“Mixed messages”

Price range: US$10 - US$26
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Olives Restaurant is located in the central city, offering our guests fine Italian and Continental cuisine, while dining in a warm and relaxed atmosphere. Olives is fully licensed and also offers a takeaway menu. Come dine by the open fire or outside on warm summer nights. We look forward to welcoming you.
Reviewed 7 October 2013 via mobile

After a shaky start re Grabone vouchers when booking. We enjoyed our meals and were heartened to see Italians in the kitchen, as Indian front of house does tend to make one worry.. When entering an Italian restaurant.
I ordered salmon on spanakopita out of shear curiosity. It was yummy though how it found its way into an Italian restaurant remains a mystery.
Upon leaving the same rule changing of the vouchers was tried on again by the same person who took my booking and told me it would not be a problem. Grrr!!
Overall pleasant enough experience, but their is something odd about the place.

Reviewed 4 October 2013

We were attracted to get into this restaurant by the big sign saying that they have lamb. (false advertising!!) Very disappointed! They don't even have it on the menu.

So I ordered the steak and seafood for myself. I asked for medium, it came out to be well down with some plastic on the steak. I asked for the Indian gentlemen / owner re my steak. He said he will check with the kitchen.

Surprisingly, he grabbed the piece of plastic off my steak with his fingers to bring to the kitchen to show the chef (of course his fingers touched my steak, with him holding a pen at the same time). omg! Talk about hygiene!

My dad was shocked, so he wanted to cancel everything that he added, pay them for everything and leave. And go somewhere else.

He came back to us explained that because I left the steak on the plate for extra five minutes, that made it well done, it was actually medium cook when it came to the table. (wow! Really?!) and he ignored the plastic.

I said never mind,and he can just take them away. He must have thought I didn't want to pay for my meal. He said I am being difficult. A melt piece of plastic was sticked on my steak! You expected me to eat that?! After you touched it with your dirty fingers?! I am difficult? Sure!

I will recommend you to try their pricey $12 canned-taste soup, if you like Campbell's soup. They don't come with bread, there will be an extra $2. It will be automatically added to your bill. Namaste.

1  Thank Chloe604
Reviewed 21 September 2013

Went to Olives for a meal on a cold night and sat by a lovely warm fire. The service was fabulous and it was the best meal I've had out since I came to New Zealand two years ago. The prices were very reasonable and I highly recommend Olives to anyone visiting Taupo.

Reviewed 23 August 2013

Had a fabulous meal, seafood rissotto...amazing...there was a roaring fire, (a must in Taupo), staff were very efficient and attentive. The pricing was very good. This was my second visit and will definitely go again when next in Taupo.

Reviewed 12 August 2013 via mobile

We ate here on a Sunday night in winter so it was a little quite, however the service was great the music was nice and it was a very well presented Resturant, then we ate there food we had coconut prawns for entree and they were mouth watering, I had a steak topped with seafood and white wine garlic sauce it was the best steak I've had in months, my partner had macroni spinacha and it was also amazing,
Recommend to all to visit