“A Place Apart from the Norm (and excellent value)”
Review of The Lake Motel

The Lake Motel
Ranked #26 of 68 Hotels in Taupo
Reviewed 18 November 2013

I stayed for just one night in November during a hiking holiday in New Zealand. This was, quite simply, the place I enjoyed staying most.

As indicated on its website The Lake is different in that its rooms are decorated smartly and in a fun way with retro furnishings reminiscent of the 60's and 70's. It's a great feel and out of the predictable mode for most hotels.

The Lake also benefits from being a small establishment (just 5 units/rooms) and this coupled with the warmth of its owner, Helen, makes the Lake feel personal. It's a place you can easily engage with.

The Lake is a little away from the town centre and this is an advantage because the location is quiet, away from main roads. It is about a 15 minute walk back into town around the lakeshore - or no time at all by car.

Free WiFi was an added bonus. Fresh milk in the fridge is also always nicer than that stuff in little plastic capsules!

For my stay the fee was $150 for a night. This was very good value when compared with the nightly fees I paid elsewhere in New Zealand on this particular journey.

When I booked I noted that The Lake was ranked, on TripAdvisor, as number 4 of places to stay in Taupo. It certainly deserves such a high ranking.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo

Reviewed 15 September 2013

It's a bit out of town so very cosy and peaceful for a night's sleep, but you can walk for 10 minutes and be in the centre of Taupo. Helen is a lovely host, the apartments are spotlessly clean and filled with cool 60s furniture. There's plunger coffee to drink and Helen makes sure you have some milk too. This is a great little spot to base yourselves when exploring the area.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jpi74
Reviewed 27 April 2013 via mobile

Helen was so welcoming, warm and friendly, she went out of her way for us. We had a hiccup and left early in the morning via ambulance, my husband was not well. Helen contacted me twice to check we where ok and asked me for tea and chat if I wanted to have a break from the hospital. I didn't know Helen but I felt like I did, thank you for your care and concern, we will be back!!!

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank snapi
Reviewed 20 April 2013

I stayed at The Lake with my son and his family for 2 nights in mid April. Our one bedroom apartment was very clean and well maintained. We had everything we needed at a very reasonable price. The owners were very friendly and accommodating. I would recommend it without hesitation!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 March 2013

Very quite & peaceful place, seems like a royal villa, little far from city to relax. Nice person and staff very helpful and understanding. Wanted to stay more but had to head back. Would definetly recommended for holidays!!!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 March 2013

My best friend and I had a "girlie" weekend away together in Taupo and we stayed at "The Lake". We just loved our room from first impression and as we explore further we could tell that everything was lovingly and thoughtful selected, put together and presented - right down to the miniature glass milk bottles in the fridge for your cuppa. The unit was immaculately clean. We were in Unit #1. It's only a short taxi ride to town for dinner in the evening, and the stroll to the lake front is easy and pleasant. The host is very personable, lovely and friendly. Most definitely recommend if you are looking for somewhere quiet, and with character.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 February 2013

My husband and I loved our two night stay at The Lake. The accommodation is just so retro-cool, spotlessly clean, quiet and good value. Also there is only about 5 apartments - I much prefer small establishments! A reasonably central location and just a short 5 min stroll down to the Lake Taupo beachfront (fantastic summer swimming). Everything you could want for a short stay. Jane was a lovely host. So pleased we decided to stay in Taupo rather than Tongariro. Lots more restaurants and nightlife and ofcourse this cute little place.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple