The Lighthouse and the Keep Wellington
James Cook Hotel Grand Chancellor(Wellington)(Great Value!)
US$145
US$119
US$154
US$134
US$216
US$166
  • Restaurant
Travelodge Hotel Wellington(Wellington)(Great Value!)
US$88
  • Room Service
US$206
US$131
ibis Wellington(Wellington)(Great Value!)
US$98
US$88
  • Bar/Lounge
The Cambridge Hotel(Wellington)(Great Value!)
US$67
US$56
  • Restaurant
Quality Hotel Wellington(Wellington)(Great Value!)
US$153
US$145
US$165
US$174
US$161
Travelocity
  • Restaurant
All reviewsspa bathunique place to staylyall baycook straitone nightbed was comfortablebrucebachaccommodationtidy
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 15 December 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Lighthouse for 2 nights and we really enjoyed it. Bruce stocked it with an amazing array of breakfast foods. The ambience of this place is amazing, very romantic. We spent a lot of time in the little sitting room on the top floor, enjoying the beautiful views and watching the ferrys.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Elizabeth C
Reviewed 2 December 2012

When I stumbled upon the Lighthouse while planning our four-week trip through New Zealand, it was instantly clear that we would spend a few days there. And so, in Mid-October, we had a fabulous weekend at this beautiful place. Booking by e-mail was uncomplicated, the place is easy to find and not far from the city. When we arrived, Bruce was there to meet us and to show us around. His lighthouse is a little jewel.

The kitchen on the ground floor was big enough for two days, and Bruce had left everything we needed for a good breakfast. The bathroom is a bit small, but well, when you’re staying in a lighthouse I don’t suppose you want to spend all your time in the bathroom. My partner is a very tall fellow and he was comfortable enough. The bedroom on the first floor was really cosy and warm since Bruce had turned on the heater well before our arrival. And the living room / viewing platform at the top is a real treat. It was raining buckets that weekend, so we spent most of the evening there watching the ferries in the bay.

It’s a really romantic place and we cannot recommend it highly enough!

Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank SeekersLittleHelper
Reviewed 26 November 2012

When I stumbled upon the Lighthouse online I knew that we had to stay there. This was the last night of a campervan trip around the North Island and it was the perfect (and after a week of camping, luxurious) end to the trip. I have been obsessed with lighthouses since I was a kid and staying here was an absolute treat. The views of the bay from the top made it, watching the Interislander ferry go back and forth. Very romantic! Beyond simply lighthouse=awesome, the accommodation was very good. Everything is tidy, comfortable, stocked with plenty of good breakfast options (eggs, muesli, crumpets), and Bruce the owner is very kind. Although the kitchen is small with just a hot plate but not a stove/oven, the cafe down the street is great and the lighthouse is just a 10 minute drive to the CBD. This was a wonderful way to spend our first time in Wellington and I am looking forward to returning!

Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 October 2012

I spent 2 nights in this authentically designed lighthouse replica on Island Bay. It was absolutely magical. The rooms are cosy and well furnished with spectacular views from almost every window. it is directly across the road from the water and one goes to sleep at night to the gentle lapping of the waves. Bruce's hospitality is impeccable. He leaves a splendid array of provisions for breakfast and the residence is well equipped and has all you really need for a quiet and relaxing getaway. I can also highly recommend the local fish and chip shop for a simple meal. The fish was possibly the best I have ever tasted! I'm so glad I stumbled on this accommodation on the net. I have found nothing to rival it in Australia. Kate from Melbourne Australia.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 16 August 2012

We were delighted to spend 2 days at The Lighthouse. A unique experience in a beautiful location with breathtaking views. Every care was taken by Bruce (owner) to ensure our stay was relaxing & pleasurable from the special touches of arriving to a pre-warmed residence, chocolates beside the bed and over indulged with a large selection of choices for a continental breakfast (2 boxes of cereal, loaf of wholegrain bread, crumpets, fresh fruit, yogurt, milk, butter and/or selection of cooked breakfast (gourmet sausages, bacon, eggs, tomato, mushrooms) including a selection of condiments & tea/coffee (including plunger). The restroom and shower/ hand basin adjoined to the kitchen (1st floor) was very clean, functional & included an optional towel warmer with hot water readily available with a strong and full stream in the shower. There are Power-points galore on each of the 3 levels and fan (1st floor) and oil (2nd & 3rd floor) heaters that efficiently warm all levels of the Lighthouse (we are from the tropics & had only the oil heater on the 2nd floor on). Fabulously priced you won't find an accomodation equivalent elsewhere. Very comfortable bed wth option of 4 pillows and additional bedding. Limited TV reception (2 channels) however fabulous screen & DVD Player. Just remember whatever you take up to the top storey must come down when you leave! Gorgeous accomodation - a must do in Wellington.

Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple