“good taste for fishing trout.”

Waterside Restaurant & Bar
Ranked #25 of 148 Restaurants in Taupo
Price range: US$8 - US$20
Cuisines: New Zealand
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Serving, Lunch and Dinner you'll soon discover Waterside's reputation for great casual dining and fantastic meals to meet everybody's needs.Take in the stunning views of the lake and mountains while you enjoy being looked after by our friendly staff, try one of our creative cocktails or speciality coffees. Fantastic outdoor dining in summer, and a fireplace to keep you warm in the winter.Enjoy!!
Reviewed 22 April 2014

My family 'd 2 trout from Taupo lake and then taken to here for cooking. Nice service and good taste.

Reviewed 13 April 2014

We were asked by three different staff members if we were ready to order in a short space of time. The wait staff when they did bring out meal leant across the table to put the meal down. They need to be trained to come from the side. The meal is great and cooked to perfection well done chef. The only other problem we had was the meal did not add up which we pointed up. They had put the salmon down as $2 and needed to add it back in, the staff member had difficultly adding up the bill so I did it for them.

Reviewed 2 April 2014

On arrival to Taupo we were very hesitant to come down to Waterside because of the mixed messages on Trip Adviser. However, we are so happy that we came and we will definitely be back again to try out all the amazing food that they have to offer.DO NOT JUDGE A PLACE BEFORE TRYING. Everything was a 10/10 especially the enthusiastic waiter that we had that evening. He had no trouble explaining everything in detail to us and had such great customer service, when talking to us personally. What a way to make an impression on a table!!!. I would love to make a mention to the Maori waitress also as she was outstanding with a exceptionally rude table that were near us. Working in hospo myself I eat out regularly, and I always find myself judging and finding fault in everything, and your staff treated not only us but everyone around us with the same happy faces and made a great impression not only on myself but by the looks of it everyone else that were seated around us.

Obviously this Restaurant has great training procedures and we would be so happy to come down every night for a meal that is more than a 10/10

Thank you so much for a wonderful, unforgettable and positive night! We will be back and will be telling everyone to visit you when they are in Taupo.

Great Job Waterside and we will see you very shortly :)

Reviewed 2 April 2014

This review is going to be interesting to write as you will see, I hope!

We arrived in Taupo, stopped in a not too wonderful motel (a Trip Advisor 'fail' - why do so many people give 5 stars when they aren't deserved?) and we drove into town to find a restaurant. This place looked great in a splendid lakeside location. So we went in.

We ordered and watched someone else order the same fish n/chups after us then get served before us. Ten minutes later we were told they were out of our order so would we change to a more expensive meal. We did. The replacement was not good and we were charged the full price till we queried it. Service was not wonderful either.

So far so bad. Back at the motel, I actually took the plunge and mailed the Waterside website then went to bed. Got up to a reply from the owner which was human, informal, friendly and basically said it shouldn't have been like that, it was useful to have feedback to make changes where needed, come back and we'll put it right.

We debated whether to be that complaining couple but decided to do it. So next night we turned up to find only one member of staff from the previous night on duty who didn't serve us and so didn't recognise us. We ordered fish n'chups again and this time had it. It was magnificent, in stark contrast to the poor fish the night before. Some of the best we've ever had.

Went to pay and as he printed the bill I said, 'Maybe this is when we say who we are' and the waiter said, 'Ah. I know who you are and I've been told to look after you' which he duly did.

So lesson learned. Tell people what it's like and give them the chance. We couldn't recommend this place highly enough on the basis of the second night, the overall service and the response to our complaint. Go try it. It's worth it. Thank you Waterside.

2  Thank Mike G
Reviewed 28 March 2014

The night we visited we had attentive, no-nonsense service. A good view of the lake. A family flavour to the place. Amazing desserts.

1  Thank Beach30Canada