“Will stay at again”

Ranked #18 of 57 Hotels in Tauranga
Palmerston North, Manawatu-Wanganui, New Zealand
“Will stay at again”
Reviewed 20 January 2013

I purchased a two night stay at Quest in Tauranga, this included parking and breakfast. I was very impressed with the quality of accommodation. The apartment was larger than expected, spa bath, balcony and the bed was very comfortable. I was exhausted and when I entered the apartment I felt it welcome me to rest. It was very clean and spacious. I would have liked to have received the internet password on arrival but it only took a phone call to get in.
It was in the main shopping in Tauranga and only 2 minutes walk to the water. This was so refreshing. I found the staff polite and accommodating also. for the price I will definitely stay at this place again if I am in Tauranga.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
Quest T, Night Manager at Quest on Durham, responded to this review, 12 March 2013
Thanks so much for your positive feedback. We have addressed the internet access as suggested thanks for that.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Cairns, Australia
Reviewed 2 January 2013

Stayed here in December 2012. Well appointed room but was disappointed to see that all guest floors were on the bottom floor with no views. I can understand that this is an apartment complex with commercial tenants, however would have looked elsewhere if I knew you could not get a view for the cost of $150 NZ per night. Close to shops and strand.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
Our rooms are located on Ground Floor as you state but we do in fact have as many on the 1st floor as well. Many of our apartments on both floors have nice harbour views and some with good outlooks to a nearby park. Sorry none of those were available for your stay.
London
Reviewed 1 December 2012

It pains me to have to say it but big is not always better.

I booked this on the phone with Quest after asking for Quest in Mount Maunganui. The reservations person clearly told me it was the Quest Tauranga but being a Pommie tourist I didn't realise there was a difference and so we found ourselves on the wrong side of the bay.

The check in was easy enough. Parking was a white knuckle right down a precipitous slope into the bowels of the earth down to basement level 4. (Another thing I didn't realise is that most of the building is residents only so the tourists are relegated to the bottom.) The parking space was tight so I was reluctant to get the car out again while we were there.

The apartment itself was huge. We had a one bedroom apartment that would have comfortably slept six on a combination of a double bedroom and two sofa beds but the facilities themselves were a bit worn out. The bed slumped badly in the middle, the spa bath didn't work and don't get me started on the internet. Internet by cable? Well OK, if I have to but it didn't work. At all. No connectivity at all. The reception guy came straight up and offered me to try my laptop in another room and then to move us if it worked but by then we had unpacked and I was using the washing machine by then so we weren't keen to do this.
I asked about WiFi and was told that the one modem they had was already out on loan. Really? in 2012 they only have one modem?
I resorted to hanging off some free WiFi from the public library a massive 5Mb of it...

Luckily the weather was fab so we were out and about and ultimately it wasn't a massive deal but it wasn't what we had come to expect from our other stays with Quest while we were in New Zealand.

I know that Quest have only recently taken this property over but for goodness sake, a comfortable bed a bath that works and Wifi aren't much to ask, are they?

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank angels1five
Unfortunately we cannot do anything about the location of the car park. Note your comments though. What we can and have done is to sort out a few things we do control.

We are part way through replacment of the beds. We have installed WI-FI throughout all the rooms we manage and like many new installations have had a few glitches we hope these are over and we are up with the rest of the 21st century.
Reviewed 17 November 2012 via mobile

Sadly this was not a pleasant experience for me. The kids were Ok on the other side of the apartment, but unfortunately my room backed onto the car park which come 2am became a hang out for all the local teenagers and their cars, with a lot of noise.

Prior to this I had to contend with a party in a 'residents' apartment next door and on level above, which come 11.30 I'd had enough and called the resort manager. Aaron was attentive, and advised he'd see what he could do. Unfortunately the party kicked off again at 3am and went on to 5am with residents deciding to hang out on their balcony, topped off with a haka at 4am. Also, I have never slept anywhere where cigarette smoke somehow oozed through the seal of the window, so to be catching that at 4am was not pleasant.

Smashed bottles and noise in between all this from the car park resulted in the worst nights sleep I've had in a long time.

Everything else about the apartment was great - clean, spacious and great access to town although I have given this a poor location mark for its backing onto the car park. At 2am there were about 30 cars in there. At 8am there were 3.

My recommendation - do not sleep in rooms backing onto car park, especially at weekends, unless Quest fit them with double glazing - the kids slept great elsewhere in the apartment.

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank GolfNZ
Thanks for your comments. Since taking over the complex we have continued to have discussions with the local police who have paid much more attention to this location. We have to our knowledge had no further major disturbances form inside the complex. We will always take firm action of anyone disturbing other guests.
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 23 October 2012

Great location just a short walk from The Strand where most of the bars and restaurants are but far enough away to be quiet.

Really good sized studio apartment which would easily sleep 4 as the main bed area was separated by shutters. Good bathroom marred only by not-so-hot water in the morning, otherwise recommended.

Service was OK, functional but friendly.

Room Tip: Stayed on the ground floor but still very quiet, no road noise.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Thanks for the feedback. Unfortunately the whole building is supplied from one hot water boiler. At the time you stayed they had some technical issues and we apologise it affected your stay.
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 5 October 2012

Reception were very welcoming and knowledgeable about restaurants and the surroundings. Small spa bath in room but great spa bath & sauna facility for guests. Narrow hallways & uncomfortable bed make this a slightly overpriced hotel.

Room Tip: Pay a little extra & get a lot more.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Unfortunately we cannot do anything about the location or the cinstruction of the halways although we are a little supprised as our corridors are 2.0m wide. We note your comments though. What we can and have done is to sort out a few things we do control.

We are part way through replacment of the beds and bedding and have installed WI-FI throughout all the rooms we manage. Thanks for the feedback.