“Great alternative to a big hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Gourmet Stay

Gourmet Stay
Canberra
“Great alternative to a big hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2013

We spent one night in Wellington and chose to stay here. The staff are very warm and welcoming, and the building is really beautifully decorated and in a great location. We booked room 5 (with the private bathroom across the hall) but got upgraded to room 4 which was very generous, because this had a full ensuite and an extra bedroom.

The building is close to Cuba st and not too far from the wharf. Parking was difficult; we wouldn't recommend this location if you have a car, as it is in the city and there are only 2 offstreet parks. However, you don't really need a car because of the great location.

We ordered from their cafe in the morning. The eggs benedict was disappointing - the hollandaise sauce was lacklustre and both of our poached eggs were completely solid.

I'd recommend Gourmet Stay for the unique factor - it has so much charm that you don't get in a big hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2013

We loved Gourmet Stay! We stayed in Room 4 and it was perfect, the separate double room is great for a bit of space and there is an ensuite bathroom.

We ate breakfast in the cafe downstairs, I had the muesli which was excellent and came recommended from the staff! Good shout!

A special mention for Mark who runs the place, he was very friendly (as were all the staff actually, but he was the one we had most contact with).

The left over baked goods are a great bonus! And the tea/coffee facility is open until about 11.

The location is brilliant, nice and quiet, but walking distance to Cuba Street and Courtenay Place, so lots of choice for restaurants, bars etc.

One of the best places we stayed in New Zealand. Thanks for a great stay, looking forward to returning one day to this great hotel in this great country!

Room Tip: Room 4 you can hear your neighbours chatting. If this might be a problem, ask if there is a room se...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
Jakarta, Indonesia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2013

Stayed in the dorm room (3 beds) but I had the room for myself the whole time. Price-wise was a bit higher from my budget range; but it was worth it. Super friendly owners, super comfortable room (cable TV, towel, toiletries, internet, even small window that allows natural lights), bathroom is just across the corridor (very clean and I never had to wait), a good sleep is guaranteed because it is so quiet at night yet so close to everything (I also felt safe in the neighborhood). Tea and scones from the cafe are also a nice gesture. Overall the best place I stayed in during my trip in New Zealand; highly recommended!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
Pukekohe, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2013

A flying visit to Wellington had me requiring overnight accommodation that was not going to break the bank, and having searched the various recommendations here on tripadvisor I chose Gourmet Stay. I booked one bed in the triple bed dorm (room 10) for the princely sum of $45. Having not stayed in dorm style accommodation since my Youth Hostelling days of long ago, I was a little apprehensive as to what I would find, but I need have had no worries.

A warm welcome was received from the owner upon checking in, and after being taken to the room (which, as it turned out, I had to myself) and shown the layout of the place I was encouraged to help myself to the tea/coffee making facilities set out in the cafe area (room 10, on the ground floor, does not have it's own in room). I believe there were also guests staying in two of the other rooms, but I didn't see anyone else during my stay and in fact, it felt like I was in my own private apartment. The whole complex is spotlessly clean and furnished to a modern and very high standard which could give several of the high end hotel chains a seriously good run for the money.

Frederick Street is a quiet residential side street, and though it's only about 5 mins walk from the top of the Cuba Street Mall (or to Courtenay Place where the Airport bus stops) there was none of the overnight rowdiness which can sometimes be a problem in city centre accommodation, so a getting a good night's sleep in the comfy king single bed was easy. For breakfast the next morning I dined in the cafe (the creamy garlic mushrooms on toast were excellent), and indeed bought several home-baked goodies from the cafe to take away with me. This place will be my first choice for accommodation when in Wellington from now on, I would not hesitate to recommend Gourmet Stay to anyone.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
Fort Worth, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2013

Very clean and comfortable stay. small hotel friendly staff. A petite boutique hotel, almost a home feel to it. They staff was very helpful and the beds comfortable.
Great scones and cafe. Super centric Wellington location.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
california
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2013

Excellent place to stay and great location in walking distance to main street, shops, and restaurants.

We stayed in the upper room that has the small patio and spa. It's definitely worth a few more bucks to upgrade to that room.

The staff was extremely helpful and friendly, the room was very clean and comfortable, cool design too.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank wwtravel25
Dunedin, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2013

Gourmet Stay is in the heart of Wellington, close to everything. The rooms are clean, warm and comfy. There's a great little cafe downstairs with lovely home-made food. The owners are welcoming and helpful.

Stayed June 2013, travelled with family