“GREAT PEOPLE GREAT PLACE!!!!”

Camellia Court Motel
Ranked #54 of 68 Hotels in Taupo
Reviewed 27 November 2013

I dont know what everyones bad reviews are about- but we felt extremely welcomed by the owners. in fact we have been returning for the last four years to get a good laugh! we never drive past Taupo without stopping over at Camellia Court Motel. GREAT experiences and GREAT south african humour. everybody needs to brighten up, nobody smiles or laughs anymore these days. lighten up people! and enjoy what life has to offer- where else can you get such great company and entertainment for $95 for the whole family, infact you get much more than what you pay for! There is a beautiful huge walnut tree which the owners are only too happy to let you pick and collect your own nuts. so much fun for the children to collect their own nuts! unforgettable memories are held here.

Room Tip: dont take everything so seriously, lighten up! your on holiday!!!!
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
OckieDavel, Owner at Camellia Court Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 December 2013

Thanks!

Reviewed 6 October 2013

We purchased this unit online based on price and were aware that it was a budget motel however budget is no excuse for unclean.
We had booked two units for 3 nights. On arrival we were asked for full payment before we had sighted the rooms and this was the first mistake we made. Had we checked out the units we definitely would NOT have checked in.
No hairdryers in the room despite advertising that all units had hairdryers provided.
Units are tired and basic . The furnishings are scruffy, paint work grubby , dirty marks on walls, curtains, and flooring. Lolly papers under the bed.The microwave was not clean inside and the shower unit was dirty. Hot water was also an issue in the shower.
The units are quiet so we did manage to sleep well on the 1st night despite having no extra blankets. We had to take the duvet off the spare single bed as it was very cold during the night and no extra blankets / pillows provided. I asked the following morning if the TV could be checked out and I also wanted the shower unit cleaned. When we returned later in the day the shower unit was marginally cleaner and the TV had been replaced but this TV was worse than the original one. No colour and a very loud humming noise.
We decided to check out early but did have a concern about getting our money refunded for the following two nights however this was agreed to after a very lenghty discussion...
The staff were friendly enough but this complex is badly in need of a real good spruce up.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank NZMumWellington
Reviewed 18 September 2013

Now, for the review below, this street is FAR from dodgey, yeah, the street doesn't have trimmed lawns and really nice cars parked in the driveways but there are WAY worse streets in Taupo, message me for the street names and you can drive fast down them.

One thing my partner commented on, was that it was well off the street (this is good), I couldn't park my car near my room, so I parked it outside the main reception building near the security lights. My car was still there in the morning, with all 4 tyres...............

I was dubious about staying here, the reviews weren't flash, it's was super cheap and it was in a so called rough street. It took us AGES to decide. There was a good $40 difference between this and the next option (we used that for dinner YUM YUM). We got a basic room, the 2nd room up from super cheap cheap. So we had a tv, microwave, fridge, jug, plates, cutlery. We just wanted a bed and tv for Sharknado and Team NZ. The mattresses were thin, so we pulled the top ones down onto the bottom mattresses so we had double the depth, using our kiwi ingenuity.

The heater heated up the room, as it was FREEZING in Taupo last night, -4 degrees in spring! I was nice and cozy, there were heaps of duvets (2 bunks, 4 mattresses, 4 duvets), heaps of pillows.

The bathroom was a different story, needs a little maintenance, mainly the shower cubicle, I can see there was been some painting going on. But the way I see it, the better the place looks, the higher the price....

Of my whole week staying in different places, it was the quietest. I slept like a baby till about 0730, as there was a school group staying, they were running around like blue bummed flies and sleep ended about then.

If you want 4 walls, friendly staff and are able to think outside your comfort zone and want to save money for a nice meal out in Taupo, then this is your place. Set low expectations and don't believe everything you hear (or read in this case) ....

Oh and the flowers are lovely! All the trees are in flower and so many different colours!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Maria C
Reviewed 24 July 2013

My 6 friends and I had been planning to come to this event for 2 years. We booked this motel early 2012. Late 2012 we found that our booking had been confused with another and we no longer had rooms. We re booked here and I confirmed 3 months ago. On arrival after a long trip from Wellington we found that we were no longer booked in and the owner had no memory of our communications. We were offered some accommodation that we would have to move out of for Saturday night. he offered us cabins which would have been well suited as bush huts. the bathroom facilities were all out side the cabins. Another customer who was booking out after a 5 minute stay quietly told us about the dark and dingy rooms and single bar heater. We high-tailed it out of there and found great accommodation with the help of staff at the Isite. We later heard that the area around Camellia Court was not safe and we would have been lucky not to have had our cars damaged. A lucky escape we reckon!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Carol P
Reviewed 20 July 2013

You get what you pay for. Affordable if traveling on a budget.

Pros:
Cheap
Good kitchenette
Nice owners
Good little kids playground
Good heating
Ample Parking
Quiet

Cons:
Very dated
Not the cleanest room
Very uncomfortable beds
Very uncomfortable couch
Located in a rough street

The owners were very friendly and helpful. I would recommend staying here if you are just passing through. We were here for three nights and found ourselves craving a goodnights sleep by then.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 July 2013 via mobile

Arrived a few hours late office was still open. No issues checking in was offered an upgrade to a motel room which we declined as we just needed a bed. Got shown our cabin which we were thrilled with. Was really cheap and we were so surprised to find a heater fridge tv and kettle even cutlery in our cabin. The beds were extremely comfortable. Staff were great. When I go to Taupo I will most definitely be booking back into the cabins here. They are only a few meters to the shared facilities but for the cheap price to stay this was well worth it. Thanks guys you well exceeded our expectations.

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed 8 April 2013

Shop around before you decide to stay here. Taupo has some well maintained and clean places to stay, and at the present time this is not one of them.
I don't mind old, or dated, which these units are, but these units are unclean and requiring maintenance. Plumbing and Electrical maintenance is required, and units do not have smoke alarms as required by law.
I would expect to pay a lot less for this accommodation, as it is.
There are much better properties around for less.

Room Tip: These units are in a quiet area, so I think all would be roughly similar. The 3 Units our group stay...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends