“Larger than it looks” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Osteria del Toro

Osteria del Toro
Ranked #132 of 904 Restaurants in Wellington
Good for: Groups, Child-friendly, Romantic, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Wellington restaurant, Osteria del Toro offers a culinary snapshot of the Mediterranean’s wonderful cuisine in setting so inspired by the region you’ll feel as though you’ve been transported there.Osteria del Toro is open for lunch Sunday to Friday and dinner Monday to Saturday with a range of dishes and menu options suitable for families, large groups and intimate dining experiences.Every week is filled with events, such as 2 for 1 Pizzas on weekday lunchtimes; Paella Monday, where guests the join Chef as he demonstrates the art behind this classic Spanish dish; and La Famiglia, our popular banquet style Sunday lunch.Our wine list showcases the best of the Mediterranean with a few New Zealand favourites thrown in for good measure. Feel like a cocktail or a refreshing glass of vino before going to a show or heading home? Just pull up to the bar and let our professional bar team find the perfect drink for you. Our extensive cocktail list means you definitely won't go home thirsty - OPA! Ask for our tapas menu if you are a bit peckish.Come dine with us, and enjoy the best of the Mediterranean in the heart of the CapitalOur private function room, The Campari Room, has recently been renovated and is the perfect space for your special occasion. The large dining table caters for up to 24 guests and our set menus offer great value and selection. Perfect for birthday dinners, small weddings, group bookings & office functions.
Sydney, Australia
“Larger than it looks”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2014

We had a pleasant, but slow, dinner here. The staff were nice, but there didn't appear to be enough of them. Food was good and decor interesting.

Visited December 2013

Sydney, Australia
“Loved the atmosphere but one for the seafood lovers”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 December 2013

I loved the atmosphere here. I found it by accident late one night and could only have a pizza but really liked it and had some great cocktails from the friendly staff. I was really keen to return and did so several months later. I loved the atmosphere again, but soon realised the variety on the menu wasn't as great as I had hoped. It is mainly for the seafood eaters, of which I am not one. I had a meat paella but it wasn't the sparkling dish I hoped it would be. If you do like seafood and taps though, I think it would definitely be worth trying. I wish I could bottle the atmosphere because I loved it so much. I wanted this to be my favourite Wellington restaurant but sadly haven't been back.

• Visited July 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Dunedin, New Zealand
“Best wedding feast!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2013

My fiance and I booked the Campari room for our small family wedding dinner/reception. As we were based in Dunedin in the lead up to the wedding, we dealt with the entire booking process through email. The staff at Osteria were very professional and made the organisation stress free. We had 20 guests, including two vegetarians and one dairy-free. We had the $55 feast menu, which was more than generous for our guests. The food was absolutely delicious, and we had a lot of feedback from our guests commenting on how much they enjoyed the meal. The restaurant was very accommodating for our guests with special dietary requirements, providing separate vegetarian antipasto platters and an alternative dairy-free dessert. Our waitress Becca was wonderful and took very good care of us all night. Thank you Osteria del Toro for providing a great venue and meal that capped off a very memorable day!!

• Visited November 2013
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Big appetite needed!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2013

We went to "Welly" for a weekend and this restaurant was just down the road from our hotel. Very convenient. Although there are no bookings, we had no problem just walking in at 7pm and getting a table. The waitress was very polite, advising on the guest beer. We also had a jug of Sangria to go with the meal. It was so good it took us back to holidays in Spain. The meal itself was served promptly. Serano ham for starter was very nice, but a couple more slices would have been nice. Our main was the milk fed goat, on the menu as something to share. They weren't kidding! (Pardon the pun!) It was fantastic. Very tender with plenty of Greek style roast potatoes. We also ordered the spinach as a side dish. We asked for a "doggy bag" for the leftover Goat, as it was so good, and there was plenty for dinner the next night. Dessert was the Churros. I loved them because they didn't have too much cinnamon on them.
On the whole, this was an extremely good meal. The staff were courteous, knowledgable and friendly. We will definately go back!

• Visited November 2013
Adelaide, Australia
“good food close to our hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2013

After a wet and windy day in Wellington we decided to eat close to our hotel to describe del toro is hard but maybe Morocco mets Spain I had mutton shank my wife fish and sanger good services and good food excellent

• Visited October 2013