“Yummy :)” 5 of 5 bubbles

Hippopotamus
Ranked #16 of 904 Restaurants in Wellington
Price range: US$21 - US$34
Cuisines: French, European, New Zealand
Good for: View, Bar Scene, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Groups, Romantic
Dining options: Brunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Hippopotamus Restaurant presents the finest French cuisine in Peacock-like opulence with stunning views of Wellington harbour. Award-winning Executive Chef Laurent Loudeac continues to design a palette of culinary delights, such as Tortellini de langouste et dorade, Carre d'agneau desosse a l'ail roti and Confit de cuisse de canard. Our cellar comprises of more than 500 of the best New Zealand and European wines selected by Maitre'D and Head Sommelier Maciej Zimny. Situated over the road from the harbour, the Museum Art Hotel is close to Wellington's exciting and vibrant activity centres. Hippopotamus Restaurant is the perfect choice to commence, or complete, a night out with friends.
Wellington, New Zealand
“Yummy :)”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014

Most delicious and most expensive meal I have ever had, yet totally worth it. Service was amazing, very attentive and knowledgable.

Visited July 2014

“Art on a plate”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014

We had an amazing celebration dining experience here. The service, timing and meals were all exceptional. The price is what we expected. We were certainly not disappointed on any aspect of the evening.

• Visited July 2014
Amsterdam
“Wonderful”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2014

Good views, great service (at least from the male waiters) and a wonderful bar with very good cocktails. Food is excellent. Recommended.

Visited June 2014
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“High tea fantastic”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014

This is a great girls weekend treat or to take your mother in law or grandma for a treat. It had the wow factor. From the amazing cake stand, wonderful treats, classical old traditional tea sets and furniture to the very professional staff.. It was devine .

Visited June 2014
Sydney, Australia
“Maybe I am getting a little fussy”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2014

This restaurant was highly recommended and on the night we visited was very full, so I would gather that I was either unlucky in the food I chose as some of my dining companions were happier than I was, or I am getting very fussy in my old age. It is winter, and cold outside so at first the restaurant seemed really warm and cosy on arrival. However, it just seemed to get warmer and warmer, and I would suggest a sleeveless dress with layers as you may have to peel down quite rapidly. The seating was very comfortable and in fact the waiter ushered me towards the most comfortable chair at the table, I would call it a Queen's chair. Some may find the service here a little OTT. It was very good service, but I would not want to be seated at a table of 10 or so people as the reciting of every meal of the diners would get a little tedious. The star of the show, imho, was the amuse bouche, they were works of art, and absolutely sublime. My entree of Sashimi, was good, but my main course of fish was not. The fish was overcooked, and that does not suit John Dory well. It also had some "foam" which gave it a smoky taste which I found inedible. I did not want to make a fuss because I was with several other diners who were really enjoying their meals and I was not paying the bill, so I politely played around with my food and said nothing, which is quite unusual for me. We shared dessert and they were all really good, it would be hard to recommend just one. On the basis that my chair was overly comfortable and I enjoyed two courses, and that others enjoyed their mains I have given it a very good, rather than an average. It is expensive, some of it may be justified, I may have not noticed the expense if the meal had been outstanding in every way.

• Visited June 2014