“Comfort, great hosts, great service”
Review of Minarapa Lodge

Minarapa Lodge
Minarapa Lodge
Ranked #19 of 33 Speciality Lodging in Taupo
“Comfort, great hosts, great service”
Reviewed 17 December 2012

My partner and I, along with a friend, stayed at the beautiful Minarapa Lodge after driving from Hamilton to Taupo on our way home to Wellington. The Lodge is now under new ownership and the hosts Shaun and Pep and their three delightful daughters were most welcoming and accommodating, allowing us to trial our brand new air rifle on the grounds and contacting a taxi service on our behalf when we decided to go into the township for dinner. The Lodge is spacious, well-appointed and boasts a huge pool table, spa pool and park-like grounds. The rooms are spotless, beautifully furnished in up-to-date style, comfortable (I slept very well!) and there were lovely little personal touches everywhere, such as freshly ground coffee and biscuits available in the rooms and chocolates on the pillows at night. Our breakfast was delicious, prepared by Shaun who is a qualified chef and great to chat with, and specific food requirements were happily catered to which I thought very kind. The bathroom adjoining the two rooms we stayed in was beautiful, well-stocked with various toiletries and included a hair dryer and straightener. We paid about $300 for the two rooms, which considering the high standard of the accommodation and service we found very reasonable. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay, will definitely be back next time we are in the area!

• Stayed December 2012

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Wellington
Reviewed 24 April 2012

Minarapa Lodge is a country stay, about 14 km north of Taupo. When you leave the street you drive through an alley of big trees untill you arrive at the house. It is a wonderful place and the hosts are very friendly and helpful. Barbara is born in New Zealand but speaks the German language very well. My English - I am German - is not as good as her German, though I live since 15 years in a country where everyone speaks English. When I asked for help or information I got it: The hosts gave me advises where to go in Taupo, they gave me books to read, they had time for a chat, I got the recipe for the self-baked bread, as I was freezing I got a hot-water bottle for my bed, ....
I had a good sleep in these quiet surrondings and got a square breakfast.
The hosts have a friendly dog and a nice cat.
And I just want to mention: Every corner in this house is clean.
I love this place. But if you want to see the lake Taupo from your room, if you want to be in-town, if you don't like to be in the nature - don't go there.
All others are very welcome!
Enjoy the stay
Ingrid

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
london
Reviewed 13 February 2012

A very pleasant house with friendly hosts. There is no wifi and Internet access was not offered. The bedrooms are large and well appointed with views of the lovely gardens. As opposed to the other b&bs we stayed at in NZ we were not asked to share evening drinks with our hosts, which, considering the house was a fair drive from Taupo, was a little disappointing. Breakfast, while perfectly adequate was also not to the standard of the other b & bs. We felt the place was expensive when compared with others where the facilities were superior.

Room Tip: Make sure you get an en suite room, it is a fair walk to the bathroom from the other one. If you wan...