Ohtel
  • Fitness centre
  • Fitness centre
West Plaza Hotel(Wellington)
Good 3.5/5
All reviewsboutique hotelmid centuryoriental paradesmall hotelmini baroriental baycool hotelmodern designte papachain hotelsa stones throwhuge bathroomwellington waterfrontjunior suitereception areacourtney placenight life
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 2 June 2011

Lovely locations, funky rooms but getting a bit tired and the threads are starting to show.

The staff are less than friendly - not rude exactly but disinterested. Forget about the customer being right if you stay here.

But the killer is the cost - for a "self rated" 5 star hotel that would rate at best 3 stars it's hugely over priced. Add to that the fact that many of the "luxury items" are billed at mini bar prices (including bubble bath for heavens sake) means paying far more than it's worth.

Do yourself a favor - go somewhere else!

• Stayed: May 2011
5  Thank SBWOriginal
Ohtel, Owner at Ohtel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2011

Ohtel is self-rated at 4.5 stars and I think represents good value for money given Wi-fi is included in the tariff. I regret the property and the restaurants you visited during your stay in Wellington didn't meet your high standards.

You aren't the first guest to pass comment about the cost of optional luxury products for use in the baths, so I have decided to remove them from the rooms - now only available for purchase from reception. If you thought they were overpriced, why did you use them...?

Finally, I'm dissappointed by the "forget about the customer being right" comment given we agreed at short notice to reduce your 4 night booking to a single night without penalty.

As usual though, we do value feedback - and will continue to make changes and improvements to the business where we can.

Regards

Alan

Reviewed 23 May 2011

My husband and I just spent 3 nights at Ohtel for my 40th birthday and if was wonderful. $365 a night for Suite Room 9 which we highly recommend with lovely deep two person bath to soak in. Stunning views from the balcony. Both the owner Alan and Michelle were very friendly. Both being music enthusiasts we loved the music audio and podcast available...the bed was very comfy and even though right on Oriental Parade was very quiet ! Double glazed windows make a huge difference and the black out curtains. Complimentary Evolu bathroom products. We stay in Wellington often usually at The Bolton but in the future this will be the place for us ! We dined at both Martin Bosleys and Logan Browns both top class and had an absolute ball at Boogie Wonderland and Alice on Courtney Place. We will be back :-)

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 May 2011

Everything was excellent. I was won over at check-in, then I saw the mid-century furniture, then the music and video collection and finally the divine bed. Heidi could not have been more helpful.

Such a great experience after recent stays in large hotels.

• Stayed: May 2011
Reviewed 26 April 2011

Stayed for one night on a flying visit through Wellington. Wish we had stayed a bit longer as this place was uber-cool! We were hit by the weird NZ rules about purchasing alcohol in a bar over the Easter weekend (you can't, unless you buy whilst eating a meal and even then you have to finish your drinks within half an hour of eating!), so our plan to try a few bars in Wellington were scuppered.
Fortunately we were able to retire to the funky hotel room with an amazingly well-stocked mini bar(Bombay Sapphire, several types of local beers, some great wines in half-bottles, some decent whiskeys etc- we didn't drink ALL of this though!) and recline on the mid-century Danish leather armchairs for the evening. As well as the usual channels, the TV also has a great line up of itunes and movies for free, so we settled in for the evening watching some classics, listening to some tunes and watching the drizzle run down the window outside. A cosy little bolt-hole which didn't feel like a hotel- more like you were staying in a friend's apartment for the night. Recommended.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 April 2011

This is a great boutique hotel in a great location, without any of the noise. Friendly staff: our flight had been delayed so the Concierge had rung to explain how to get into the hotel on our arrival as they weren't there 24 hours; they were also happy to prepare us a late breakfast when we realised on weekdays the times aren't as late as weekends.
The rooms are funky with lots of designer touches, I got to see two as friends were staying at the same time. There is limited hanging space, and we were staying for 4 nights so were a little disappointed. The bathrooms were spacious, with lovely toiletries, only no where to hang towels. This is a problem for me as I like to re use and do my little bit to save the planet, this stay we had to rely on them being changed every day. And this is why I have marked the hotel down on cleanliness. We were staying in Wellington to attend a wedding, and therefore the day after we chose to leave at lunch time as we were going to a party hosted at the bride's parents' home. Our room wasn't cleaned or serviced, which was a surprise as we had chatted to the hotel staff on leaving so they knew we had gone. On our return at 9pm there was only a remote concierge service available so we tidied up ourselves and did our best to air the towels. When I told the hotel staff the next morning I was advised that the cleaner leaves at 2pm. I was amazed that such a nice (and not cheap) hotel did not have a system to ensure that all rooms were cleaned. I hope this doesn't put anyone off, as I'm sure this will have been addressed by now. We will certainly stay again on our next visit.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
Ohtel, Owner at Ohtel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2011

Thanks for taking te time to let us know about things you weren't happy with during your stay. It's important we get feedback from guests - keeps us focused on delivering all those little details that make your stay memorable for the right reasons.

Disappointed to hear your room wasn't serviced on one of the days - Heidi, Michelle or I are happy to service rooms of anyone leaving the hotel after our regular cleaning times - I apologise, this should have been taken care of.

We have extra hanging racks available on request.

Glad you enjoyed the stay otherwise and look forward to having you back sometime soon.

Alan