“Flexible eating”

Plateau
Ranked #9 of 146 Restaurants in Taupo
Price range: US$15 - US$26
Cuisines: Contemporary, Gastropub, New Zealand
Good for: Local cuisine, Groups, Bar Scene, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Located one block from the lake, Plateau Restaurant & Bar in Lake Taupo is an award-winning New Zealand meeting place that serves the finest craft beers and kiwi inspired food. Since 2003, it has been nationally recognized by Hanz for its excellence in lamb and beef and celebrated by locals and tourists alike as showcasing the best of New Zealand wining and dining.
Reviewed 12 May 2014

Tapas, share plates and gourmet burgers seem to be all the rage as it does allow for flexibility, particularly in small groups. Plateau does it better than many. Corn and chimchurri beef soft tacos, cumin laced meatball in tomato sauce and a fresch as fish fillet burger with the best salad I've had in a while (roasted salad seeds with bitter greens and olive oil dressing). Good selection of local wines by the glass and tray of Montieth's tasters started of the evening.

1  Thank thebiga57

Reviewed 11 May 2014

Friendly staff and good food in a warm cosy restaurant. Not a top Restaurant but very good and fairly priced for what it is. I would return for another meal.

Reviewed 29 April 2014

the plateau restaurant and bar is not right in the hub of Taupo but slightly up one of the side streets. So you can still walk to there from the main shopping areas but it's nice and quiet as no foot traffic going by as you sit there in the warmth of the gas fire while you watch the snow on the mountains. My daughter and I were there for a nice quiet lunch on a Tuesday. The lunch menu is small but nice. We shared a garlic bread while we waited for the monteiths fish and chips meals we both ordered. Our waitress was lovely and very helpful and friendly. The 2 meals and garlic bread came to under $50. A bit more expensive than I would normally like to pay for a lunch but it is a restaurant not a cafe and with the atmosphere and view who would complain...not me

1  Thank Jenny M
Reviewed 29 April 2014

My husband and I were very impressed with Plateau Cafe.
I phoned to make a booking left a message & the lovely Maître d promptly returned my call.
We were greeted by him with warm friendly typical kiwi hospitality. He made us feel very special.
The menu isn't large but wow what we eat was superb..! Great Chefs Great Staff Lovely ambience.
Well and truly up to international standards
Good job we will be back next time visiting Taupo

1  Thank Kiwiskygirl-1
Reviewed 25 April 2014 via mobile

The restaurant itself was nice with a lovely area to sit and enjoy drinks by the fire. The service was friendly and good, however the food itself was a big miss for our family. Even my 8 and 11 year old were disappointed in their meal. It was lacking flavor and interest. It wasn't bad food, it just didn't meet our expectations based on previous reviews. I did appreciate that they were honest with my daughter when she inquired about the children's pizza. They said it was a frozen pizza and couldn't be adjusted to her request of no onions. Go for drinks and friendly atmosphere but don't expect a culinary experience.

1  Thank liltravelmama