“Just lovely”

Ranked #7 of 69 Hotels in Taupo
Kaiwaka, Northland
“Just lovely”
Reviewed 5 February 2010

We stayed the night on our way south, as we do this time every year. We've stayed at the same motel in Taupo for years, but after a particularly hot and sleepless night on our journey last year I wanted something with air conditioning. The Hilton was not a lot more than the motel we usually stayed at, for one of their "guest rooms". I found a good price through wotif.com.

I was dubious, however, when I realised the location as we approached - the old Hotel De Brett on the Napier Taupo Road (SH 5). We'd stayed there years ago, in an upstairs room facing the road, and were kept awake all night by the big trucks making their way to and from Napier. I needn't have worried on that score at all. Our room at the Hilton faced away from the road, and once the door was shut the road noise was very faint in the background. I should imagine that the rooms facing the road are well sound-proofed, too.

Like others have reported here, I was impressed with the service at reception. Others were checking in when we walked through the doors, and a staff member welcomed us and invited us to take a seat until someone could take care of us. We chose to park our car ourselves, and good instructions were given on how to get to the car park entrance and where to go once we were inside - even to the point of the girl walking out the door with us and pointing the way.

Loved the underground parking (I loathe a hot car bathing in sunshine), and it was very easy to take the lift up to our floor and find our room. We were on the first level, which is ground level at the "back" of the hotel, away from the road and facing north. Our room had a double sliding door out onto the patio, which made for plenty of fresh air coming into our room, and it was very pleasant to sit outside at the table provided.

One curiosity we found just outside our room was the lightning rod, and a counter on it - currently reads zero, and I must remember to take a look at it next time we're there!

The room was a delight and very comfortable. Plenty of room to move about, and keep your luggage from under your feet.

In the bathroom there was also a good amount of space to move about. The shower was great - set at a decent height, which seems to be a problem in most places I've stayed at, and fully adjustable up and down and sideways, so you can turn the water on without getting wet, and you can be under the downpour or not while you shower, as you please. Good water pressure, too. I really liked the Crabtree & Evelyn toiletries provided in the bathroom, they were a lovely touch. And I really liked not having to step over the side of a bath to get into the shower (something I don't even like at home).

One thing slightly disappointing was the tv setup. With having an HD setup at home, the poor reception on the free-to-air channels and the way the picture was stretched to fit the wide screen was very noticeable to me, but not a big deal. I can't understand why hotels and motels use what appears to be the (rather poor) broadcast signal for the free-to-air channels, when there is a much better quality to be had via the Sky or Freeview satellite systems. And why only one movie channel, but several sports ones?

Oh, and be warned that the tv gives out a very loud chime, regardless of the current volume setting, when you turn it on or off - so keep that in mind if you want to watch while your partner sleeps!

It was very nice to be able to eat on the premises instead of having to drive into town and find a restaurant. We walked to the bistro, housed in what used to be the Hotel De Brett (the rooms are in a new wing). We hadn't made a reservation, but from what we saw and heard it's a good idea to do so as they're pretty busy. Wonderful food. Not large portions, but perfectly adequate - we walked away full but not overstuffed, having shared a plate of breads to start and a main each, and one of us had dessert.

Next morning I had breakfast in the bistro as well. Not so busy then, bookings not necessary I'd say. I love banana and bacon together, but would never have thought of putting melon and bacon together - it was delicious!

At both meals the service was very good. Attentive and friendly staff, food arrives quickly.

I think I just found the place where we'll stay in years to come when our travels take us to Taupo. :-)

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank wendyh65

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (416)
  • Korean first
Auckland
Reviewed 2 February 2010

We bookedl through the Hilton January sale so we did get an exceptional deal at $168 for Bed and Breakfast. We went for the standard hotel room with a view at the back but on arrival the room was overwhelmingly warm, I didn't say anything as I just thought the air conditioning needing to get going. Shortly after we got a call from reception asking how the temperature was, I mentioned it was very warm at which point we were offered a new room and an upgrade for our inconvenience. The chap who took us to the room had gone back to reception and mentioned it and they had acted on it immediately which I thought was excellent.

We then moved to a junior suite, still at the back but a fantastic room. If you can afford a lake view it is stunning but otherwise the ones at the back are fine.

We had room service one night, a couple of excellent Pizzas, the following night we ate in the restaurant, it was booked out so I would definitely make a reservation. The food was excellent quality, service friendly without been over formal which creates just the right atmosphere. Try and get a window seat, the view is glorious, or it would be had the weather not let us down.

We have stayed at the Clarion and if you need an apartment this may be a better value option however I didn't see the Hilton apartments to be able to make a direct comparison. If you want a lovely hotel for a treat this is the place to be, its just a shame its so far from Auckland otherwise we would visit more often.

1 Thank AucklandShelly
nelson - new zealand
Reviewed 2 February 2010

First time with Hilton Hotels and I was impressed - particularly with the service. The front house reception staff came round from behind the desk to speak to me and explain this - like key use, parking etc. Everyone we encountered acknowledged us and were very polite. That was what surprised my wife and I. The sort of service you get a exclusive smaller boutique hotels - definitely would stay again

New Zealand
Reviewed 1 February 2010

Stayed in the 1 bed apartments unfortunatly for 1 night only
Wonderful hotel in a great location, origianlly i was bit disapointed with the location on the Napier rd, but this elevated position has an incredible view over the lake to the mountains beyond.
This is a special part of NZ and now has a wonderful hotel to match!!

• Stayed January 2010, travelled on business
Wellington New Zealand
Reviewed 30 January 2010

My partner and I were having a long weekend get away and after completing the Tongariro Alpine Crossing we were thrilled to be greeted by such welcoming, interested staff. On-top of that we then arrived in our beautiful, immaculate, spacious room which was definitely 5 star+ and had the most lovely feeling about it. We enjoyed being on the first level, over-looking the out-door pool, as our room opened onto a fairly private out-door area and being a perfect Taupo day we enjoyed sitting in the sunshine with a cold glass of wine.
We had a great time and, if in Taupo, is well worth considering Lake Taupo Hilton as a place to stay!1

blogfoguk
Reviewed 30 January 2010

A brand new superb hotel on the banks of beautiful Lake Taupo. Great on site bistro, superb attentive management ,lovely pool, gym sauna etc and extremely comfortable rooms. Stay here... you''ll be glad you did. Throughly recommended.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with friends
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 29 January 2010

The hotel looks great from the refurbishment and the rooms are at a high standard.

I would return here.