“Ok but should be better”
Review of Portofino

Portofino
Ranked #312 of 930 Restaurants in Wellington
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Groups
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Sydney, Australia
“Ok but should be better”
Reviewed 8 December 2013

I came here on one of my first trips to Wellington. On paper it was great..harbourside location (which actually sucks in winter), wide-ranging Italian menu and good service. I had a pork dish with a creamy sauce on my first trip and eagerly returned to the same place on my second trip. Problem was, I realised on my second trip that while the dish was good, it could have been better. I also witnessed one of the worst-pick-up attempts by a regular on a waitress. It was an exercise in epic awkwardness. I realise now, I wasn't in love with this restaurant, but the restaurant that it could and should be but isn't yet. Just don't confuse Macedonia with Greece...trust me!

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank peter g

Haywards Heath, United Kingdom
“We expected more”
Reviewed 15 November 2013

The restaurant was always busy so thought we would give it a try on our last night in Wellington. We were given a table by the door which wasn't ideal but we hadn't made a reservation so couldn't complain.
The service was good except for the chilli bread which we had asked to be served with the main course but was served on its own after the starter. We had finished eating it by the time the main course was served!
The food was of varying quality, the shrimp cocktail starter was OK, followed by cannelloni (very tasty) and tortellini (fairly tasteless). The best thing we ate was the chilli bread.
The restaurant is in a great location which is probably why it is so popular but we preferred our meal at Pizzeria Napoli.

• Visited November 2013
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Above average for a chain. ”
Reviewed 14 November 2013 via mobile

While the atmosphere wasn't that great (private room upstairs was full of very drunk and obnoxiously loud people), the food is lovely and the wine selection was good. Excellent location on Wellington's waterfront edge. While there are better restaurants along the waterfront, Portofino does ok.

Melbourne, Australia
“Nice outlook and reliable food”
Reviewed 13 November 2013

Dinner here is tasty and the servings are massive. I had a Minsestrone Soup - but it didn't look very apetising when it arrived, there was a layer of grease floating on top with a "tide mark" of it around the edges of the white plate - not great. I gave it a try though and found the flavour to be quite good. Overall, the soup was nice - just didn't look good. I then had a Chicken Salad - this was huge and the chicken was warm (which I wasn't expecting). The chicken pieces were grilled and the salad itself was good with nice (not overdone) dressing. I had a Bloody Mary also, another good reliable choice. Overall, I'd say a good reliable establishment. The venue is very good - overlooking the harbour, which is lovely and easy to get to. It's very nice to walk along the waterfront there.

• Visited November 2013
motueka
“Nice Setting - Good Price”
Reviewed 31 October 2013

Booked a table and arrived slightly earlier than expected. No problem as table we selected was waiting for us. The restaurant is on Queens Wharf and has good sea views. Restaurant was quite full with a mixture of old and young. Menu's delivered quickly along with water. Wine list not extensive but adequate and reasonably priced. Chose some garlic bread to start and Penne a Salmone for my wife and Spaghetti Marinara for self. Both were well priced and both were good meals. Even though the restaurant was busy service was excellent and staff friendly (they are not Italian but Macedonian and Croatian). Overall a reasonable dining experience at a good price.

• Visited October 2013