“Good location - ok menu”
Review of Oceanside Cafe

Oceanside Cafe
Ranked #197 of 422 Restaurants in Tauranga
Reviewed 23 September 2013

Was early evening after big drive to get to the Mount. Unfortunately place smelt of cooking oil from deep fried chips - shame when sushi is so healthly. Had the seafood chowder which was filled with lots of seafood & came with garlic bread - excellent price but way, way too hot. Husband had teriyaki salmon & daughter had sushi - good and quick but not alot to rave about unfortunately. Think they should use extract fans or something for the oil smell.

Reviewed 14 September 2013

The udon i ordered is really nice, but the large mocha is really poor, I can only taste light milk, I told the lady who served me, and I've been told that I have to tell them if I want more than 1 coffee shot. In my understanding, when we pay for a large coffee, we are not only pay for extra milk, we pay for a extra shot as well, and I never been to any coffee shop that only provide 1 coffee shot in a large size coffee. The lady showed really unhappy face to me, and still charged me the full amount, it's ok to charge me the full amount, but please provide a better customer serves with an acceptable reason! Thanks!

Reviewed 11 August 2013

Having just finished our walk off the Mt we were pretty hungry!
Being a Sunday afternoon all the eating places were busy but Oceanside had a few empty tables outside. A little hesitant seeing as everywhere else was full but we ventured in and the lovely waitress showed us to a table with a great view of the beach.

I had the Tofu Vegetarian Salad, what a pleasant surprise! It was amazing! I saw the little old asian man cooking out the back, this guy is an artist! The tofu was crisp on the outside, soft and fluffy on the inside and the salad was fresh and firm and the sauce at the bottom wasn't too strong and over powering.

Most definitely try this place!!

Reviewed 1 May 2013

it was 7.45pm on a Tuesday night, almost everything else was closed and I chose this place because it looked more fun than the other alternative that wasn't a kebab house and the menu was predominantly Japanesey ...I was met by a super friendly dude.
I ordered the sashimi plate, 8 pieces and the teriyaki chicken salad to be chased down with a Sapporo.
The salmon sashimi was presented on a plate on top of a dry grated cabbage bed .. didn't worry about that because the salmon was fresh... I asked for my Sapporo and some soy sauce ... soy sauce was apologetically supplied but beer was still missing.

Then the salad arrived.

This delightful little dish looked like a school project where the pupil was asked to make a birds nest but instead of twigs and grass you had to use dry grated cabbage ( a theme here?) and 15 prices of grated carrot and instead of a bird you could only use teriyaki chicken...close enough.

I stared in disbelief and then I reached for my beer but instead I was grasping thin air as it still had not arrived to help me chase my dilemma down.

I gave them the opportunity to improve the dish with some form of dressing ..I was given a bowl of dark soy dressing....the chicken was not bad but the salad was stretching the definition of the word.

Price $36.50

BTW , my beer was late but cold and beautiful.

Reviewed 21 March 2013

We poped in for a coffee, but the food was so yummy looking in the cabinets. We could not help ourselves. All home made and extremely good portions. Highly recommended.