“Great stay and Great hotel”
Review of Hilton Lake Taupo

Hilton Lake Taupo
Ranked #8 of 68 Hotels in Taupo
Reviewed 19 February 2014

My wife and I loved our stay here. We spent our last 2 nights of our 'official' honeymoon here. We got upgraded to a one bedroom apartment and it was fresh, spacious, new, classy and the views over the lake was awesome! One minor disappointment I found that they charge $5 for a DVD rental while cheap hotels supply this service for free. Great pool, etc. The restaurant is also has a great atmosphere and they with great food.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a room on the top floor (4th floor).. It just adds value to the view.
1  Thank Werner S
AKLLT-GM, Manager at Hilton Lake Taupo, responded to this reviewResponded 27 February 2014

Dear Werner S

Congratulations on your recent wedding and I am thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your ‘official’ Honeymoon with us here at the Hilton Lake Taupo. Our one bedroom apartments have been designed to make the most of the sensational views and I am happy to hear that you were able to enjoy these on this occasion.

Thank you for your post and for staying with us.

Reviewed 17 February 2014

We stayed one night at the Hilton this past weekend and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves.

For a tiny $10 extra we upgraded to the junior suite which was well worth it, great room, well set out, only fault was no paper in the morning and had to request a second luggage stand.

We dined at the restaurant for dinner which was superb, little bit slow with the drinks and pricy but the food was fantastic.

Breakfast on the other hand was very average, one of us had the buffet which was below par for the $35, I requested the menu as did not want a buffet and had to take one off the table next to me. I was then left for a good 15-20 min before I managed to flag a staff member down to order.

The pool is beautiful and warm, well kept. Again getting service was slow and food was very average.

Overall a nice hotel with great rooms and a good spot for dinner.

We will be back

Room Tip: Junior suite

Dear Donnafurst18

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback on TripAdvisor. I am pleased to hear that were able to enjoy one of our beautiful junior Suites and that the layout and decor was to your liking. It is fantastic that you found the dinner in Bistro Lago to be superb and the food to be fantastic. I have also passed on your valuable feedback regarding the breakfast to our Food and Beverage Manager who joins me in apologising for any inconvenience caused.

Thank you for staying with us and I hope that we will have the privilege of welcoming you back to our region in the near future.

Reviewed 17 February 2014

Always very clean and a great quiet place to stay with excellent facilities. The views are great even the back of the hotel over the spa and swimming pool area. The views at the front of the complex are stunning looking out over the lake.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Dear Jenny L

I really appreciate you taking the time to post your most favourable comments on TripAdvisor and am thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We are very privileged to be surrounded by such amazing natural beauty and I am glad that you were able to enjoy this during your stay.

Thank you again for your lovely comments and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 12 February 2014

I stayed at this Hilton for two nights because we are Hhonors gold and it seemed like the right thing to do. I was dissapointed in the overall experience. While the hotel has a decent location overlooking Lake Taupo and the rooms and beds are up to Hilton standards, I felt it lacked any sort of wow factor. The staff did not seem very welcoming upon arrival and I was quite disappointed in the room we were given on the ground floor on the back side if the hotel. There seems to be no perks for your Hhonors status level at this property except an average continental breakfast. The layout of the hotel felt more like a motel than a traditional Hilton property. It is also in need of some minor maintenance as we found security doors propped open due to technical faults and several hallway lights that were burnt out or flickering. The pool and workout facility are quite nice however. If I was back in the area again I would at least look into some other lodging options rather than going straight to the Hilton just because of its brand and our membership level.

• Stayed: February 2014
AKLLT-GM, Manager at Hilton Lake Taupo, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2014

Dear ruh134,

Thank you for taking the time to post on trip advisor. I am sorry to hear that on this occasion we did not meet all of your expectations as a valued Hilton Honours member and that the staff did not appear welcoming. Please realise that this is not indicative of our usual levels of service and that your views have most certainly been shared with our Front Office Manager who has discussed your valuable feedback with his team.

Thank you for your additional comments regarding the minor maintenance issues. If you would like to discuss anything further than please do not hesitate to contact me direct by emailing ryan.mikkelson@hilton.com.

Once again many thanks for your time.

Reviewed 11 February 2014

My husband and I spent one night at this Hilton property on a drive from Auckland to Wellington, and were very pleased with the professionalism of the staff and with quality of our room. The property is only a few years old, and our room was clean, modern, comfortable and spacious. The only aspect we found a bit inconvenient was the number of doors we had to go through to get into our room, (several) a bit difficult when you are getting in and out with bags. Sunset was beautiful from the property, but the best view is lakeside at one of the cafes.

Dear Kscott_Odessa,

Many thanks for taking the time to post your feedback on trip advisor. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your time with us and found the staff professional and the rooms clean, modern and spacious. In regards to the amount of doors, I do apologise for any inconvenience caused, these are fire regulation and by law we are required to have them. If you were to stay again than please ensure that you utilise our portage service.

We hope to be able to welcome you back to the Hilton Lake Taupo in the near future.

Reviewed 11 February 2014

This Hilton does not do the hilton chain justice. We had a standard room. There was very little storage space which meant we had to live out of our suitcase. The space in the bathroom was poor even by budget hotel standards - very little room around the sink & only a shower.

In the restaurant one did not get a feeling of a well managed operation - the breakfast buffet was running out of items on a regular basis. The coffee was terrible, weak & tasteless.

The hotel wanted to charge 1.5 percent to pay by credit card & the service we received on checking out could only be described as sullen.

Not a good experience..

Dear JR147,

Thank you for sharing your comments on trip advisor, I appreciate your feedback as it shows me where we are doing well and where we can improve.

I am sorry to hear that on this occasion we have not met all of your expectations. Having noted your observations regarding the restaurant, your views have most certainly been shared with the Food & Beverage Manager who joins me in apologising for any inconvenience caused.

In regards to the 1.5% credit card surcharge, as with many hotel chains this was introduced to assist with increasing bank fees. I am hoping that you were given the opportunity to pay by eftpos or cash which obviously does not have this additional fee.

Once again thank you for your valued feedback.

Reviewed 10 February 2014

A family of 7 so we "took over" a 3 bedroom suite. The "room" was beautifully decorated and had all the modern facilities including underfloor central heating, air conditioning, fully equiped kitchen, 2 bathrooms, balconies at each end...

We used the fitness centre - warm pool, spa, sauna and gym - and all were great.

The location is terrfic - right next to De Bretts Hot Pools and views out over Lake Taupo. You are only a few minutes from downtown Taupo and all the attractions but the peace and quiet is fabulous.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family

Dear Magea,

Many thanks for your recent trip advisor post. Your feedback is important to us and I am thrilled to hear that you had such a great time utilising all of our wonderful facilities. The 3 bedroom apartments are the perfect choice for a family especially with the full cooking facilities.

We hope to be able to welcome you back to the hotel for more “peace and quiet”.