“passable”

Price range: US$18 - US$105
Cuisines: Contemporary
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Description: The Taste of Our Place - Kia Ora, Kai, Kaitiaki. At Logan Brown, you'll experience a welcoming, inspiring and genuine taste of our place, our people and the produce that makes you proud to be a New Zealander. We opened in December Friday the 13th in 1996 and decades later it is way different but still the same! We have evolved with dining trends, service styles, taken opportunities with new product and techie innovations and of course will continue to do so. What has never changed is the sharing with our guests our true passion for our craft, our community and our country. We want everyone to be as proud as we are about New Zealand’s environment, the land and seas bounty, and the amazing people who harvest or produce from it. Working closely with these passionate producers inspires and excites the team who are proud to share their stories, and we always welcome new seasons and new to the market produce from suppliers and give it a go.
Reviewed 19 March 2010

old school charming fine dining room with bistro casual service. Arrived just before booking time 8.30pm yet told table not ready have a drinks while dining companions spot vacant (and ready) table which was our for the evening. scampi tortellini yum while nothing new with the others. no a place I would return to if in town again (30jan2010

Write a ReviewReviews (1,230)

Reviewed 17 March 2010

My wife and I travelled from Sydney to Wellington specifically to dine at Logan Brown, and it was well worth the trip! Everything was fantastic, from the service to the atmosphere to the food. Don't expect the latest molecular gastonomic delights, this is simply the best Kiwi ingredients, cooked fantastically. My wife raved about the Paua Ravioli, and I was lucky that the Bluff Oyster season had started. Well worth the visit, we'll be back!

Reviewed 3 March 2010

This is world class food. Great tastes in every bite. The food isn't overworked, just cooked beautifully. The space is nice, although some tables will give you a better aspect than others. If possible, upstairs would be a nice option, but only a couple of tables, so good luck there... Lots of casual walk-in's were turned away, so you will have to book well in advance.

I was truly impressed. Service was nice, and wines by the glass were all of a high standard. Will definitely return next time I'm in Wlg. And it's BYO on Sundays!!!

Reviewed 19 November 2009

I was shocked to see this is number one, although that's what we'd heard which is why we went there. First we were told by wait staff, accusingly, "you're ten minutes early". Waitresses were enjoying chatting with clients when we had a table full of used glasses and dishes, and on asking for assistance were told to wait, while one of them finished her conversation. We advised we didn't want entrees so were told, again in an accusatory manner, that mains would be 30 minutes. After a long pause (maybe she thought we'd change our minds?) she asked if we would like bread which we assumed was complimentary but for which we were charged. The food was the biggest disappointment. I haven't read the other reviews and I don't know where those people eat. I eat at different class restaurants serving a multitude of international food so I would say if you want an expensive but reasonable Englishy pub-type meal in a noisy place with average service then this is the place to go. My husband had fish with citrus mash (which tasted just like sour mashed potato) and I had lamb, which was very homely and I could have made easily at home, and we had a bizarre combination of vegetables of the day - bok choi, mushrooms, broccolli, I can't remember what else it was so horrible and greasy. No.2 disappointing meal of my life.

1  Thank Notripstoofar
logie22, Owner at Logan Brown, responded to this reviewResponded 6 December 2009

Hi No Place Too Far To Go.
we are very sorry that you had such an unsatisfactory experience at Logan Brown.
We certainly set out to treat all guests to a special dining experience and thankfully manage to , almost everytime.
We can`t help it if our style of food doesn`t suit you palate but not giving you a warm welcome and providing good table maintenance is inexcusable.
A reason may have been a misunderstanding on your arrival and an extremely busy service when all our guests needed attention at the same time.
Please accept our sincere apologies.
Steve Logan and team.

Reviewed 10 November 2009

My evening at Logan Brown was simply one of the most superb dining experiences I've ever had. The restaurant was booked out but we were lucky enough to secure a cosy corner booth table for a 7:30pm booking. The decor is gorgeous, with the bar doubling as a small aquarium. Logan Brown is located in an old banking chamber and retains the Art Deco feel of its past. The atmosphere is one of subdued elegance, with low lighting and refined but personal ambience. I'd read a review in an airline magazine and thought I'd give it a try.
We were greeted warmly upon our arrival and taken directly to our table, where water and an amuse-bouche were quickly produced. The wine list is the size of a novel and if it were one, it would be one of the world's classics. There is a wine on that list to suit every taste imaginable. Our waitperson (although she was quite young) knew everything there was to know about the food menu and the wine list and answered every one of our questions with honesty and genuine knowledge about the product. The service could not be faulted - friendly and professional without being overbearing. The menu was excellent and provided a good range of choice. Once we ordered, the food came reasonably quickly and was beautifully presented. Even though there were people waiting at the bar for a table, we did not feel as though we were being pushed for time. This is clearly a restaurant which prides itself on its passion for, and commitment to, excellent food, wines and service. I'd go there again in a heartbeat and cannot recommend it highly enough to anyone seeking a truly delightful culinary experience.

2  Thank Ally H