“Common Hostel”

Ranked #11 of 33 Speciality Lodging in Taupo
Osnabruck, Germany
“Common Hostel”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2014

It's a normal Hostel. It's more or less central but quiter than the others. Got a spa. Beds were alright. I didn't like that they closed the balcony as early as the kitchen. Has a lot of couches (but even this room is closed pretty early)

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
tikiboss, Manager at Tiki Lodge, responded to this review, 30 September 2014
Hi there - many thanks for the feedback - the balcony and kitchen are actually closed at the same time (as you have to go through the kitchen to access the balcony). We do have a 24hr TV room plus garden area available after hours.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Auckland Region, New Zealand
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2014

Me and my group of friends booked a 2 days accommodation at Tiki Lodge.
The first impression that we had it wasn't very nice. The receptionist was rude you could easy see that she wasn't happy to be there. This kind of behavior are not acceptable in a hospitality environment.
The place has good location and facilities but I will not recommend only because of the bad service provided.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank Barbara3258
tikiboss, Owner at Tiki Lodge, responded to this review, 3 May 2014
Many thanks for taking time to post feedback. Tiki Lodge is run by a husband and wife team so the receptionist you refer to would have been myself. I am sorry that you perceived the service was bad - I apologise if you genuinely felt like you were treated poorly. Trust me, if I wasn't happy to be here I wouldn't be here and I certainly wouldn't be bothering to respond to online reviews if I didn't care.
All online comments re: my customer service have been positive in the past until now so I presume that there was another specific issue you were not happy with. I strongly suspect that you were part of the group that caused issues while here as I was recently threatened with a bad online review from a member of that group. Funny, considering the guest was the one behaving poorly and I was the one threatened. Reception staff can often treated poorly by guests as well, however we tend to be the ones defending ourselves through no fault of our own.
Aberdeen
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for one night during a three week tour of New Zealand. This has to be one of the best hostel/backpackers accommodation that we've stayed in so far. The place looks pretty new and is very clean and modern. We stayed in a twin room with kitchenette and shared bathroom. The shared facilities were all clean and tidy. Laundry room was good and had an undercover car park. The wifi service was pretty sketchy and not very user friendly. The hostel cat is friendly. Overall this is a great place to stay, would definitely recommend.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
tikiboss, Owner at Tiki Lodge, responded to this review, 3 May 2014
Many thanks for taking the time to post feedback. The wifi is usually really good - it is not our system - but they recently upgraded software and servers etc so there were some teething problems with the changeovers/updates. These are sorted I believe.
mumbai
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2014

after the serenity of oputere, we were shocked by the hipster, hostel crowd here.
this is situated right off the main road and is just 100 metres from the lake and all the amenities. we got a nice room with attached bath. facilities are all that one expects in a hostel in NZ but no free wifi.
A good but not a great hostel

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
tikiboss, Owner at Tiki Lodge, responded to this review, 16 April 2014
Hi there - many thanks for the comments.
Sorry I must be getting old as I have no idea what "hipster, hostel crowd" refers to and why this would shock you.... must be some new younger generation phrase that I am not yet aware of. Our guests are generally the "non partying crowd" so we are quieter that most hostels in town.
To avoid confusion, the room had an attached bathroom (not an attached bath) - we do have a spa pool if you want a bath like soak however...(crikey - now everyone will be hunting for the bathtub we don't have).
Wifi is not free as it is not ours to give away (connection is not owned by Tiki Lodge). Once NZ catches up with the rest of the world we can only wish for free wifi ourselves. Would love to give it away if (a) I could afford it myself and (b) it was mine to give away. Enjoy the rest of your travels.
Milan, Italy
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2014

I stayed in this hostel for a couple of nights during a trip with friends. It's in a good position in the centre of Taupo, the rooms are comfortable and there is a big kitchen and a tv room. There is also a big hot tub in the back of the hostel and the price was good. But I didn't like the staff! Since the first moment we arrived they have been telling us to be carefull in what we were doing cause they had our credit card and could charge us in every moment! Maybe they had problems with clients in the past, but I think that this is not a good way to approach new customers!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Viaher-G
tikiboss, Owner at Tiki Lodge, responded to this review, 4 March 2014
Hi there - many thanks for posting feedback. As we only have 2 full time office staff (husband and wife team) I can assure you that we do not ever inform guests at check in that we can "charge your credit card at every moment". We do however mention that you do not need to pay a cash key deposit if we already have your credit card in our system - so maybe there was some misunderstanding.
On the rare occasion that we do have guests causing problems i.e with alcohol in rooms, rowdy/rough behaviour etc we will not hesitate to inform them that they should comply with the hostel rules or they may find themselves having to pay extra costs (which is fair). I highly doubt that this was the case with your group and we certainly wouldn't be mentioning anything at check in unless your group was causing concern at check in.
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2014

I stayed three nights at Tiki Lodge whilst exploring Taupo and taking on the awesome Tongariro Alpine Crossing (don't miss it). The hostel is perfectly functional, clean all the way through (bar the stale smelling hallways, which you become accustomed to after a day), decent sized dorm rooms with plug sockets, a big kitchen and decent sized communal area. The balcony is a nice place to sit as the sun goes down and I understand they have a hot tub, which evidently, I didn't check out. From that perspective, it is hard to fault so it will be perfectly fine for a lot of people.

To me however, it just seemed a little lifeless. There was no involvement or enthusiasm from the full time staff who sit downstairs at the reception desk so the atmosphere is completely dependent on the travelling staff members and the travellers themselves. It felt like a travel lodge or holiday inn with the kitchen being like the bar area where you could engage with others should you wish. Maybe it's a New Zealand hostel thing as I've found this a few times so far on the north island, but sadly I just can't put my finger on what it is exactly. It could certainly use a travellers touch.

As a final non-hostel related note for the budget traveller, Huka Falls are well worth a visit as is the dam beyond the falls, which opens the flood gates every couple of hours from 10am till 4pm. It's quite an impressive sight if you've never seen a dam release its gates before...the views of the valley itself are also worth the extra walking before returning for a dip in the thermal springs in the park on the way.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
tikiboss, Owner at Tiki Lodge, responded to this review, 4 March 2014
Hi there. Many thanks for taking the time to post feedback.
Regarding the hallway smells - this is the main reason why we don't allow alcohol in our hallways/carpeted areas/rooms - the smell is a result of guests abusing the "no alcohol" rule and alcohol being splashed into the carpet. It is difficult to clean and we cannot afford to be replacing carpets every few weeks so we just do the best we can in this instance.

If you noticed, the full time staff that sit downstairs are a husband and wife team. We have 3 children take care of, household chores to attend to (we live on site), hostel chores to help complete plus a business to run.

We do spend a considerable amount of time talking to guests about activities and have a lot of lengthy conversations with people about general stuff so I'm sorry if you feel that this isn't "enough involvement". I'm not sure what more you require from us. Guests are welcome to come down to talk with us but due to our commitments we are not able to go upstairs and "socialise".

We are very involved in our business - so much so, that we both work full time (5am-10.30pm) 7 days a week. We have had no holidays for the past 5+ years (not even one night out of town together as a family). We cannot afford to pay staff to cover nights/weekends/holidays so that we can get away together and we do not have our own home to go to after we finish work. We have sacrificed a lot to be "involved" in our business. This is a common theme in most "family run" accommodation businesses in NZ.
Retford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2014 via mobile

Signing a disclaimer when you check in and a big double page list of rules when you get to the room did cause a few concerns but actually this means that the hostel is clean, quiet after 10pm and has some great large communal spaces and is very close to town. Highly recommended

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
tikiboss, Owner at Tiki Lodge, responded to this review, 10 February 2014
Many thanks for taking the time to leave comments. Just to clarify - the disclaimer is a standard form at sign in - 3 lines explains that guests are responsible for their own belongings, as well as any damage they cause to our property or rooms. The "double page list of rules" referred to is actually a two page information sheet - i.e. displaying internet costs, laundry pricing, reception hours, alcohol rules, safety information, and general information about the hostel. It is most definitely not a list/page of rules however some relevant safety and security information is included.