“We expected more”

Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Groups
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 15 November 2013

The restaurant was always busy so thought we would give it a try on our last night in Wellington. We were given a table by the door which wasn't ideal but we hadn't made a reservation so couldn't complain.
The service was good except for the chilli bread which we had asked to be served with the main course but was served on its own after the starter. We had finished eating it by the time the main course was served!
The food was of varying quality, the shrimp cocktail starter was OK, followed by cannelloni (very tasty) and tortellini (fairly tasteless). The best thing we ate was the chilli bread.
The restaurant is in a great location which is probably why it is so popular but we preferred our meal at Pizzeria Napoli.

Reviewed 14 November 2013 via mobile

While the atmosphere wasn't that great (private room upstairs was full of very drunk and obnoxiously loud people), the food is lovely and the wine selection was good. Excellent location on Wellington's waterfront edge. While there are better restaurants along the waterfront, Portofino does ok.

Reviewed 13 November 2013

Dinner here is tasty and the servings are massive. I had a Minsestrone Soup - but it didn't look very apetising when it arrived, there was a layer of grease floating on top with a "tide mark" of it around the edges of the white plate - not great. I gave it a try though and found the flavour to be quite good. Overall, the soup was nice - just didn't look good. I then had a Chicken Salad - this was huge and the chicken was warm (which I wasn't expecting). The chicken pieces were grilled and the salad itself was good with nice (not overdone) dressing. I had a Bloody Mary also, another good reliable choice. Overall, I'd say a good reliable establishment. The venue is very good - overlooking the harbour, which is lovely and easy to get to. It's very nice to walk along the waterfront there.

Reviewed 31 October 2013

Booked a table and arrived slightly earlier than expected. No problem as table we selected was waiting for us. The restaurant is on Queens Wharf and has good sea views. Restaurant was quite full with a mixture of old and young. Menu's delivered quickly along with water. Wine list not extensive but adequate and reasonably priced. Chose some garlic bread to start and Penne a Salmone for my wife and Spaghetti Marinara for self. Both were well priced and both were good meals. Even though the restaurant was busy service was excellent and staff friendly (they are not Italian but Macedonian and Croatian). Overall a reasonable dining experience at a good price.

Reviewed 30 October 2013

My son wanted fish and chips and boy do I wish we'd done that. But I fought for an Italian dining experience. So, three out of four of us were excited to be eating here and I hoped for similar dining experiences that I'd had in Italy - family friendly, atmosphere, fine food..... Our experience was far from that - we were plonked in side area, ignored by waiting staff (and by the very official looking leprechauns) and when our food finally arrived it was practically inedible. The pizza was so loaded with cheese, you couldn't pick a slice up (my son and daughter are pizza aficionados and they merely nibbled at the congealed pile on their plates) - so disappointing. My son did get his chips, but didn't finish them....need I say more? When I expressed my disappointment (the first time I have done so in any restaurant) the manager - said thank you very much, and walked off....needless to say, we won't be going back....and we'll be having fish chips somewhere, anywhere, else next time.