“Nice hotel, staff not quite switched on”
Review of Hilton Lake Taupo

Ranked #7 of 69 Hotels in Taupo
Sydney
“Nice hotel, staff not quite switched on”
Reviewed 12 October 2011

Taupo is a lovely spot and the Hilton is in a heritage spot but quite a long way from the lake. Had a lovely view (when the weather was clear) of Mt Ruapehu.

Kiwi hotels seem to have a lowish staying price but like to charge like a wounded bull for anything not included. The restaurant was very nice and properly priced (not cheap). I do really question how many people use their internet service at NZD 25 a day. Give it free and charge everyone $2 more per room! Bicycle hire at $35 for 4 hours (I can't remember it was too sillly to bother with) meant the bike rack was always full. My suggestion would be to offer them for free and make the customer want to come back.

Minor hassles at the front desk where we did not get good callbacks on Spa appointments and they just were a little "off" on most requests. Nobody bothered to come out to the car to see if we needed a hand with the bags which was very odd.

Nice place, lovely location, management needs a kick in the pants.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
hiltonlaketaupo, Manager at Hilton Lake Taupo, responded to this review, 17 October 2011
Dear Aussie_Andrew,

I appreciate you taking the time to post feedback regarding your recent stay with us. It is pleasing to read that you enjoyed the panoramic lake and mountain views offered from Hilton Lake Taupo. A sneak peak of Mt Ruapehu on a cloudy day can be simply amazing!

I am sorry to read that you were dissatisfied with the additional charges incurred for some services at the hotel. You will appreciate that while New Zealand hotels do occasionally charge additional fees for services such as internet, accommodation rates are generally reflective of this compared to offshore hotels who may charge slightly higher accommodation rates. We do find being located in a regional town and as a resort hotel our rates need to be accessible to a range of guests.

The bicycles available for hire at the hotel are provided by a local supplier, hence incurring a fee for rental of these. These receive good use in summer and are a fantastic way to explore our great region while encouraging guests to think "green".

I appreciate your feedback regarding front desk and have spoken to my concierge liaison and front office manager to ensure we are continuing to provide the great level of personal service we are known for.

Thank you once again for taking the time to provide your feedback, it certainly assists us to improve. Should you return to Great Lake Taupo in the future, please do not hesitate to contact myself directly.

Hotel Manager | Hilton Lake Taupo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (411)
  • Korean first
Monaco
Reviewed 10 October 2011

Was ungraded to a one bedroom apartment. While this is a very nice room, it's spoilt by the fact that it's completely unsuitable for getting work done in. Positives:

- Excellent view over the lake.

- Very spacious.

- Tastefully furnished.

- Good service from reception staff.

Negatives:

- Wireless internet access was slow and unreliable.

- Wired internet access was unusable as the cable is at a tiny desk in the bedroom that's too small to put a laptop on. I have no idea why they bothered installing it. Perhaps it was a box ticking exercise so they could say "yes we have wired internet".

- There are no power sockets anywhere near any of the seats in the living room, so nowhere to get some work done.

- The bed was two singles pushed together so not very comfortable.

- Indifferent and uncaring service from restaurant staff.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
hiltonlaketaupo, Manager at Hilton Lake Taupo, responded to this review, 12 October 2011
Dear Mr Cunningham.

I appreciate you taking the time to post feedback regarding your recent stay with us, I appreciate that you are also one of our very valued Hilton Hhonors members.

We do endeavour to offer the highest level of service and accommodation offering and it would appear that on this occasion we failed to meet your expectations.

I appreciate your positive comments. I am however sorry to hear that we were not allowed the opportunity to remedy the "not so positives".

I will certainly investigate further our wireless internet service within the room you occupied. I am pleased to advise that we are currently upgrading our wired internet solution into the hotel and will be one of only a few hotels in Taupo to offer a higher speed, fibre optic service from November onwards.

We cater for many corporate guests at the hotel, this being an important market for us; often holding smaller conferences and meetings in our apartments. Our fully equipped business centre is also available 24-7.

I do hope that despite your disappointment on this occasion, we have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the hotel at some point in the future.

Scotland
Reviewed 5 October 2011

Stayed one night but should have stayed a lot longer. Rooms spacious, very clean, well designed and a comfy bed. My room was at the back of the hotel and guests have to walk outside to get to their rooms and to the restaurant. My only criticism was that this walkway was very dimly lit and with the privacy hedging to the ground floor rooms I didn't feel 100% safe as a female walking along here, at night, on my own. This area is easily accessed by non residents.
The restaurant food was excellent but service was a little slow given there was only 3 other tables occupied.
I had booked a junior suite which I assumed would have great views of the lake and mountains, I discovered all the junior suites looked to the back of the hotel onto the pool and gym. I was disappointed by this but was given the option to change to a standard double room with mountain views but my suite was very nice so I stuck with that.
Had requested feather pillows which had not been done but was easily sorted via housekeeping.
All in a great location, lots to do in the area, staff very helpful at advising and arranging your activities. Would love to go back.

Room Tip: Junior suites don't have a view of Lake Taupo which I expected them to have. They look onto the...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ScotlandMagpie
hiltonlaketaupo, Manager at Hilton Lake Taupo, responded to this review, 10 October 2011
Dear ScotlandMagpie,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience on TripAdvisor. I am pleased to read that you experienced a great stay with us and you found the "staff very helpful".

I do appreciate your feedback regarding our outdoor pathway and security in this area. Please rest assured that Taupo is generally a safe “regional town” of New Zealand and that we do conduct regular security walks around the property.

I shared your feedback regarding the efficiency of service in Bistro Lago restaurant with the restaurant manager.

Thank you again for sharing this post, I look forward to welcoming you back to Hilton Lake Taupo again shortly.

Waihi
Reviewed 4 October 2011

We stayed for two nights in a one bedroom junior suite. The room was immaculate and everything was incredibly clean, well presented and tastefully set out. The staff were excellent - nothing was a problem. Check-in was very efficient and car parking was a breeze. the pool area was fantastic especially the hotel spa. We loved our stay and appreciated the deal we received.

Room Tip: Our junior suite was spacious.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank rosscooper
Dear rosscooper ,

It was pleasing to read your review on the hotel; I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your two nights with us.

At Hilton Lake Taupo, we strive to offer the best of the regions’: accommodation, facilities and service and it is pleasing to note that we exceeded your expectations in this regard.

I do hope that we will be able to welcome you back to the hotel and our Great Lake Taupo region again in the near future.

New Plymouth, New Zealand
Reviewed 1 October 2011

Stayed here for 1 night on business. Lovely room very well furnished. Breakfast on the Bistro was excellent. Can recommend as a good place to stay.

• Stayed September 2011
hiltonlaketaupo, Manager at Hilton Lake Taupo, responded to this review, 3 October 2011
Dear IainR,

Thank you for taking the time to post feedback regarding your recent business stay at Hilton Lake Taupo.

I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your time with us and found our accommodation "nice and service good". We strive to offer the best of the region and it is pleasing to hear that we met your expectations.

I do hope that we can welcome you back to the hotel in the near future and encourage you to contact us about your regular business travel requirements.

Kingscliff, Australia
Reviewed 21 September 2011

My husband I recently stayed at the Hilton Lake Taupo whilst traveling through New Zealand. When booking online I indicated that we were celebrating an anniversary and was delighted to find that we have been upgraded to a one bedroom apartment on the top flood on arrival.

Our room was spacious and very well furnished, with spectacular views over Lake Taupo. We were lucky enough to catch a couple of great sunsets. It was also a bonus to find that the room has washing/drying facilities as we were on the road for a week and this came in very handy.

The pool was lovely, I liked the sleek modern design. Great to sit in the spa at the end of the day.

Thanks again for a lovely stay.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Leia_19
hiltonlaketaupo, Manager at Hilton Lake Taupo, responded to this review, 23 September 2011
Dear Leia_19 ,

Congratulations once again on your anniversary and thank you for choosing to celebrate at Hilton Lake Taupo.

It is a delight to read that we exceeded your expectations and were able to recognise your anniversary. We have enjoyed some stunning sunsets recently as we head from winter into spring, our view over Great Lake Taupo towards the mountains in the distance make this even more special.

We look forward to welcoming you back again in the future, possibly on another anniversary or special occaision.

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Reviewed 20 September 2011

We had a wonderful two-night stay at the Hilton Lake Taupo during our January trip to New Zealand. Our original plans had not included a stop in this great town, with the largest lake in New Zealand. We discovered there was a Hilton property there when staying at the Hilton in Auckland and decided to give it a try. It certainly did not disappoint. We had a lovely room on the first floor with a walk-out patio right across from the pool. The pool itself is something to behold as it appears to fall right off down the hill it sits on. It is heated and decent enough size to allow children and adults to share. The fitness room is on one side of it allowing for great views of the pool, hotel, and greenery around the property as you work out. We had a great meal at their restaurant. While the food and drinks were great, the service was wonderful. Our waiter was not only properly attentive but with a sense of humor to boot. We watched him also very tactifully handle a rude American group (I'm also American so was extra embarassed) who thought they were the be-all end-all. While not in the least bothersome, do be aware that the property includes some residential and/or vacation units that are owned/leased. We can see why, as the property is in a great location in a lovely lake town, we'd love to go back!

Room Tip: While we loved our room, we were on the pool side, the views from the other side, the road side, are...
  • Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
Dear corbyandjen,

It was a delight reading your review; it is always a pleasure to receive feedback that we have thoroughly exceeded guest expectations in all areas.

It is pleasing to read that you enjoyed our fitness and leisure facilities as well as your dining experience in Celebrity Chef, Simon Gault’s Bistro Lago restaurant.

I will share your feedback with our team, whom I am sure will be most pleased.

corbyandjen, I do hope we will be able to welcome you back to Hilton Lake Taupo in the near future, to experience more of our fantastic region of New Zealand.