“Its the little extras that make the difference between good and great!”
Review of Hotel on Devonport

Hotel on Devonport
Ranked #3 of 57 Hotels in Tauranga
Reviewed 7 October 2010

We stayed over a weekend in what I was expecting to be good mid week business style accomodation, but dubious about how it would work for a family, 2 adults and two young kids. Our suite had two queen sized beds, and was larger than the average hotel room and this was adequate for our purposes, but the nice little extra touches, impressed the kids and certainly impressed my wife! A complimentary drink bought to our room after check in, not just one, but a wine for she that must be obeyed, a juice each for the kids, and a cleansing ale for me, and, if that wasn't enough, a bag of crisps for each of the kids. Flannels to remove make up, comfortable beds, and very nice linen completed the package. Location, a cricket ball toss to the local restaurant strip, fantastic. Thanks!!!

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family

Reviewed 15 September 2010

we weren't supposed to overnight in Tauranga (we didn't even plan to go there) so didn't have a room booked and had no idea where to stay...arriving in the middle of the night, we just thought of staying at the first hotel we could find so we drove around the city center for a few minutes..everthing was closed and quiet..then we noticed a very well lit entrance on Devonport Road which turned out to be the hotel...we were so tired that we just went in, asked if they had a room available, got a key, parked our car and went directly to the room...it was great! very spacious, very clean, very good beds and the bathroom was spotless...right after I took a long shower, the staff sent up a couple of cold beers and light snacks (much appreciated) which were exactly what we needed for a good night's sleep...next day, we woke up and noticing the room in daylight, we freaked out on how much we were going to be paying since we forgot to ask for the rate and didn't pay attention on the registration form we signed on arrival...turns out the rate was pretty decent and we decided to spend another night at this small city...we never imagined Tauranga (and this hotel!) was going to be one of the highlights of our NZ trip..

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 September 2010

The receptionists were friendly and helpful and we each received a generous sized glass of wine on arrival (the red was delicious too). Rooms are large, as are the bathrooms and are decorated in a modern style. I stayed in a standard twin room and there was still plenty of room to move about.

We took the breakfast option which was delivered to our room. I really enjoyed my breakfast, especially the fruit salad and the toast was still warm upon delivery.

There is a security car park.

The location is great, a short walk to the riverside restaurants.

I would most definitely book this hotel again if I return to Tauranga.

Steer clear of the Crown & Badger pub (waterfront cafe area). My meal was awful.

If you like a challenge, try climbing Mt Maunganui.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 September 2010

From the moment I walked into the hotel, I felt very comfortable and welcome there. I stayed for 2 nights and 3 days.

My room was on the 5th floor and it had a balcony. My company booked the right hotel. Location wise, its right in the centre of town. ATM was across the road with lots of restaurants nearby. The room had plenty of amenties including microwave, internet connection, bathroom towel heater, large desk for laptops, comfy lounge chair, plenty of closet space, a pin coded safe, etc. The room was spacious, the TV had lots of channels. Even after a long day at work, I found I could relax easily in the comfy bed.

Breakfast was phenominal! The eggs were cooked just right, no burnt bits, I always enjoyed the mornings there with a complimentary newspaper. It was like Sunday mornings for me at home. I almost didnt want to go to work as I was so relaxed after a nice shower in the morning. Kudos to the owners for a well thought out design and also to the helpful receptionists who gave me directions to where I could go to get a .... etc

I would be back for a holiday instead of work :)

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 July 2010

I stay here when on business probably once or twice a month. The rooms are excellent very clean, the service is superb. The Hotel is right in the center of the city in fact in the main street Good parking and one of the best places to stay for business.
There is no Restaurant but you can walk to a dozen or so great places and charge back . Also in same building is the Tauranga Club which is very nice .
Make sure you get a room with a balcony as these are a bit larger.
I love the way they treat their guests and the free drink and nibbles on arrival is a nice touch .
I have taken my teenage daughter here during school holidays and she loves it .

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank raglantripper
Reviewed 28 June 2010

Stayed for two nights in mid-June. Staff very friendly. Great location. Free parking in building. Room clean and tidy. Good sized bed (bit soft for my liking, but that's a personal thing). Good sized bathroom. Balcony with city views, side views from the balcony to water. Would recommend local restaurants Cafe Mediterraneo for breakfast and Volare for dinner. Overall very happy. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 May 2010

The basics: good customer service and a clean, quiet and well decorated room with very comfortable beds. The long story: We arrived in Tauranga at the end of a long and exhausting day of driving with no reservations and the sudden discovery there was a jazz fest in town starting the next evening! When we arrived at reception and explained we needed a room for one night and desperately wanted two double beds (one for me and one for my friend) so we could both have a good night's sleep the reception staff did everything they could to help. Initially they showed no availability for a room with two doubles but the staff took the time to to shift a number of reservations around in their system to ensure folks checking in the next morning still had what they needed/wanted and to free up a room with two double beds for us - it was excellent customer service which continued throughout our stay. The room was very clean and stylish decorated and the beds very comfortable (in the top 3 of our entire 3 weeks in New Zealand). The room was very quiet despite the excellent, right in the centre of town, location of hotel. Since we stayed I have been on the web-site for the hotel and I would say it very accurately represents the hotel. I was impressed by my stay here and would recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with friends