“Comfortable and close to town”
Review of Quest on Durham

Quest on Durham
Ranked #18 of 57 Hotels in Tauranga
Reviewed 8 March 2013

We stayed here after purchasing a package deal offline. We were pleasantly surprised, and enjoyed the facilities that the accomodation offered; being a short walk to town was a huge bonus for us! Personally I found the the carpark was "scary", not alot of space... but it was great to have off street parking.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Quest T, Night Manager at Quest on Durham, responded to this reviewResponded 12 March 2013

Thanks for the feedback. Our car park is quite large will appear scary. It is however exceptionally secure with card only access and an additional set of night gates to further secure it at night.

Reviewed 2 February 2013

Recently stayed at the Quest in Tauranga (mid week) - location was great & reception staff very pleasant efficient, tho we did report 2 lights not working on the 1st day but they weren't fixed by the time we left on the 3rd day. We couldn't watch TV 3 because for some reason there was a delay between speech & picture - this was reported as we left.

On arrival we walked into the room & thought - wow - this is very nice & was spotless.
Bed was a bit too soft but guess that's something that varies from room to room. We had a one bed, room but it had a sofa bed which was there if needed. Trouble is the sofa bed was right by the heavy drape & ranch slider so consequently when you wanted to go out on the deck - it was a bit of a mission - holding back the drape which was attached at the end at the top & then getting out past the sofa & stooping under the drape to get out. There was also a dining chair opposite the sofa (should have taken a photo sorry)

The 'one only' arm chair seems to be a common fault with a lot of Hotels - time the Interior Decorators or whom ever is in charge did something to rectify that one.

Came time to watch the TV - the TV was on the wall on the left of the room - beside it was a desk & beside that - the sofa... one only easy chair was opposite the TV in front of the fridge - I know there was nowhere to put another easy chair as a permanent fixture but the TV could not be watched from the sofa - it did swivel but not enough to see from anywhere else.. I had to get an outdoor chair from on the deck so that we could both watch TV in some sort of comfort - It was of course fun & games getting the chair thru the sliding door because of the drape & sofa!

The bath/shower was not very practical as you had to access with it with a step & then even higher to step up & into the bath - not good if one has a dodgy knee or any age related problem & getting out was worse because of having to step over & out & down the step & then to the floor, hanging on to a glass panel.

The Cafe Bar was great - food was a realistic price & excellent - has only been open about 2 weeks & staff a very friendly - would certainly go there again even if not staying in the Apartments.
We would go back but hopefully to another room with a different layout.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple

Thanks for the detailed feedback. Unfortunatly we do not control the TV feed which covers the whole building. We have again brought the sound picture disconnection to the attention of the Body Corporate and hope it will again be addressed. We have also had another look at out room layout ragarding the sofas, doors and TV. We will be trying some changes to see if they can be made to work better and note your other comments.

Reviewed 20 January 2013

I purchased a two night stay at Quest in Tauranga, this included parking and breakfast. I was very impressed with the quality of accommodation. The apartment was larger than expected, spa bath, balcony and the bed was very comfortable. I was exhausted and when I entered the apartment I felt it welcome me to rest. It was very clean and spacious. I would have liked to have received the internet password on arrival but it only took a phone call to get in.
It was in the main shopping in Tauranga and only 2 minutes walk to the water. This was so refreshing. I found the staff polite and accommodating also. for the price I will definitely stay at this place again if I am in Tauranga.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo

Thanks so much for your positive feedback. We have addressed the internet access as suggested thanks for that.

Reviewed 2 January 2013

Stayed here in December 2012. Well appointed room but was disappointed to see that all guest floors were on the bottom floor with no views. I can understand that this is an apartment complex with commercial tenants, however would have looked elsewhere if I knew you could not get a view for the cost of $150 NZ per night. Close to shops and strand.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo

Our rooms are located on Ground Floor as you state but we do in fact have as many on the 1st floor as well. Many of our apartments on both floors have nice harbour views and some with good outlooks to a nearby park. Sorry none of those were available for your stay.

Reviewed 1 December 2012

It pains me to have to say it but big is not always better.

I booked this on the phone with Quest after asking for Quest in Mount Maunganui. The reservations person clearly told me it was the Quest Tauranga but being a Pommie tourist I didn't realise there was a difference and so we found ourselves on the wrong side of the bay.

The check in was easy enough. Parking was a white knuckle right down a precipitous slope into the bowels of the earth down to basement level 4. (Another thing I didn't realise is that most of the building is residents only so the tourists are relegated to the bottom.) The parking space was tight so I was reluctant to get the car out again while we were there.

The apartment itself was huge. We had a one bedroom apartment that would have comfortably slept six on a combination of a double bedroom and two sofa beds but the facilities themselves were a bit worn out. The bed slumped badly in the middle, the spa bath didn't work and don't get me started on the internet. Internet by cable? Well OK, if I have to but it didn't work. At all. No connectivity at all. The reception guy came straight up and offered me to try my laptop in another room and then to move us if it worked but by then we had unpacked and I was using the washing machine by then so we weren't keen to do this.
I asked about WiFi and was told that the one modem they had was already out on loan. Really? in 2012 they only have one modem?
I resorted to hanging off some free WiFi from the public library a massive 5Mb of it...

Luckily the weather was fab so we were out and about and ultimately it wasn't a massive deal but it wasn't what we had come to expect from our other stays with Quest while we were in New Zealand.

I know that Quest have only recently taken this property over but for goodness sake, a comfortable bed a bath that works and Wifi aren't much to ask, are they?

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank angels1five

Unfortunately we cannot do anything about the location of the car park. Note your comments though. What we can and have done is to sort out a few things we do control.

We are part way through replacment of the beds. We have installed WI-FI throughout all the rooms we manage and like many new installations have had a few glitches we hope these are over and we are up with the rest of the 21st century.

Reviewed 17 November 2012 via mobile

Sadly this was not a pleasant experience for me. The kids were Ok on the other side of the apartment, but unfortunately my room backed onto the car park which come 2am became a hang out for all the local teenagers and their cars, with a lot of noise.

Prior to this I had to contend with a party in a 'residents' apartment next door and on level above, which come 11.30 I'd had enough and called the resort manager. Aaron was attentive, and advised he'd see what he could do. Unfortunately the party kicked off again at 3am and went on to 5am with residents deciding to hang out on their balcony, topped off with a haka at 4am. Also, I have never slept anywhere where cigarette smoke somehow oozed through the seal of the window, so to be catching that at 4am was not pleasant.

Smashed bottles and noise in between all this from the car park resulted in the worst nights sleep I've had in a long time.

Everything else about the apartment was great - clean, spacious and great access to town although I have given this a poor location mark for its backing onto the car park. At 2am there were about 30 cars in there. At 8am there were 3.

My recommendation - do not sleep in rooms backing onto car park, especially at weekends, unless Quest fit them with double glazing - the kids slept great elsewhere in the apartment.

• Stayed: November 2012
1  Thank Alistair T

Thanks for your comments. Since taking over the complex we have continued to have discussions with the local police who have paid much more attention to this location. We have to our knowledge had no further major disturbances form inside the complex. We will always take firm action of anyone disturbing other guests.

Reviewed 23 October 2012

Great location just a short walk from The Strand where most of the bars and restaurants are but far enough away to be quiet.

Really good sized studio apartment which would easily sleep 4 as the main bed area was separated by shutters. Good bathroom marred only by not-so-hot water in the morning, otherwise recommended.

Service was OK, functional but friendly.

Room Tip: Stayed on the ground floor but still very quiet, no road noise.