“A true find...”

Ranked #21 of 34 Speciality Lodging in Taupo
Wellington, Wellington, New Zealand
“A true find...”
Reviewed 16 January 2013

A short distance out of Taupo township this place is a true find. Hosted by Shaun and Pepper Bragg (& their 3 beautiful young daughters) this place feels like a 5 star lodge. Recently purchased by Shaun and Pepper they have wasted no time in updating the guest rooms and bathrooms into very tasteful accommodation. The setting is beautiful with a large rambling garden which includes a grass tennis court for the energetic. Their background in hospitality shows through (Shaun is a qualified Chef and Pep has exclusive lodge experience) so nothing is a problem when it comes to organising excursions or deciding on a breakfast or dinner menu. We had a great evening meal with another couple from Austria who were staying. The venison was superb. Hard to find any negatives but maybe if you don't enjoy friendly hosts, great food in a relaxed setting (not to mention value for money) then this might not be the place for you. Great for families and couples alike. This would also be a great setting for a wedding. Good luck for what we are sure will be a busy year ahead Shaun and Pep!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Perth, Western Australia, Australia
Reviewed 7 January 2013

This was a lovely place to stay and I highly recommend it. Don't be put off by earlier, negative reviews: Minarapa Lodge has changed hands and is now run by Shaun and Pep who were wonderful hosts. Shaun is a chef and on request will cook dinner for you. Don't miss the opportunity - the food was a highlight for us. The rooms are beautifully appointed with lots of extra touches.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 6 January 2013

11 days of flat out eating great Kiwi food and this was the highlight for both of us. Arriving in Taupo during peak holiday season, we chose the easy option to have Sean and Pep feed us.

What a meal: four item tasting plate, perfectly finished venison in Pinot Gris and Moroccan spices, followed up with a berry fruit roulade and liquorice ice cream dessert. We'd have been crazy to go anywhere else the next evening. My only disaapointment was not bringing back a couple of fat rainbow trout for the master chef's attention (my one decent opportunity got away). So we had the consolation prize of Sean's signature dish, glazed lamb shanks on a seasonal,vegetable stack.

When you add minute attention to detail in plating out, a personal introduction to each dish by the chef and an opportunity to discuss its production over coffee in relaxed company, away from the tourist crowds in downtown Taupo, you've started to work out why we'll be back for a longer stay next time.

Room Tip: The larger suite at the end of the guest wing has its own balcony. The smaller room has a bit more v...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 December 2012

My partner and I, along with a friend, stayed at the beautiful Minarapa Lodge after driving from Hamilton to Taupo on our way home to Wellington. The Lodge is now under new ownership and the hosts Shaun and Pep and their three delightful daughters were most welcoming and accommodating, allowing us to trial our brand new air rifle on the grounds and contacting a taxi service on our behalf when we decided to go into the township for dinner. The Lodge is spacious, well-appointed and boasts a huge pool table, spa pool and park-like grounds. The rooms are spotless, beautifully furnished in up-to-date style, comfortable (I slept very well!) and there were lovely little personal touches everywhere, such as freshly ground coffee and biscuits available in the rooms and chocolates on the pillows at night. Our breakfast was delicious, prepared by Shaun who is a qualified chef and great to chat with, and specific food requirements were happily catered to which I thought very kind. The bathroom adjoining the two rooms we stayed in was beautiful, well-stocked with various toiletries and included a hair dryer and straightener. We paid about $300 for the two rooms, which considering the high standard of the accommodation and service we found very reasonable. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay, will definitely be back next time we are in the area!

• Stayed December 2012
Wellington
Reviewed 24 April 2012

Minarapa Lodge is a country stay, about 14 km north of Taupo. When you leave the street you drive through an alley of big trees untill you arrive at the house. It is a wonderful place and the hosts are very friendly and helpful. Barbara is born in New Zealand but speaks the German language very well. My English - I am German - is not as good as her German, though I live since 15 years in a country where everyone speaks English. When I asked for help or information I got it: The hosts gave me advises where to go in Taupo, they gave me books to read, they had time for a chat, I got the recipe for the self-baked bread, as I was freezing I got a hot-water bottle for my bed, ....
I had a good sleep in these quiet surrondings and got a square breakfast.
The hosts have a friendly dog and a nice cat.
And I just want to mention: Every corner in this house is clean.
I love this place. But if you want to see the lake Taupo from your room, if you want to be in-town, if you don't like to be in the nature - don't go there.
All others are very welcome!
Enjoy the stay
Ingrid

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
london
Reviewed 13 February 2012

A very pleasant house with friendly hosts. There is no wifi and Internet access was not offered. The bedrooms are large and well appointed with views of the lovely gardens. As opposed to the other b&bs we stayed at in NZ we were not asked to share evening drinks with our hosts, which, considering the house was a fair drive from Taupo, was a little disappointing. Breakfast, while perfectly adequate was also not to the standard of the other b & bs. We felt the place was expensive when compared with others where the facilities were superior.

Room Tip: Make sure you get an en suite room, it is a fair walk to the bathroom from the other one. If you wan...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends