“Family holiday”

Ranked #7 of 69 Hotels in Taupo
Wellington, New Zealand
“Family holiday”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2014

Disappointing start in that the room was not ready at check in time of 3pm. Room was finally ready after 3rd trip back to reception, each more than 10 min after the promised time. While the staff were apologetic and in the end provided a complementary breakfast for the following morning as compensation it was very disappointing for the amount we were paying for the stay. The 1 bedroom suite was excellent and the kids loved it. Breakfast was average with very mediocre service. I came away with the feeling that the hotel did not have sufficient staff. Overall lovely hotel but we did not consider it value foe money and the most disappointing stay I have had at a Hilton hotel

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
AKLLT-GM, Manager at Hilton Lake Taupo, responded to this review, 8 January 2014
Dear Peter S,

Thank you for your recent trip advisor post. I am pleased to hear that you and the children loved the one bedroom apartment. I was however sorry to hear that your room was not ready on arrival. We do try our best to have rooms ready by 3pm and I do apologise that this was not the case for you and your family.

I have also passed on your valuable feedback regarding the breakfast to our Food and Beverage Manager.

We hope to be able to welcome you back to the Hilton Lake Taupo in the future.

Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (402)
  • Korean first
Brisbane, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2014

Hilton Honours card member stayed 2 nights in expensive 3b/room apartment
Have stayed in Hilton in various countries and found this one disappointing. Small things not up to scratch - no stationary - not even one pen in apartment. No laundry powder provided even though full washer and dryer in apartment until requested. No towels or bathroom amenities in third b/room on first night of stay. Given that u are paying premium prices for accomodation (over $800 pn) one would expect free wifi. No fresh pool towels by pool (@approx 5.00pm in afternoon) had to request a staff member for some. Very disappointed with staff attitude @ restaurant when I popped in to look at menu for dinner. Waited for several minutes for anyone to even come over and assist me, handed menu by staff member who then wandered off. Not interested in asking any questions of me - when were we looking at coming to restaurant, how many in party etc. As a result 8 guests went elsewhere for dinner based on this initial interaction! Located on edge of town (generally too far for most to walk into) but no shuttle offered free or otherwise.
Would not choose this Hilton again, nor recommend. Property itself is new and therefore is of a high standard.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Dear T&SJan2014,

Thank you for taking the time to post on trip advisor. I am sorry to hear that on this occasion we did not meet all of your expectations. Your feedback is important to us as is your custom, and, your comments have since been discussed with both our Executive Housekeeper and our Food & Beverage Manager. Please be assured that this is not indicative of our usual service standards and I do apologise for any inconvenience caused during your stay with us.

Auckland Region, New Zealand
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2014 via mobile

We booked 3 rooms for 5 people for 3 nights and arrived @ 3:30pm. Only 2 rooms ready. The 3rd room was eventually ready @ 17:30! One room was an apartment. Decor lovely! Layout fantastic. Housekeeping appalling! Day 1 room serviced after 3pm Day 2 after 4pm. When we asked if our room could be serviced we were told later as they were busy!
In 2014 I do not expect to pay for wifi in the room! $15 a day would have meant another $45 for 3 rooms a day :) get real Hilton NZ!
Unfortunately Hilton has the best facilities in Taupo and location is great, but at @ $1000 per night for the 5 of us very bad value!
Restaurant for dinner the first night average. I had booked a table for 5 and we were very disappointed with the location at the door.

Stayed January 2014
1 Thank Rosebuds63
Dear Rosebuds63,

Thank you for your recent trip advisor post. I was pleased to hear that you loved the décor and layout of the 1 bedroom apartment. I am however sorry to hear that on this occasion we did not meet all of your expectations and that your 3rd room was not ready until 17.30. Your feedback has most certainly been passed onto our Executive Housekeeper who joins me in apologising for any inconvenience caused.
In regards to the internet I am hoping that you were advised on arrival that there is complimentary wi fi in the lobby, the business centre and the restaurant. I do apologise if this was not relayed to you.

If you would like to discuss anything further than please do not hesitate to contact me direct at ryan.mikkelson@hilton.com

I hope to be able to welcome you back to the Hilton Lake Taupo in the future.

Wellington, New Zealand
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2013

Had a bad time at the hilton taupo went to the restaurant expecting a great lunch (had been same restaurant year ago) tablecloth not iron pizza bread disappointing main nice waitress not pleasant. Booked in room lovely but dusty then went to go down in the lift but was not working rang down to tell them because my mother was recovering from an operation could not use the stairs they said they would keep me updated heard from no one ended up ringing down 3 times in 2 hours went to see them and they said they were very busy with checking people in and things they would let me know when it was fixed. By this time my mother was getting very upset being stuck in a room and wanting her dinner. In the end rang down again to see if the lift would be working tonight and they said it was fixed already no one had bothered to tell us by that time our trip had turned into a nightmare instead of a treat and rest. Packed up and went home.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank ginny j
Ryan M, Manager at Hilton Lake Taupo, responded to this review, 30 December 2013
Dear Jinny J,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Tripadvisor. I did try to contact you yesterday and have sent you an email to contact me at your convenience.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Hamilton, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 December 2013

Me and my wife stayed at this hotel and really enjoyed our stay at Hilton Taupo Hotel. The staff are excellent and are one of the best in NZ. I can vouch for the staff at Hilton Hotel as I am myself a Hospitality Professional with a vast experience in this Industry.

Keep doing the great work and I am sure this hotel will be the best in the country some day.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Dear Kapil Rajendra S,

Thank you for your taking the time to post on trip advisor and great to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and the customer service from the team.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Paraparaumu, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 December 2013

Great location, mineral pools within 100 metres. The fantastic view, looking south across Lake Taupo to the mountains framing the end of the lake. Sight seeing at its best. Best restaurant. Excellent sized standard rooms. Prices for rooms and restaurant very reasonable.

Room Tip: Room on the pol side limited views. Rooms on the south side best views (the lake and mountains)