“Peaceful haven”
Review of Lake Taupo Lodge

Lake Taupo Lodge
Ranked #1 of 34 Speciality Lodging in Taupo
Reviewed 24 April 2014

We recently spent two nights at Lake Taupo Lodge. Our room was very comfortable with a view of the beautiful garden and the Lake beyond.The Lodge has a lovely ambience with superb rooms in which to relax and enjoy the views. The breakfasts, beautifully prepared by our hosts Gary and Shirley were delicious. Both of them were most hospitable and could not have been more helpful, giving us the benefit of their local knowledge. We highly recommend that you stay there.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Ken M

Reviewed 19 April 2014

Gary and Shirley were perfect hosts for our anniversary celebration. Great attention to detail throughout the lodge it was certainly a highlight of our NZ trip. I would highly recommend the lodge if visiting Taupo. The view across the lake is majestic and the gardens of the property are stunning. I would certainly return next time I am in New Zealand!. I have already recommended the lodge to our friends planning to tour NZ this year. (Loved the gourmet breakfast )
Ralph & Diana

Room Tip: All the room are excellent with fabulous views
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 April 2014

My wife and I dropped in for a night on our tour of NZ. What a great place with wonderful hosts.
The gardens are beautiful and the view over the lake in the evening was fantastic. I would thoroughly recommend a stay here if you are visiting Lake Taupo

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank grania s
Reviewed 9 April 2014

My husband and I recently married at Lake Taupo Lodge and we have to say we had the best day of our lives. Such a beautiful setting, best hospitality and we were thoroughly spoilt and looked after. Many happy memories for us and all our guests. We wouldn't change a thing and recommend this Lodge to anyone looking for a romantic get away.

Room Tip: The Lake Suite has the best view, Frank, Lloyd, Wright Suites are outside of the Lodge, lovely if yo...
Reviewed 8 April 2014

Thor and I stayed here for one night after a long trip from Wellington. We were welcomed by Gary, who showed us around the property and into our room. The room was cozy and comfortable, however it wasn't what I expected for the price we paid. Our stay was very nice, I just feel as if we paid too much for the room we stayed in. Breakfast the next morning was very lovely with nice pastries and a warm cooked breakfast. I would stay here again, but I think next time I would stay for longer so that I am able to enjoy the beautiful gardens and the views around the lodge. We were happy with our stay, we just feel as if it is a little overpriced. Also, Gary was very nice and helpful and told us different places we could and different things to do. Gary also took a photo of us at the end of our stay to put into his guestbook, I thought that was a very nice idea. Thank you for the stay!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 April 2014

Just returned from a 4 night stay to the beautiful Lake Taupo region of New Zealand. We were lucky enough to spend one of those nights at the breathtaking Lake Taupo Lodge. Exquisite, manicured gardens greeted us upon arrival. The lodge itself was beautifully furnished and offered stunning views of the lake and surrounding mountains. The lodge offers a luxurious and relaxing atmosphere and is the perfect base to enjoy the spectacular sights and activities the region has to offer. Gary and Shirley were perfect hosts and the food we ate whilst there was excellent. Local venison the highlight. Looking forward to a return visit soon to tangle with some of the region's famous trout. Highly recommend this place.
Andrew and Julie

Reviewed 23 March 2014

It is with a sad heart I write this review. If you are after a romantic relaxing getaway with modern conveniences and premium 4 star hotel standards, don't go here. We paid $565 per night, which included breakfast, it was a wet weekend no umbrella's offered and our room was outside along an uncovered path, so we got wet.
Gary was very inviting, his wife never introduced herself, too busy making a sale due to her business being in real estate. We were told not to talk to the chef as this stopped him working after the breakfast had been finished. We had requested a picnic, but found out this had been cancelled on us without any prior communication, when we were ready to leave for lunch. When you are in love, who cares about a little rain.
Massage company that came out was great, the chef was of a good standard and very accomodating with our food requirements.
The bed was too hard you could feel the springs, no pillow menu, bed's need pillow topper at least. The room had no table high enough to work from i.e. laptop, so it was on my lap on the bed. The TV was in a cabinet in the corner at ground level with no facing chairs if you decided to use it. The shower floor, river pebbles was slippery, especialy after a massage and a glass shelf in the shower was in a dangerous position.
Overall the complex is tired and dated, we will not recommend or go back

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
LakeTaupoLodge, Owner at Lake Taupo Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 28 March 2014

I am absolutely stunned by your review. So much of this is just not factual. You contacted me on the 17th of February informing me of your severe illness (of which you were happy to tell others, which is why I mention it here) that affected your lower spine thus you were only unable to sit for a very short period if at all. You indicated you preferred be either lying down or standing up. I spent considerable time on the phone with you over several phone calls and emails trying to ensure we could make things as comfortable and easy for you as was possible in the circumstances to ensure a lasting memory. I can’t tell you how empathetic I am to your situation.

I’m unsure how or why you had a problem with a table and couch as your disability prevented you from sitting there. The bed you were in is a Sealy Posturepedic with six pillows available in your suite of varying thicknesses and inners from down to high quality poly cotton and there is a very comfortable three seater couch and coffee table from which to watch TV (if one is able to sit for that long). I find it difficult to imagine with your unfortunate illness that you were able to even think about sitting on a couch or find much comfort in any bed.

The shower floor is a pebble stone and gets nothing but rave reviews and people asking how they can source the stone pebbles. Over the past 8 years we have never had a problem with anyone slipping on them. I’m sure there are very few shower floors that are not slippery when one is covered with massage oil but will definitely bear this in mind and warn people who have massages in the future.

We have umbrellas at both the main entrance and the door from the main building to the suite - a short 9 stride walk (seven metres) freely available. We will make sure there is an umbrella in every suite from now on.

We went to great lengths to ensure you were given a special four course dinner and arranged for you to eat at the bar rather than sitting in the dining room as you needed to eat standing up. With regard to being told not to talk to the chef after breakfast - the chef doesn’t work once breakfast service is over - our house staff do the clean-up and I always encourage rapport with our chef in any case as he is the key to ensuring everyone gets exactly what they like and I like him to hear any feedback directly from guests so I'm not sure where this came from.

Civil Defence had issued a warning the day of your planned picnic, for people to consider staying indoors as severe gales were forecast to hit the Taupo region – for this reason we didn’t pack a picnic lunch and I explained the reason to you and informed you we had deducted the picnic with wine off your bill. Maybe I was presumptuous here but I would not have been a very good host had I encouraged you to go out where you had to stand to eat in what we were told was going to be a severe cyclone and happily taken the money.

Our Lodge is inspired by Frank Lloyd Wright to reflect a more art deco style of which you may not be a fan or understand architecture and interior furnishings in that style. The Lodge was refurbished completely four and a half years ago and is stringently maintained. I‘m at a loss to know what more we could do.

To say we bent over backwards to ensure you were made to feel comfortable and well looked after is an understatement.

I truly am completely taken aback and hurt by this review.

Having said all of this I sincerely wish you the very best for the most difficult few months you have a head of you. Thank you for coming to stay and I regret wholeheartedly that you had so many problems with finding comfort here.

Thank you for your kind comments written in our guest book on your departure. Reads: -

“Thank you for the care and attention. Please thank Geraldine for the lovely massages, and please thank David for the fine dining.
Thank you again for making our wedding anniversary special Thank you again.”

Kristie and Drue.

Good luck for the future.
Gary