Lowest prices for your stay
US$128
US$115
Expedia.comUS$129
Hotels.comUS$129
eDreamsUS$128
All reviews great location across the road spa bath great stay town centre short drive lake accommodation apartment motel balcony kitchenette nz
Selected filters
Reviewed 20 June 2019

My stay was comfortable and clean. Proximity to motorway was ideal for travel. The views of lake were breathtaking. Enjoyed every minute of my stay. I look forward to my next visit with friends in future.

Room tip: Clean and tidy
Date of stay: June 2019
Trip type: Travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
SailsontheLake, Manager at Sails On The Lake, responded to this reviewResponded 22 June 2019

Thank you for the awesome review of our Motel, and I'm glad to hear there will be another visit from you in the future.

Reviewed 17 June 2019

We needed a place with two bedrooms (couple and a single), and this was the best place we stayed on a 2-week trip in NZ. Comfy bed, modern bathrooms, large kitchen, and to top it off, there is a washer AND clothes dryer in the apartment (we rejoiced about the dryer--they are not standard when traveling in NZ). The view from the room was great, too, and the host friendly and helpful. The only thing we found to be lacking was comfortable living room furniture, but this was the case every place we stayed. Note that this place is not an easy walk to town. It's doable if you have the time and energy, but it's not right on the edge of the main shopping and restaurant area. Do eat at Portofino--it was the best meal we had in Taupo. And if you're going to soak at Wairakei Terraces, skip the geyser walk. Not worth the money.

Trip type: Travelled with friends
3  Thank ZoomLady

Thank you for taking the time to review our Motel and Taupo. We appreciate the comments for future guests.

Reviewed 5 June 2019

Very friendly reception, allowed us to check in early and check out late. Tidy, bright room. Paid extra for a lake view and was not disappointed. Also the spa pool was very clean and nice. Just an overnight stay but absolutely brilliant all round

Date of stay: May 2019
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
SailsontheLake, Manager at Sails On The Lake, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2019

Thank you, maybe you'll come back and stay with us longer next time.
Taupo has a lot to offer it's visitors.

Reviewed 3 June 2019 via mobile

When you ask for what you want it turns out that you get it. Initially I’d planned to spend several days in Taupo so it was very important to me to find somewhere to base myself. Then my plans changed and I ended up making what was almost a fly-in-fly-out visit – dashing in at 1:30 pm to dump my bags before a cruise on the lake, not returning till after dinner then up early and on to Rotorua where I would be spending the next night. The change in plans meant that it no longer mattered where I stayed as I was only going to be there to shower and sleep, but I had been emailing with Mellisa from Sails early on in the piece and she had been so delightful, knowledgeable and accommodating that I decided to spend the money and stay at Sails, right across from the lake, anyway.

Travelling alone, I’m a bit sensitive to other people’s noise and they had to put me in apartment six: at the end of the upstairs front row it has the best view and with no one in the apartment next door I had a lovely quiet night. And the fridge was the quietest hotel fridge I’ve ever come across. Bliss.

Things that were great: air conditioning! Mellisa’s dad Arthur was a fantastic host. I was offered a bottle of real milk when I arrived. They had decent-sized drinking glasses for the thirsty, unexpectedly nice cutlery, and decaf as well as coffee for those of us who don’t need any more waking up. There was a huge spa in the bathroom that I didn’t have time to use, they got me a discount on Ernest Kemp cruises on the lake, my room had a king bed and loads of power points, albeit in some odd places. The colour scheme was really nice, the artwork was original and the excellent water pressure and heated towel rails in the bathroom were much appreciated, as well as the fact that the windows are tinted for privacy.

One night was nowhere near enough, but at least I know where to come back to next time.

Trip type: Travelled solo
SailsontheLake, Manager at Sails On The Lake, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2019

Wow you can come back any time you like. Remember I told you that I taught Mellisa everything she knows.
That was an awesome review and we appreciate the comments.
I do hope you'll make it back this way in the future.

Reviewed 31 May 2019

Immaculate accommodation, located about 2 minutes drive from town centre. Rooms are very neat and tidy, the property is well maintained with great parking, and the staff are friendly and helpful. The view is just amazing. I would recommend to anyone, and will definitely stay here next time I am in Taupo.

Trip type: Travelled solo
SailsontheLake, Manager at Sails On The Lake, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2019

Thank you your review of our motel.
We appreciate the time you took to write us a wonderful review.
We look forward to your next visit to Taupo.