“SUPERB BOUTIQUE HOTEL IN THE CITY”
Review of Hotel on Devonport

Hotel on Devonport
Ranked #3 of 57 Hotels in Tauranga
Reviewed 1 July 2014

SUPERB BOUTIQUE HOTEL IN THE CITY

My family and I stayed one night at this hotel with a city view.

This suite room, which looks more like a studio apartment to me, consists of 1 bedroom and a convertible double sofa bed in the living room, sleeps 4. Beds are very comfortable too and so is the double sofa bed in the living room. Comes equipped with a compact kitchenette with a mini bar, cutlery and crockery, bread toaster and even a microwave oven with coffee and tea making facilities, a fridge and safe and 2 bathrobes were provided for guests’ use. There is also an ironing board and iron and hair dryer as well. There are two sky tvs, one in the bedroom and the other in the living room with two sofas. Ensuite bathroom is big with a spa bath and a standing shower with a heated towel rail in the bathroom. There is also a small balcony.
A large welcome drink is provided upon arrival and sent to your room. Each room is entitled to 100MB free wifi per night and there are complimentary apples in the lobby as well as newspapers. There is also secure parking at the basement of the hotel. Staff are friendly, helpful and cheerful. Breakfast is offered as room service only as they do not have their own onsite restaurant. Delivery of meals can also be made to your room with orders from several nearby restaurants.
Location is great within walking distance to all the shops and restaurants.
My family and I thoroughly enjoyed our stay at this superb hotel.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
hotelondevonport, General Manager at Hotel on Devonport, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2014

Thank you so much for your extensive review of the hotel, we really do appreciate it. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 29 June 2014

My wife and I stayed here for 1 night (a rare weekend without kids) so wanted something nice. We weren't disappointed. Our room was comfortable, quiet and had a lovely view. Thoroughly recommend spending the extra to book one of the new Harbour View rooms.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you so much for taking the time to review your recent stay at Hotel on Devonport.

We are delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay and hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 23 June 2014 via mobile

My wife and I stayed here for 1 night for our 1st anniversary.

We booked the room and then paid an additional $70 for the romance package. This included a bottle of bubbles, 2 chocolates, a small teddy bear, cooked breakfast and a late check out (12pm).

When we arrived we were greeted by friendly staff. We got up to our room and they had put (fake) rose petals on the floor and bed. A little while later we were delivered our bottle of bubbles and our complementary glass of wine and chips.

The room was to a high standard and very clean.

The bed wasn't that comfortable and the 1 pillow we had each was worse.

The cooked breakfast was very nice.

My biggest complaint was not having any milk in the fridge for a morning coffee. Oh, and the cleaners trying to get into our room half an hour before check out while I was getting dressed after getting out of the shower.

You also have to pay an extra $10 for parking which I thought was a bit on the nose.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your recent review of Hotel on Devonport.

We were delighted to hear you were happy with the room and our service. Thank you also for your feedback with regards to the bed, we are delighted to advise we are currently in the process of upgrading the beds in all of our rooms.

Reviewed 8 June 2014

Quality accommodation in Tauranga, service excellent, secure parking. Room was excellent, clean and met our needs - staff were friendly and very accommodating. Location was handy to many restaurants and view was great.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
hotelondevonport, General Manager at Hotel on Devonport, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2014

Thank you so much for your review of Hotel on Devonport, we were delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay and hope to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 14 May 2014

I booked a room for 4 at this hotel, expecting a lovely view as depicted on their website. Alas my room was at the back overlooking cars and the opposite side of the bay, nowhere near any water!!. I had to make up my children's sleeper couch and scratch around for bedding. I was never told it would be a sleeper couch and expected proper beds, my daughter is eleven and is very tall. Sharing a sleeper couch with her brother was not ok. They were unable to deliver breakfast before 8 am as the chef wasn't there and had scratched out any time prior on the breakfast cards. Then woke us up at 7 am to tell us breakfast would be late!!!
It was like Fawlty Towers as one lady checked us in, delivered the late breakfast and was fixing the gate. The so called complimentary drinks arrived hours after checking in, we had already gone out. it was not a great experience and we will not stay here again.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a room overlooking the bay.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
hotelondevonport, General Manager at Hotel on Devonport, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2014

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay at Hotel on Devonport.

We were very sorry to hear you were disappointed with your stay. Our suites do contain one queen bed and an additional double sofa bed with views of the city. This is shown on our website and booking engine however we appreciate your feedback and will certainly look into the possibilty of ways to better display this information.

We do offer a full room service breakfast each morning from 6:45am for all guests and we request menus are returned or placed outside your room door the evening before. We understand though that this is not always possible so we will always do our very best to accommodate any further requests as quickly and efficiently as possible.

Again we are so sorry we did not meet your expections for your visit. Thank you for your constructive comments, we value any feedback from our guests so we can improve both our facilities and services offered.

Reviewed 7 May 2014

I travelled New Zealand extensively and I treated myself to a stay at Hotel on Devonport after falling in love with Tauranga.

My welcome was charming and friendly. The free newspaper and welcome drink on arrival was delightful. The rooms were clean, comfortable and secure. Free and unlimited Wi-Fi is of course always an added bonus when travelling.
Although I didn't have a car I noted there was secure car parking which is good when the hotel is so central and parking is quite busy in the centre.

My favourite service offered by the hotel is the links with local restaurants. No need to take your wallet...they charge back to the hotel so you can pay on departure! Brilliant!

I always recommend Hotel on Devonport to all friends and family in NZ and when I next visit I know I'll be booking a room with no hesitation.

Thank you very much for your hospitality

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo

Thank you for taking the time to give us some feedback on your recent stay at Hotel on Devonport, we really appreciate it.

We are delighted you enjoyed your stay and hope we will have an opportunity in the future to welcome you back to New Zealand and the hotel.

Reviewed 4 May 2014

The hotel is ok. My downfall was the checkout procedures. I used my Visa to checkout NOT the Card I used to check-in. 8 days later upon purchasing a product at Noel Leemings my card was declined. I could not understand!! I rang and queried and found out the hotel had not released my funds. I rang the hotel and every excuse under the sun! For all guests; I suggest upon checkout you ensure they release the funds from your card before you taxi to the airport.

Will not stay here again!!! Terrible Terrible!!

Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank GlobeTrotterNZ2017
hotelondevonport, General Manager at Hotel on Devonport, responded to this reviewResponded 5 May 2014

Thank you for your review of Hotel on Devonport.

We are very sorry that you encountered problems on check out.

Please be assured our system is setup to automatically releases any pre-authorisation on check out of the hotel.

Each bank does have a different policy in regards to how long a pre-authorisation is held for before it is released back to the cardholder. We appreciate how important this release is so we ensure this is done on check out to avoid any additional delays.

Our staff are more than happy to provide the pre-authorisation release confirmation slip if required and pass this onto your bank if there are any disputes in regards to this.

Please feel free to contact us directly if you would like to discuss this further.