“Romance package”
Review of Hotel on Devonport

Hotel on Devonport
Ranked #3 of 57 Hotels in Tauranga
Reviewed 23 June 2014 via mobile

My wife and I stayed here for 1 night for our 1st anniversary.

We booked the room and then paid an additional $70 for the romance package. This included a bottle of bubbles, 2 chocolates, a small teddy bear, cooked breakfast and a late check out (12pm).

When we arrived we were greeted by friendly staff. We got up to our room and they had put (fake) rose petals on the floor and bed. A little while later we were delivered our bottle of bubbles and our complementary glass of wine and chips.

The room was to a high standard and very clean.

The bed wasn't that comfortable and the 1 pillow we had each was worse.

The cooked breakfast was very nice.

My biggest complaint was not having any milk in the fridge for a morning coffee. Oh, and the cleaners trying to get into our room half an hour before check out while I was getting dressed after getting out of the shower.

You also have to pay an extra $10 for parking which I thought was a bit on the nose.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
hotelondevonport, General Manager at Hotel on Devonport, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2014

Thank you for your recent review of Hotel on Devonport.

We were delighted to hear you were happy with the room and our service. Thank you also for your feedback with regards to the bed, we are delighted to advise we are currently in the process of upgrading the beds in all of our rooms.

Reviewed 8 June 2014

Quality accommodation in Tauranga, service excellent, secure parking. Room was excellent, clean and met our needs - staff were friendly and very accommodating. Location was handy to many restaurants and view was great.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
hotelondevonport, General Manager at Hotel on Devonport, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2014

Thank you so much for your review of Hotel on Devonport, we were delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay and hope to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 14 May 2014

I booked a room for 4 at this hotel, expecting a lovely view as depicted on their website. Alas my room was at the back overlooking cars and the opposite side of the bay, nowhere near any water!!. I had to make up my children's sleeper couch and scratch around for bedding. I was never told it would be a sleeper couch and expected proper beds, my daughter is eleven and is very tall. Sharing a sleeper couch with her brother was not ok. They were unable to deliver breakfast before 8 am as the chef wasn't there and had scratched out any time prior on the breakfast cards. Then woke us up at 7 am to tell us breakfast would be late!!!
It was like Fawlty Towers as one lady checked us in, delivered the late breakfast and was fixing the gate. The so called complimentary drinks arrived hours after checking in, we had already gone out. it was not a great experience and we will not stay here again.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a room overlooking the bay.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
hotelondevonport, General Manager at Hotel on Devonport, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2014

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay at Hotel on Devonport.

We were very sorry to hear you were disappointed with your stay. Our suites do contain one queen bed and an additional double sofa bed with views of the city. This is shown on our website and booking engine however we appreciate your feedback and will certainly look into the possibilty of ways to better display this information.

We do offer a full room service breakfast each morning from 6:45am for all guests and we request menus are returned or placed outside your room door the evening before. We understand though that this is not always possible so we will always do our very best to accommodate any further requests as quickly and efficiently as possible.

Again we are so sorry we did not meet your expections for your visit. Thank you for your constructive comments, we value any feedback from our guests so we can improve both our facilities and services offered.

Reviewed 7 May 2014

I travelled New Zealand extensively and I treated myself to a stay at Hotel on Devonport after falling in love with Tauranga.

My welcome was charming and friendly. The free newspaper and welcome drink on arrival was delightful. The rooms were clean, comfortable and secure. Free and unlimited Wi-Fi is of course always an added bonus when travelling.
Although I didn't have a car I noted there was secure car parking which is good when the hotel is so central and parking is quite busy in the centre.

My favourite service offered by the hotel is the links with local restaurants. No need to take your wallet...they charge back to the hotel so you can pay on departure! Brilliant!

I always recommend Hotel on Devonport to all friends and family in NZ and when I next visit I know I'll be booking a room with no hesitation.

Thank you very much for your hospitality

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo

Thank you for taking the time to give us some feedback on your recent stay at Hotel on Devonport, we really appreciate it.

We are delighted you enjoyed your stay and hope we will have an opportunity in the future to welcome you back to New Zealand and the hotel.

Reviewed 4 May 2014

The hotel is ok. My downfall was the checkout procedures. I used my Visa to checkout NOT the Card I used to check-in. 8 days later upon purchasing a product at Noel Leemings my card was declined. I could not understand!! I rang and queried and found out the hotel had not released my funds. I rang the hotel and every excuse under the sun! For all guests; I suggest upon checkout you ensure they release the funds from your card before you taxi to the airport.

Will not stay here again!!! Terrible Terrible!!

Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank GlobeTrotterNZ2017
hotelondevonport, General Manager at Hotel on Devonport, responded to this reviewResponded 5 May 2014

Thank you for your review of Hotel on Devonport.

We are very sorry that you encountered problems on check out.

Please be assured our system is setup to automatically releases any pre-authorisation on check out of the hotel.

Each bank does have a different policy in regards to how long a pre-authorisation is held for before it is released back to the cardholder. We appreciate how important this release is so we ensure this is done on check out to avoid any additional delays.

Our staff are more than happy to provide the pre-authorisation release confirmation slip if required and pass this onto your bank if there are any disputes in regards to this.

Please feel free to contact us directly if you would like to discuss this further.

Reviewed 30 April 2014

This was my second visit to Hotel on Devonport on business, and I ponied up for an executive room expecting a restful retreat and a great night's sleep after a hectic day on the road.
Unfortunately the bed just didn't cut it, the room was hot and stuffy with too much street noise when the door was open to the deck and I really did not feel I got value for money.
Next time I will try somewhere else.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for your review of Hotel on Devonport.

We are disappointed to hear you did not enjoy your most recent stay at the hotel.

As we are an inner city property we do provide hush glazing for the comfort of our guests. In addition to this all rooms are equipped with an individual air-conditioning unit and a fresh air switch. This switch draws in air from the outside so our guests can enjoy the feeling of fresh air in their room while having the sliding doors closed. We are sincerely sorry this was not explained on check in to you.

We would love the opportunity to show you these room features in the future or if you would like to discuss this further please feel free to contact us.

Reviewed 24 April 2014

Stayed just one night with my parents and 9 month old daughter. Room etc was fine. After finally getting bub to bed at 10pm (she is not a good traveller), we were rudely awakened at midnight by a very loud alarm in the room - housekeeping had forgotten to re-set it. It took 2 hours to settle her back to bed. When we raised the issue of the alarm with staff the next day, they were quick to lay blame with housekeeping, instead of actually apologising for the incident. They could have recovered well by a sincere apology, or even better, waiving our parking charge or the meagre $3 mini bar charge. They thanked us for raising the issue with them - rather than acting at all apologetic about what ended up being a very rough night sleep for all of us.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for your review of Hotel on Devonport.

Please be assured we were extremely sorry that you were woken by an alarm clock during your stay. We understand the difficulty of getting small children to sleep in a new environment and apppreciate there is no excuse or compensation that would have rectified the difficulties you experienced. For this we are sincerely sorry.

We really do appreciate you bringing this problem to our attention and we have since implemented refresher training for our housekeeping team to ensure it does not happen again.

If you would like to discuss this any further please feel free to contact us.