“Disappointing” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Distinction Wellington, Century City Hotel

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Distinction Wellington, Century City Hotel
Ranked #18 of 46 Hotels in Wellington
Taranaki NZ
“Disappointing”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014

Location is great, although be prepared that if its raining there is a dash along Tory Street that is not undercover.
Ask for a room at the front, as the back rooms look straight into a concrete wall of the car park building.
Don't expect the reception staff to be pleasant and friendly - they are not.
We changed room upon arrival as we were not happy with 2 nights looking out on the concrete wall, the room we ended up with was ok, not very clean and the previous guests food and bottle of milk in the fridge was not required.
Room wasn't serviced until very late in the day (5pm) right when we were trying to get freshened up etc to go out for the evening, this was annoying.
Mould around bath/shower, bathroom sink took forever for water to drain away, not pleasant when brushing teeth etc. door wouldn't open fully as washing machine behind door stuck out too much. No spare roll of toilet paper available we had to ask for it when we ran out. Rubbish, flannels, dirt and dust all down the back of washing machine, obviously cleaners never clean behind it and just let things get dropped.
Leather couch looks good but it "deflates" when sat on so is not comfy, leather dining chairs ripped and wobbly, pen drawings on walls, stains on carpets. Don't be fooled by the flashy looking mod-cons you see in their pictures.
Room was very noisy with shared door to next door room, and wind whistles loudly thru filthy deck and ranch sliders.
For price we paid, we could have had a top knotch room at various other great hotels in Wellington and with decent service, and if I could have canceled our room and got $ back straight after checking in - I would have. (I did ask and express my disappointment)
I won't be returning or recommending this to anyone.
Such a shame for a great location.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the front of hotel.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Tony A, Manager at Distinction Wellington, Century City Hotel, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
I was disappointed to hear that you did not enjoy your stay and that you did not find the staff friendly.

We place the upmost importance on our friendliness at Distinction, I have discussed your comments at length with our team to ensure they are providing our normal friendly service.

It would be good to confirm which room you stayed in so we can take a closer look at the housekeeping / maintenance issues highlighted in this room to ensure that we have already addressed them. I can be contacted via our website just click on the contact us button. Our housekeeper has taken time to check that everything is as it should be in all our room.

Sorry for the delay in servicing your room on your second day. The housekeepers work hard and we try and get the rooms cleaned as quickly as possible.

Thanks for your tip on room selection. My favourite rooms are on the city side of the hotel, the higher rooms have a very nice view of Mt Victoria. I would always recommend booking any of our City View rooms.

Kind regards
Tony

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
  • Korean first
Auckland Region, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed for a long weekend recently and was very impressed with the presentation of the room. We paid for a studio and got an upgrade to a one bedroom which was nice. The room had wonderful black out curtains which dimmed the lights from the city. Only downside was a strange rumbling / buzzing noise / vibration that occurred every few minutes or so. We never figured out what it was! Also the staff are highly unfriendly (aside from the cleaning staff). We were greeted with a smile ONCE in four days; icing on the cake was having to listen to an inappropriate conversation between front desk staff as we were waiting for a cab haha.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Tony A, Manager at Distinction Wellington, Century City Hotel, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay. I was disappointed to hear that the staff were less than welcoming. Customer service is extremely important to us at Distinction and we will be focusing our training on this.

I'm sure on your next visit our service will be professional and friendly.

Kind Regards
Gore, Southland, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2014

It was a steal getting a one room apartment upgrade and the experience was well worth it. The car parking is a bit awkward but that is the only failing in my stay. There is no room service facility (but that is coming soon) but when you realise that you are right beside the Lone Star- who do meals to go if you are a solo traveller and don't want to eat in. The number of different kinds of cuisine to choose from in this location is astounding. You would only have to venture with in a one block radius to come onto something that you fancy.

The one room apartment was tastefully decorated with a large white leather chais lounge. It is one of those types of rooms you just want to have a party in. Sliding doors onto the balcony to over look Tory Street in Wellington and feeling the pulse of a city. You have a full size fridge, range, oven and a small dishwasher to work with should you want to cook. A washer/dryer are also available in your bathroom.

The service at reception was amazing on check in and check out. There wasn't anything that I could ask for that was out of the realm of being catered to. I did get stuck in the car park on the way out and had to run into reception and ask to reset my key card but that was an easy fix.

Enjoyed my stay and would highly recommend to others.

Room Tip: Venture out and ask the locals for a recommendation for places to eat.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Tony A, Manager at Distinction Wellington, Century City Hotel, responded to this review, 25 June 2014
Our car park is an adventure, we have instructions on the car park voucher to help the weary travellers.

We hope to have our Restaurant up and running later this year so watch this space. If you have an awesome name let us know we are looking for something catchy.
Zwijndrecht, The Netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2014

We stayed here for 2 nights in Feb 2014. The location of this hotel is very central in Wellington and the room was really great. It was a very complete kitchen/studio with a large separate bathroom. The room was very clean and had a very comfortable bed. However we stayed on a Saturday night and the street is obviously in the routing to the entertainment area, so it was very noisy during most of the night. In spite of the noisy Saturday night, it was worth to stay here

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Being close to the entertainment you do get a wee bit of traffic on the street. We recommend our rooms on the back of the hotel for those that are light sleepers at the weekends.
Auckland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

Writing this review as I am currently staying here for the first time. Usually an Accor fan but they have got too pricey in Wellington. Rooms are modern, service outstanding (especially John on the front desk) and the one bedroom units have everything you need for a short or long stay, even a washing machine! I am a VERY fussy traveller as I spend a lot of time away and this one ticks the boxes. No restaurant or bar on site but everything in walking distance.

Room Tip: Worth paying a bit more to get a one bedroom that has more than a studio I imagine. I got a free up...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Thanks for your review.
I'm pleased you enjoyed the upgrade the one bedroom city views are very comfortable.
John is a star I'll pass on your comments.
Auckland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2014 via mobile

As a single female on a business trip I wouldn't stay here again. I arrived in the evening with a rental car, I had to park this myself in the basement of the car park building next door. I had to walk through a concrete corridor and up flights of stairs to get back to hotel. I didn't feel safe!
The room had a balcony that if I leaned out could touch the car park building next door! I had booked. City view!
The room was well equipped with kitchenette, dishwasher etc.
The TV didn't have many channels and TV3 wasn't there at all.

• Stayed June 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Tony A, Manager at Distinction Wellington, Century City Hotel, responded to this review, 15 June 2014
Thank you for your comments. We have a selection of channels at the hotel with 5 sky and 3 national channels available. We will check the rooms to ensure they are all being received.

The car parking is in a low traffic area as it is separate to the public parking area. We have not had any safety concerns before, however if you are with us again feel free ask on of the staff to come with you.

All our court yard rooms face the rear of the hotel so do not have views. I would be happy to check your reservation details please feel free to contact me on reservations@distinctionwellington.co.nz . City view rooms face out towards Tory Street and have views out towards Mt Victoria and have more desirable views.
Once again thank you for your comments.
Regards
Sheffield, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2014

A great location for doing Touristy things, and the room itself was fantastic. Our main gripes were: robotic reception staff (one in particular, the rest were nice enough); having to pay $20 per day for parking, only to find we could have got a better weekend rate in the same carpark if we hadn't gone through the hotel; having to walk through the carpark to the pool, which was small but adequate, then finding that the one shower at the pool didn't work, so I had to walk back across the carpark to shower, wrapped in my towel...; the light and extractor fan on the hood of the cooker didn't work; only getting one towel each, which didn't make using the pool very comfortable if you wanted a shower again later on/had showered earlier.

But we had no problems with noise, the night reception was very accomodating with us having a guest in the evening, and all in all we had a good stay. The bonus was definately the size of the room.

Room Tip: we got a deal which upgraded us to a one bed appartment from a studio room through wotif.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple