“Breathtaking views”

Suncourt Hotel & Conference Centre
Ranked #23 of 68 Hotels in Taupo
Reviewed 25 February 2014

Loved it!

The staff were very friendly and helpful.
The room was clean, well laid out, with an AMAZING view from every angle of the room and cozy (room 21).

The spa in the room was just beautiful!

The restaurant had great food and service too.

Next time I will stay longer!

Room Tip: Ask for a 1st floor room in the front block... best views!
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
Andrew M, General Manager at Suncourt Hotel & Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 27 February 2014

Love your review - thanks so much.

Reviewed 25 February 2014

Great location close to the centre of town with wonderful views of the lake. It was a short walk to the cafes, restaurants and shops. Our room was on the ground floor (room 11) and had an unobstructed view across the main road of Lake Taupo. The hotel was set back off the main road so there was no traffic noise. A great place to stay.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Great feedback, please visit again soon.

Reviewed 21 February 2014

I guess I was unfortunate enough to have unit 14...this is the one right next to the road where buses and heavy trucks park overnight...and anyone who knows anything about diesels, knows you need to run them for about 15 minutes to warm up the engine....Damned annoying at 4 in the morning!
The units were clean enough, although one in our group caught a flea on her foot in her room. But the units are getting shabby...cracked bench tops, chipped baths, and cracks in the shower cubicle. The tarmac in the forecourt needs re-sealing, ad the place looks like it needs a bit of a restoration.
The food in general was okay, and I forgive the chefs for the deficiencies for us gluten free people, as it seemed there was a communication issue between those booking the venue, and those receiving the bookings....this meant that not all of our group could find rooms.
We had a couple of very nice wait staff, but one curt and aloof man as well. I recommend that diners avoid the complimentary mouse traps delivered compliments of the chef, as by the feedback from those that ate them, they could have been retrieved from actual mouse traps, they were not pleasant.
I certainly appreciated the air conditioning in the room, though it would have been nice to have the TV facing the bed, instead of hidden away at the other end of the room, at right angles to the bed, and not able to be moved.
There was a single sachet of dish wash liquid and a scrubbing brush, but no plug for the sink to be able to do the dishes.
I was in a room with a double and a single bed, and there were three dessert bowls, three side plates, but no dinner plates, so when a few of us got together, I couldn't fit cheese and crackers on the same plate, and nor was there anything resembling a sharp knife to cut the cheese.
I had a small verandah facing the lake, but no furniture outside to be able to sit in to enjoy the sunset...instead I had to drag out an armchair which was quite heavy. When I did this I found a hole in the wall, about 2 cm round, that was not plastered or painted. In the bathroom next to the toilet some wholes in the wall had been plastered, but were not painted.
The gardens looked shabby and in need of a replant.
There were no outside rubbish bins in the entire complex...when we arrived we had takeaway coffee cups to dispose of, and had to hand them over at reception for their rubbish bin as there was no where outside to dispose of....to be fair, the following day we did find a wall mounted recycling station beg=hind the main complex, but it was not well signposted.

Overall, in a tourist mecca, at a facility that obviously has a very active conference centre, I thought the place could do with some re-investment

Room Tip: the better rooms appear to be upstairs, and if you want a view, choose a front unit
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Andrew M, General Manager at Suncourt Hotel & Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 23 February 2014

I appreciate your feedback, as the Hotel Manager it is always disappointing when reading that we haven't met expectations. I do apologise for these short comings as this is the second time your organisation has conferenced with us and we do very much value your business. We continue to re-invest in the hotel and are currently working our way through bathroom refurbishments and bedding replacements, however this does involve considerable investment and will take time to complete every room. However this does not excuse the oversights with your room with regard to damage - this is not up to standard and is being address.

Reviewed 18 February 2014

Spacious and clean rooms with a nice outlook over the lake if you get the right room - we had room 10. Reasonably good value for money. My only complaint was that it was Valentine's Day and there was a lot of love in the air in the room next to ours - soundproofing between rooms could have been a bit better!.

Room Tip: Get the rooms at the front facing the lake..and upstairs if you can.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you for seeing the funny side of Valentines Day. I appreciate your feedback.

Reviewed 13 February 2014

We booked at this hotel at short notice and what a pleasant surprise. The room was very comfortable and clean although we were a bit concerned at being placed close to the childrens playground. However it turned out not to be a problem. The staff were super friendly. The hotel is close to town so easy to walk to all the restaurants, also not far from the swimming beach of Lake Taupo.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

I love the location as well; even as a local. We are lucky that we are very central. Thank you for taking the time to comment.

Reviewed 7 February 2014

Kids, partner and I loved this place. Very friendly staff, Clean rooms. The amenities were great. Great pool, the whole environment was welcoming.
Dinner first night by BBQ and second night in the restaurant which the kids loved. Great variety and tasty.
Will come back here.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family

Glad to see you had a great stay and enjoyed the property. Thank you for chosing Suncourt Hotel. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 28 January 2014

I came to suncourt after not been happy with a Place up the road, as the receptionist was so rude to me.

as soon as I walked in the door I got a bright bubbly smile, from the young lady at the counter.
she was also more than happy to show me my room. before I decided if I wanted to stay or not.
the room was great, and had the best view of the lake!

I was more than happy to stay here!

it is not often you get great customer service from a young teen, so it was good to see
keep up the good work!

restaurant staff also lovely!

Room Tip: lovely staff best place to stay
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
Andrew M, General Manager at Suncourt Hotel & Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 30 January 2014

Wonderful feedback on our receptionist, this type of greeting and service is what we endeavour to provide to all our guests. I also have to agree that we are very lucky to have such amazing views of the lake and mountains.