“Location, location, location”
Review of Ohtel

Ohtel
Ranked #17 of 47 Hotels in Wellington
Reviewed 29 March 2014

Ohtel is really very well situated in the city. Near Oriental Parade, and an easy 5 minute walk to the great museum and all the other attractions on the waterfront. Also a very easy access to hiking up Mount Victoria.

The hotel was designed by an architect and it is very nicely appointed. I had a small room that did not have a bathtub, but i did see an empty room that did have a tub and it was a much nicer room than mine.

There were a few puzzling things though, that to my mind spoke to an aesthetic of form over function. Yes, the very small shelf in the the bathroom made it look sleek. But there really is not anyplace to put all your things. The towel rack is pretty, but there are no hooks upon which to hang up towels. And the very low sink looks appealing, but you end up banging your head into the shelf if you try to wash your face.

Then there was the two remotes necessary to work the television. One to turn it on and control the volume, the other to change the channels. In this day of universal remotes, that seems somewhat lazy of the owners not to upgrade their entertainment control system. There was a similarily confusing remote to work the air conditioning that I was never really able to work properly. I'm sure had i asked the front desk they could have helped me out, i just never got around to asking.

These are nits of course. Its just that i was left with a feeling that the ease and convenience to the guests was not necessarily the upmost priority on the part of the proprietors.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Alan_from_Ohtel, Owner at Ohtel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 May 2014

Hi Punkeelarousse,

Glad you enjoyed the location of my place. The smaller bathrooms are a little light on shelf space, I have put up a few extra towel hooks though where I can.

I just upgraded the televisions not long before you stayed. The sets were supposed to be Wi-Fi enabled with all sorts of add-ons including the ability to have programmed remotes. I'm still working on getting these things operational - suffice to say JB HiFi "Commercial" and Philips New Zealand have been extremely unhelpful and if there were a TV purchase review website, they would have received a 1 out of 10 from me !

Anyway that's not your problem - and that's the frustrating thing as an operator, dealing with some of these suppliers - not existent customer service.

Travel safely, wherever you may go.

Reviewed 24 March 2014

The hotel is well located but a bit hard to spot (the entrance is very small). We had booked a Deluxe room (one of the cheaper options), but were pleasantly surprised upon entering. It was quite spacious and I liked the retro design. There were some very comfy chairs within the room as well as nice thick carpets. The minibar was well stocked.

I should state we were quite happy with our room overall, but I will point out a number of minor niggles:

- There are no towel rails. Very strange!

- The bathroom is open plan. Not that unusual nowadays, but this felt a bit too open (there is a curtain divider but I would have preferred something more substantial).

- The tap/sink were designed in such a way that we ended up spraying water onto our clothing on more than one occasion.

The common areas of the hotel were definitely not as nice as the room. The lift and corridor were very cramped. This is the opposite of what you usually would find, but as a guest you would rather have it this way around!

Wifi was provided free of charge, in contrast to many of the other places we stayed in around New Zealand. Service was quite friendly. I think we were served by the owner when we checked in. He seemed very keen to give us tips for our stay in Wellington and seemed a bit disheartened when we mentioned we already knew someone who was taking us around!

A fairly enjoyable stay on the whole. It is a bit expensive compared to other accommodation options in Wellington, but the rooms were of a high standard and I think the cost was justified, at least for the Deluxe room (I did notice that prices seemed to jump up considerably for some of the higher level rooms).

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 March 2014

Staying here for my recent three-day business trip, I thoroughly enjoyed Ohtel's friendly service, Scandinavian decor, harbourside location, continental breakfast, strong espresso, free wifi and visually unique charm. Some might criticise their small fitness room; then again, there's a beautiful harbour right across the street for you to run along!

Room Tip: Although front-facing rooms might be more susceptible to street noise, you'll enjoy the brighter...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank phofmann
Alan_from_Ohtel, Owner at Ohtel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 May 2014

Good to have you stay - and it was a toss-up whether to put in that small gym.. As you say, there is the waterfront as well as Freyberg Pool and Fitness Centre nearby.

Hope to see you back soon !

Reviewed 17 March 2014 via mobile

You could find better for half the price. $565 w no breakfast should be exceptional, but we experienced dirty windows, a sagging mattress, stained & dusty furniture, which made it look shabby - a poor attempt at a 60s retro style. The view is far from spectacular. The bathroom curtain divider offers scant privacy. It all looks & feels uncared for.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Sossige
Alan_from_Ohtel, Owner at Ohtel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 March 2014

Hi Clare,

Thanks for your feedback. Following the email you sent after your stay, we have decided to add more value to those bookings made at rack rate during special events by adding breakfast for two, a late midday check-out and complimentary upgrade if better rooms are available.

We had a staff meeting and as a team went around and polished all of the original furniture thoroughly - it definitely looks a lot better for it, and I have put in place a stricter regime for care of these original pieces.

We can't do much about the view I'm afraid - most guests think Wellington's Waitangi Park and Waterfront is pretty easy on the eye...

Reviewed 10 March 2014

If you like finding and staying in different kinds of hotels, this is one for you. The location on Oriental Parade was super convenient, the hotel itself was absolutely clean, and our room was HUGE! Not your average hotel room, so it was a lot of fun just being there. 60's decor. The owner and staff were helpful and pleasant. Parking is free from 6 pm to 9 am, so we planned our days accordingly and did our car travel in the middle of the day.

Room Tip: We stayed in a back room. No view, but the view is just outside the front door. Very quiet.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Alan_from_Ohtel, Owner at Ohtel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 March 2014

Hi Jane,

Thanks for your positive feedback. Our rooms come in a variety of sizes and aspects, so be sure to contact us directly by phone or email if you are seeking a particular feature; large/small, view/privacy, bath, deck or something quieter...

Regards

Reviewed 8 March 2014

Beautiful boutique hotel, very helpful receptionist/porter/cashier. The rooms are all unique with vintage 70s and 60s decor. Swanky and fun, and the bed was comfy. Decent view from the room, and great location with great restaurants and the Embassy theater within a two minute's walk. The only downside is the ginormous price. I bought one night's stay for my wife and I as a treat for her.. which went over very well. It is a compactly built building with no pool or restaurant to speak of.

Room Tip: All the rooms are great; the higher up, the better the view.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Hi Elyas,

Glad you enjoyed your time with us. Unfortunately, with our prime location and just 10 rooms, we are not the cheapest place in town. Hopefully the value-adds such as grown-up staff, king-sized beds and amenities like 50+ SKY channels and free Wi-Fi (amongst other treats) help support our rates.

Travel safely,

Reviewed 4 March 2014

Stayed here a couple of weeks ago with my husband as a weekend in wellington , had liked what we had seen on the internet via their website and decided to splash out and stay in the suite on the top level over looking Waitangi park and views of the whole city and sea front , we were happy to pay the price of this luxerery room and yes the price per night was up there!! But unfortunately things were not quire the same when we arrived, furniure was dusty inc all the tables and desk tops , curtains which are used to close of the bathroom from the living area had holes in them , no hooks for towels or robes , my Husband had to ask for a screwdriver to screw toliet flush back in as had come away and wouldn't flush , and the water from the shower leeked out onto the floor which meant things got very wet!! Hence no hooks to hang Towels and keep dry, the bed base was annoying as you are hitting it as you get out or into the bed , no good when you have had a few!! Over all beaut location and vewis but that's seems to be what you are paying for, I think that for the price of the suite , things should be 100% perfect!! Ohtel need to up their game big time as it's looking a little unkept and could improve in a lot of areas inc all of the above!! Simple changes would have made us probably come again , but ripped Curtains ? Really

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Samantha M
Alan_from_Ohtel, Owner at Ohtel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 March 2014

Hi Samantha,

I agree, things at my hotel should be 100% perfect and I'm not happy to hear about the problems you experienced.

It is always my preference to attend to any issues as soon as they become apparent, so that the balance of your stay runs smoothly. It can sometimes be difficult to check things a couple of weeks after the date of stay.

Thanks for letting me know about the things you weren't happy with. We rely on customer feedback at check-out so we can ensure your satisfaction.

Regards