owner had no memory of our communications. We were offered some accommodation that we would have to move out of for Saturday night. he offered us cabins which would have been well suited as bush huts. the bathroom facilities were all out side the cabins. Another customer who was booking out after a 5 minute stay quietly told us about the dark and dingy rooms and single bar heater. We high-tailed it out of there and found great accommodation with the help of staff at the Isite. We later heard that the area around Camellia Court was not safe and we would have been lucky not to have had our cars damaged. A lucky escape we reckon!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Carol P

Travellers are raving about these Taupo hotels

Auckland Region, New Zealand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2013

You get what you pay for. Affordable if traveling on a budget.

Pros:
Cheap
Good kitchenette
Nice owners
Good little kids playground
Good heating
Ample Parking
Quiet

Cons:
Very dated
Not the cleanest room
Very uncomfortable beds
Very uncomfortable couch
Located in a rough street

The owners were very friendly and helpful. I would recommend staying here if you are just passing through. We were here for three nights and found ourselves craving a goodnights sleep by then.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2013 via mobile

Arrived a few hours late office was still open. No issues checking in was offered an upgrade to a motel room which we declined as we just needed a bed. Got shown our cabin which we were thrilled with. Was really cheap and we were so surprised to find a heater fridge tv and kettle even cutlery in our cabin. The beds were extremely comfortable. Staff were great. When I go to Taupo I will most definitely be booking back into the cabins here. They are only a few meters to the shared facilities but for the cheap price to stay this was well worth it. Thanks guys you well exceeded our expectations.

• Stayed June 2013
New Zealand
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2013

Shop around before you decide to stay here. Taupo has some well maintained and clean places to stay, and at the present time this is not one of them.
I don't mind old, or dated, which these units are, but these units are unclean and requiring maintenance. Plumbing and Electrical maintenance is required, and units do not have smoke alarms as required by law.
I would expect to pay a lot less for this accommodation, as it is.
There are much better properties around for less.

Room Tip: These units are in a quiet area, so I think all would be roughly similar. The 3 Units our group stay...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Flutterbie
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2013 via mobile

Very good price for a room. With kitchen and bathroom with hot water is a grate place if you are traveling in your car or a tend to change that accommodation in taupo.
Kind people always trying to help you.

• Stayed April 2013
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2013 via mobile

Booked on line as images looked nice and exceptable for what it cost.On arrival all was not as it seemed!
A family weekend turned out rather embarrassing for me when the kids and there partners were shown their cabins.
Tired,dated and smelly.The shared kitchen was no better.Only 3 coffee mugs between 8 of us and no teaspoons.
The showers and toilets needed a janola fix!
Lucky for me after a few drinks outside as the smell inside was to much to bare,the kids were able to laugh about it.
We only stayed for the one night thank goodness.I slept in my clothes as wasn't to fussed on the. so called clean linen.
one of the kids had cigarette burns in their sheets!
Lesson learnt.Will spend the extra and will not stay here again

Stayed March 2013, travelled with family