“Cute hotel with lots of kiwiana”
Review of Ohtel

Ohtel
Ranked #13 of 46 Hotels in Wellington
Reviewed 24 August 2013

We stayed one night in this cute hotel and while it was not cheap the experience was a good one. We booked a studio room and on check-in were offered a $39 upgrade to a larger room with a big bath and we took this - and it was a good idea. The room was cute with lots of kiwiana furnishings and the bath was a good size for two. The internet was good and there was a good sized desk to work at. The minibar was well stocked and the linen and amenitites of good quality. The lift was quite tiny - but if there was only two of you it was OK. The location was nice and convenient for us. Overall an enjoyable stay.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Nice20a
Alan_from_Ohtel, Owner at Ohtel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2013

Good idea to take the upgrade which is always an option at check-in if we have spare rooms.

Our minibar offering just got even more interesting with 6 reciepe cards for diy cocktails to make from our minibar contents - a great way to start a big night or close out a rough day...

Alan

There are newer reviews for Ohtel

Reviewed 19 August 2013

I've wanted to stay at Ohtel for some time and when the opportunity came to stay on a recent leisure trip with friends we booked for two nights.

I'm a big fan of mid-century furniture and there are some lovely pieces at Ohtel. The rooms are spacious, relaxing and well laid out. Staff are friendly and the location is great for getting to/from the airport, walking to the Cuba St area and enjoying the waterfront.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends

Mid-century fans love our furniture and ceramics, glad you had a great stay !

Thanks, Alan

Reviewed 18 August 2013

I stayed here for two nights in September, 2012 in a Studio room. I had taken the plane from Rotorua to Wellington and then taken the shuttle van from the airport to the hotel. The van dropped me off right outside the hotel but I still needed to take my luggage into the hotel on my own.

Arrival

There weren’t any large sliding automated doors to greet me but instead just a normal door. It was immediately obvious that the hotel was boutique in character with a uniquely designed and modestly-sized lobby area, which was characterful and homely. There was even a fireplace in the lobby, not a real one but with flames and likely using gas.

The reception check-in attendant was friendly, second perhaps only to the reception at the Silverfern Rotorua in the level of friendliness experienced from reception desks throughout my New Zealand sojourn. Things were explained and the unique features of the hotel pointed out in a friendly manner, including the ability for people outside to call my room directly.

The Suite

My room was located just behind the reception area and it’s the only room on the ground level, as I understand it. Although located near the reception area, it was quiet once I was inside, although I could still hear some sounds from the lobby and from the lift located near the room entrance but that mostly disappeared in the evening. The lobby is not staffed during the evenings and my key needed to be used to enter through a separate door. There was no concern with security for my room as even though it was on the ground floor, the other rooms were accessible by stairs and so would be the same as the ground-level suite in terms of security level.

I appreciated the unique character of the room, designed in a more old-fashioned style apparently using elements from furniture in New Zealand in the 1950s or 60s. The ceiling was 3m above the floor. The room still contained a good deal of modern conveniences and technology. The TV was a large and modern Philips unit with a very large channel selection. The room also featured complimentary Wi-Fi internet access, although I did find the working desk and chair to be perhaps slightly too old-fashioned to keep up with the ergonomic advancements that have since taken place, it was certainly not a Hermann Miller chair in terms of comfort value. I liked the alarm clock-radio, as it embodied perhaps the unique character of the room in a sense; it was modern and the speakers were also good but the outward design was in a retro-fashion, which made it fit into the room but still contain the needed technological elements underneath.

The bed also was comfortable and outfitted in a way that also suggested a style from a bygone era. The housekeeping kept the room tidy and back to the original condition for the second night’s stay.

The room unfortunately had no real view, being a ground-floor suite. Another issue arose with the aircon, as I wasn’t sure it was that effective in controlling the temperature and whether it was powerful enough given the size of the room and the high ceiling.

I’d agree that the bathroom seemed to lack slightly in terms of functionality. There was no door separating the bathroom from the bedroom but only a thick two-layered curtain. The shower was also only separated from the rest of the bathroom by a curtain. The bathroom didn’t have a bath but just the shower. It was good to see the bathroom tiles were heated, although only certain sections of the flooring were warm. The issue of the lack of space for placing items in the vanity area has been addressed, based on previous reviews.

Overall, the room did seem to grow on me, as it’s quite hard to immediately get a sense of the room upon entry, especially as I am more used to the traditional and conventional style of hotel room but there was a character there that took a while to appreciate.

I have a video of the room which can be found through the link in my profile section.

Location and Public Areas

The hotel is located directly opposite Waitangi Park, which provided some greenery in the immediate vicinity and it’s also next to the harbour. It’s not directly in the city centre but I walked towards Courtenay Place, which was only about a 5-minute walk away and then took the city public bus to get to the centre of the CBD and to visit the Parliament Buildings. A walk towards the CBD itself should only take about 15 minutes. I asked the reception desk about the nearest point to find supermarket provisions and it turned out to be just a very short walk from the hotel so that was extremely convenient.

It was in fact windy in Wellington, I was surprised by just how blustery the conditions were during my stay. It was also still very cold during September but I found that many eateries were within close walking distance, so that was welcome as I walked to Cuba Street and Mall and sampled some of the food there one evening, when it was windy and wet so it wouldn’t have been a good idea to walk far. I also tried the Malaysian restaurant ‘KK Malaysian Cafe’ located along Ghuznee Street, as mentioned in the Lonely Planet guide to Wellington and had a very good dish of beef rendang there.

The comprehensive Te Papa museum is also within walking distance and I had a good time exploring it during the stay. It was an extremely high-quality facility and although Wellington is a small city, I doubt that Australia could produce a facility of similar quality.

There weren’t really any public areas or facilities to speak of, apart from the lobby and the area for serving breakfast. I didn’t try the breakfast but as mentioned, appreciated the lobby space even when just passing through.

Staff Service

I had interaction with the staff during the check-in, the check-out and also while asking for the nearest supermarket’s location, which was cheerfully provided. The check-in experience was friendly. Check-out was also friendly but not quite to the same level as the check-in and the lady seemed to have an Australian accent.

Conclusion

The hotel was comfortable and I also appreciated its boutique character with a suite that was designed with a homely and warm character. It did capture the essence of Wellington, in that it was small but also had a very interesting edge to it. The location was also convenient while still providing a quiet place for the night.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank perryw

Hi Perry,

What a fabulous job you've done describing your stay from start to finish, covering every detail - a really useful account of the whole experience which I'm sure prospective guests will find useful.

Thanks so much for taking time to do this, I really appreciate it. Hope to see you again soon, and perhaps next visit we can get your views on an elevated front facing room.

Regards

Reviewed 17 August 2013

I always hunt for the boutique hotel with personality. The corporate hotel, despite often being comfortable and luxurious, leave me cold. When I searched Wellington hotels, only one seemed to fit the bill. Ohtel is a small and intimate hotel on the waterfront within an easy and pleasant 15 minute walk to the CBD. It doesn't offer much by way of service and the front desk is unmanned after 9 pm, but neither does it need to. Rooms are a perfect size, certainly not cramped but not so cavernous either that they feel less than cosy. Decor and furnishings are authentically mid century and slightly quirky, which I enjoyed. The sun streamed in the large sea front window making it beautifully naturally lit. The bathroom is also a decent size, particularly the shower but is only "private" via a heavy draped curtain. Some people might find that awkward. It's mentioned in the room description so I am guessing it has been raised in the past. A light breakfast with coffee, cereal and pastry is served in the small, friendly reception room at the entrance. i got the distinct feeling that the young woman who ran the front desk would be incredibly helpful and knowledgeable about all this city has to offer. This hotel takes the "my favorite hotel " in Wellington prize without a doubt.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank traceyj1

Hi Tracey,

Thanks for your thoughtful review of my place. Anyone looking for something a little different from the norm' generally finds happiness at Ohtel...

Reviewed 4 August 2013

My husband and I were well overdue a weekend away from the kids and work so treated ourselves to a stay at Ohtel. Right from walking into the warm, inviting and stylish lobby we felt at home and relaxed. The service, decor, rooms and overall experience was excellent. On Friday night we dined out at Ortega, a 2 min walk from Ohtel and enjoyed the fabulous atmosphere of this great sea food restuarant. We both highly recommend Ohtel and will be visiting Wellington and Ohtel regularly. Thanks Alan and the team for a great stay.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Alan_from_Ohtel, Owner at Ohtel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2013

Hi Tracie,

"Escaping children" is one of our weekend guests most popular pastimes...

I'm glad you were able to stay with us and had a great meal at Ortega - I always get great feedback from my customers that dine there.

Hope to see you again soon !

Reviewed 28 July 2013

I used to spread my custom around the various international hotel chains in Wellington getting the same dependable but bland, corporate experience. Last year I tried out Ohtel for something a bit more boutique and now stay there every time I visit Wellington.

Very cool, chic, eclectic and retro. Free wifi is great for doing business in their friendly lobby area, with a great coffee always at hand. Handy for Courtenay Place businesses but also a pleasant 15 minute stroll along the waterfront into Wellington's CBD.

Awesome rooms too, and a healthy breakfast option for the next morning. Overall perfect for an inspiring business stay that's a bit different to the norm.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
Alan_from_Ohtel, Owner at Ohtel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2013

Hi Jayne,

Great to hear we've won you over... Corporate guests really enjoy the no-hassle, free Wi-Fi while they work at one of our 1950's desks in their room. We have some tasty light meals available, and a great wine list if you need to continue working after hours.

If you are a regular visitor to the Capital, ask me for a preferential Corporate Rate that includes a continental buffet breakfast and real espresso coffee to get your day off to a great start.

Our lobby is a great place to meet colleagues as well !

Hope to see you again soon, and thanks for your positive feedback - we really appreciate it.

Reviewed 14 July 2013

Seriously, if you are heading to Wellington, stay in this hotel. It was everything a small hotel can be - beautifully decorated, spotlessly clean, spacious - and close to everything Wellington has to offer. The staff were fantastic - Heidi in particular was a great host, as was the owner, and the coffee in the foyer is superb. As another traveller has commented, it does embody the qualities of Wellington - a great little city. There was not anything about this hotel we could find fault with.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Alan_from_Ohtel, Owner at Ohtel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2013

Hey Cathy,

Oh come on, there must have been something small that bugged you.... ?? ; )

So pleased you enjoyed your stay - hope to see you again soon !