“Get a drink here!”

Price range: US$17 - US$104
Cuisines: Contemporary
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: The Taste of Our Place - Kia Ora, Kai, Kaitiaki. At Logan Brown, you'll experience a welcoming, inspiring and genuine taste of our place, our people and the produce that makes you proud to be a New Zealander. We opened in December Friday the 13th in 1996 and decades later it is way different but still the same! We have evolved with dining trends, service styles, taken opportunities with new product and techie innovations and of course will continue to do so. What has never changed is the sharing with our guests our true passion for our craft, our community and our country. We want everyone to be as proud as we are about New Zealand’s environment, the land and seas bounty, and the amazing people who harvest or produce from it. Working closely with these passionate producers inspires and excites the team who are proud to share their stories, and we always welcome new seasons and new to the market produce from suppliers and give it a go.
Reviewed 28 February 2014

What ambiance! The bar has an aquarium with shrimp and mini lobsters. Good drinks too. If you don't eat here, make this a stop on your bar crawl.

Reviewed 27 February 2014

An impressive space that manages to provide an imitate dining experience. The food was absolutely delicious however the stand out for us was the service. It was exceptional; efficient, non intrusive, polite and unpretentious - often so lacking at top end dining, Logan Browns offers the complete package. It is very expensive and we assume this is because they pay their amazing team so well?

Reviewed 24 February 2014

This restaurant is situated in a stunning building and the decor is smart and classy. Service was good, unintrusive but always there if you needed something. We had just arrived in Wellington from Heathrow and had booked the early evening special at $49. The menu was very limited with just 2 starters, 3 mains and 2 sweets. This is fine dining and everything was plated beautifully and cooked to perfection but as my title suggests it was ok but not stand out.

Reviewed 21 February 2014

The service was perfect: friendly but not intrusive, attentive to the pacing of the meal, wine and water topped up with spot on timing. Waitress as happy to make recommendations.
We enjoyed all the food . Didn't have a chance to try the deserts as we were going to a show but would definitely go back

Reviewed 20 February 2014

It's a good location and a nice setting. The staff are polite and friendly, if not young and uninformed about wine-food matches. I was unhurried and there was no problem with making up my mind as I went, rather than pre-ordering dishes. That's about the nicest thing I can say about the restaurant.

The food is crazy tricked up with WAY too much going on. Every dish I tried was crowded with fancy sounding combinations that compete for attention and confuse the tastebuds. It's too, too much.

I think it was Coco Chanel who said you should remove at least two accessories before you leave the house…. Logan Brown need to take heed.

My first 'tasting' was Waikanae crab cake that in itself was delicate and delicious, but it came smothered in a large quantity of creamy sweet mayonnaise style dressing, a wedge of lemon and some scattered green salad leaves. Instead of the crab cake doing the talking, it was drowned out by unnecessary loud distractions.

I also had the seared hare with fresh fig, that came with shitake and ginger bread, and raspberries. The hare was gorgeous - absolutely perfect, tender, tasty, rich, generous portion. Then there were some whole fresh raspberries on the plate. And a few drops of a dark, rich, chocolatey tasting sauce or glaze. And 2 slices of the shitake/ginger bread in a crisp wafer style on the side. That's a whole lotta flavours.

The main of John Dory, pinto beans, beet, and crayfish croquette was equally confusing. The fish was great, the pinto beans were… well, pinto beans. I'm pleased I knew what the croquette was supposed to be because I would never have guessed. So there was salty, sweet, bland and crunchy. Just odd. Not complimentary flavours or textures.

As a side, I had wagyu fat potatoes which quite frankly looked and tasted like deep fried cubes of mashed potato straight from the freezer. Quite disappointing.

There was great care taken in the presentation. But there are better places to have dinner in a city and a country that delivers more often than not on its food and wine.

I won't be going back.