La Bella Italia
Price range: US$4 - US$19
Cuisines: Delicatessen, Italian, Cafe
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: From the moment you step through our door, you will feel like you are in Italy. A unique combination of a Restaurant, Cafe and Retail shop, La Bella Italia in Petone, Wellington was born from director Antonio Cacace's passion to educate Kiwis about the beauty of traditional, authentic Italian products and cuisine.
Reviewed 5 August 2014

This restaurant was highly recommended by friends who had been recently (from another recommendation they received)
Easy to find by the Petone shore and when we arrived for lunch was getting full. Suggest you book to ensure a table.
Not an upmarket decor, some large shared tables (mix between deli and cafe style) But it's the food you are here for.
We started with a selection of cured meats (prosciutto) - all delicious with each it's own differences in flavour, richness, hint of sweetness etc. An excellent selection of Italian wine is also available at fair prices (not the crazy hotel mark-ups you often see!!)
For a main we shared the whole roasted Snapper served up at the table. Great flavours with the only let down it was just a bit overdone (we did sense our more relaxed time over the entree had some impact on their timing to get it served earlier - so not really their fault)
Would definitely go back to try the pasta dishes we saw others enjoying around us.

Reviewed 22 July 2014

Restaurant is located within the Italian food warehouse. Friendly and efficient service. My husband ordered a pizza and said it was fabulous. I had the antipasto platter which was good but the cheese (3 different types) was so hard it was inedible. Apart from that, I would recommend and would return.

1  Thank Camda
Reviewed 14 July 2014

La Bella Italia has always been a favourite with my Family and friends for all occasions, after the way I was treated today I can never see myself ever wanting to cross it's threashold again. I booked my kids into a childrens cooking class on a friends recommendation, as she had been previously. Now at $100.00 its not cheap , $45.00 each child and $10.00 for the adult to sit with them afterwards to enjoy their food, and as my friend had said they eat their pasta and then there are a few platters . Not so today, they spend the entire class making pasta- tagliettelle , one instructor to 12 -14 kids which obviously meant we the parents were there to help. . At the end they took some of each childs pasta for the lunch and wrapped the rest to take home. Well there just wasn't enough . They cooked the pasta and split it into 2 dishes one with plain tomato sauce and the other half with olive oil and parmesan. 6 normal pasta bowls to feed 12-14 kids and 5 adults . For my money I got 3 forks of Pasta, two boys around 10-12 years of age sitting opposite me missed out on one completely ,as did a couple of kids at the other end of the table... A waitress said " do you have enough food" as she sailed by , not waiting for a reply. We all sat and waited for some more food , and then they started removing the plates.
The adults started talking amoungst themselves over the fact that everyone was still hungry. The grandma next to me decided to buy her granddaughters a pizza at an extra $17.00 , a staff member overheard us talking and one Mum explaining that last time there was alot more food, so they unbeknown to us called the owner Antonio to talk to us . He said " I have been told i have to come and talk to you" Oh we said , one of the mums mentioned not enough food and she thought there was usually a platter, and I said I think we just didn't cook enough of the pasta , there wasn't enough volume to feed everyone . In the Rudest, most Humiliating way possible , with a look that would have knocked you flat Antonio Very loudly said " I am aware this is a Cooking class NOT a eating class , glared again for effect and promptly turned on his heel and left. One Mum next to me said "Well that puts you off coming back doesn't it" . No one was asking for their money back , no one was being rude , but it was done in such an offensive manner in front of a big group that it brought me to tears . Completely uncalled for , Never Ever Again!!!

19  Thank lynh2000
Reviewed 18 June 2014

I went with my wife and our son to La Bella and it was just wonderful experience. Service was great and the food divine. The atmosphere in the strangely multipurpose restaurant was lively and people really seems to enjoy everything. It was like a family party with strangers. Highly recommend. If you need to have the best Tiramisu in NZ this is the place!

Reviewed 5 June 2014

I love this restaurant and each time i go to Petone, i make an effort to go here. It's selection of food stuffs, gelato, small goods and the restaurant are brilliant.
When i was introduced to this place by friends, I was a little sceptical because i had been bought up with Italians and their food...therefore I was fussy about "authentic" italian cuisine.
This restaurant did not disappoint me. We had delicious fresh fish that was the house special the antipasti and a pasta dish. All of them were cooked to perfection and very Italian! simple but delicious.
The owner was the gentleman who served us the fish and was a delight to watc,h as he deftly de-boned it at the table, into succulent fillets.
As for the gelato...OMG Heaven. The staff are very amusing to watch and listen to, as nearly all of them are Italian and full of character.
If you love good food at a reasonable price, then go here! It's worth the effort.
La Bella Vita...La Bella Italia!

2  Thank Terena C