“Fame Fame”

Price range: US$17 - US$100
Cuisines: Contemporary
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Description: The Taste of Our Place - Kia Ora, Kai, Kaitiaki. At Logan Brown, you'll experience a welcoming, inspiring and genuine taste of our place, our people and the produce that makes you proud to be a New Zealander. We opened in December Friday the 13th in 1996 and decades later it is way different but still the same! We have evolved with dining trends, service styles, taken opportunities with new product and techie innovations and of course will continue to do so. What has never changed is the sharing with our guests our true passion for our craft, our community and our country. We want everyone to be as proud as we are about New Zealand’s environment, the land and seas bounty, and the amazing people who harvest or produce from it. Working closely with these passionate producers inspires and excites the team who are proud to share their stories, and we always welcome new seasons and new to the market produce from suppliers and give it a go.
Reviewed 14 February 2014 via mobile

St. Valentines, 2014. The price is more about dine in such a beautiful retro building, and the fame of the great LB. Food? A long way behind other top level restaurants in welly.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,371)

Reviewed 13 February 2014

I was given a fairly hefty looking wine book as I sat down and I commented that it looked quite comprehensive "Oh no, it just has really thick pages"
I decided I was feeling fruity and ordered the Valencia Fizz cocktail - it perfectly suited my mood.
I spent quite a while deciding what I wanted to eat. The waiter was more than happy to make suggestions and I finally settled with a 'taste' of Apple Smoked Salmon with Horseradish Creme, a main of Free Range Pork, Confit Jowl, Pea Gnocchi, Celeriac & Toffee Apple and for pudding, Lychee Brulee, Stem Ginger Cake, Apple Wafer & Elderflower
The Smoked salmon had perfect taste & texture.
The 'jowl' was an unusual cut but I'm a sucker for crackling. The other piece of pork was absolutely perfectly cooked. The pea gnocchi had quite an unusual texture and I'm not sure I would want to have it again.
Anyone who knows me, knows that I am a sucker for brulee. This brulee was very nice. I remember my mother feeding us tinned lychees when we were little (from memory they were quite awful) but a fresh lychee is a completely different beast. The stem ginger cake was quite subtle - I would usually prefer a stronger hit of ginger but this one was probably a good balance with the other flavours.
As I was dining alone I was amazed and very impressed when one of the staff delivered a magazine and a couple of recipe books for me to read while I was waiting for my meal to arrive. I had seen one of the cookbooks before and it was nice to have a closer look, the other cookbook was completely new to me and I will be buying it.

1  Thank Kirstin_the_Kiwi
Reviewed 6 February 2014

We've been meaning to go to Logan-Brown for years now, but every time we've visited Wellington we've been too busy, or were with people who wanted to go somewhere else. This time we got there and we weren't disappointed!

From the great bar service (we were a little early for our table), to the very interesting wine list, and on to the wonderful food, we had a very special evening.

The highlight for me was the selection of shared "tastes" that we chose to start our meal. The Puaua Raviolo and Waikanae crab cakes were truly outstanding. Mind you, my main course of venison was delightful as well.

This was fine, elegant and innovative food, beautifully prepared and served. It's not cheap - well over $100 each for food, and we had some fine wine as well - but it's worth every cent. And now that Martin Bosley has closed it's doors (sob, sob!) it's definitely the best in Wellington for us.

Reviewed 6 February 2014

Located in the heart of Wellington, on the corner of Cuba and Vivian streets, in the historic National Bank of New Zealand building, Logan Brown is hard to miss. The main dining area is housed in the former banking hall, architecturally one of Wellington's finest interiors. The atmosphere is elegant and refined. The service professional, yet relaxed.
This was not only to be my last night in Wellington, but my last night in New Zealand. Capping off a magnificent adventure and an amazing gastronomic journey throughout the North and South Islands.
I had stopped in earlier in the evening to peruse the menu and get a feel for the posh looking space. Sarah the hostess with the mostest, was gracious, welcoming and quite accommodating. Walking me through the menu and wine list, exhibiting top quality New Zealand products. While expressing their philosophy and environmentally minded approach to food.
I arranged to be back for dinner in 2 hours.
I started with an aperitif, an engaging non-vintage Nautilus Brut sparkler from Marlborough.
Succumbing to Sarah's suggestions, I then ordered one of their signature dishes, the Paua (abalone) ravioli. It was beautiful, in so many ways. She paired it with a finely textural 2009 Northburn Riesling from Central Otago.
This was followed by another Logan Brown signature dish, the lamb rack. My relatively low lamb intake on this trip, made this choice a no brainer. The lamb was perfect (no finishing salt needed)! It was brilliantly paired with an Ata Rangi 'Celebré' 2011 Merlot, Syrah, Cabernet Sauvignon from Martinborough. I took my time with the lamb rack, requiring a second glass of wine. This was an Urlar Pinot Noir 2011 from Wairarapa. Produced from organic and biodynamically grown grapes sourced from their meticulously farmed estate vineyard in Gladstone (Wairarapa). Urlar, which means 'the Earth' in Scottish Gaelic, is an elegant Pinot Noir with a dark cherry, plum nose. A silky textured refined palate with savoury notes and a pleasantly dry finish. Making it a brilliant choice for the lamb rack.
A Churton Petit Manseng 2012 came next. Made from petit manseng, a grape that I'm most familiar with. It had sensational depth of flavour with wonderful mouth-watering mineral acidity. A delightful wine that begins medium-sweet and finishes dry. The perfect compliment for the Sweet Taste of Logan Brown dessert. A veritable tasting of their exceptional desserts. Nicely done.
Then finally a Laphroaig 10 Year Old as a digestif.
Everything that I had was incredibly fresh, flavorful and brilliantly executed. The servers never missed a beat. Sarah was perfect. Making this a memorable dining experience indeed.

Reviewed 28 January 2014

Ate here on a Sunday evening and it was busy. As someone who likes people watching in restaurants I was disappointed that our table in an alcove meant this was not possible. However the food more than made up for this. Highlights were the hop braised merino ribs, the pumpkin lasagna (best vegetarian dish I have ever had) and the lychee brûlée. Service was cheerful and helpful.
This restaurant could hold its own any where in the world and I cannot understand why it is not trip advisors top pick in Wellington.