“What we wanted, but beware some drawbacks”
Review of Gourmet Stay

Reviewed 7 February 2014

We're locals and stayed here as a treat combining a public holiday, celebration of me getting a new job, and early valentines day. My partner loves hot tubs/spa pools and the idea of being out on a deck area in a pool is her idea of total happiness, so we booked room 1. All other rooms were booked out so it's a popular place it seems.

People were good, everything in the room was clean and in good condition, and as many of the rooms don't have tea & coffee facilities you can get a cuppa in the café area downstairs, and a complimentary mini-loaf (banana cake that day) too which was very yummy.

We have to say that the hot/spa tub was one of the best we've ever been in. Just seemed to be the right size, depth, heat. My girlfriend spent 3 hours straight in it!

As good as the good aspects are, and as good as the reviews here have generally been, I there are some downsides or potential downsides depending on what you want or expect.

I'm mindful that we stayed in the special room and I think all other rooms are much more basic. Even Room 1 is fairly small not counting the outdoor area. It does have tea/coffee/small fridge but it was in a pretty cramped little area. If you want to bring in your own gourmet treats (we went to Moore Wilsons nearby) you'll need to bring your own plates, utensils, and use the little outside table.

There's also no wardrobe, just 3 or so clothes hooks (in the same very small area as the fridge, tea, and dressing mirror). If it wasn't for opening the doors onto the deck, realistically the room would have seemed a bit tight overall.

Either there is no Sky TV, or I couldn't work out how to find it. It looks like there was a Sky dish on the building but perhaps that's just for Freeview reception.

Unfortunately I had some variable water temperature when showering in the morning. A couple of times the water ran very cool (practically cold one of the times). My partner also had the same problem when she showed the night before.

While the room is on the top floor, the building isn't that high so you don't have privacy on the deck area. There are nearby and near-enough-by buildings with a view onto the deck/hot tub. As far as I'm concerned if other people want to look at my naked flabby body that's their problem, but others might prefer to cover up.

The combination of public holiday and a big sporting event happening the following two days meant it was pretty expensive - just checked the hotel website and see the room in question seems to be usually $195, while we paid $265.

I considered giving an overall rating of 3/5 but that feels a bit mean. As the review title suggests, it is what we wanted, and the main drawcard of the hot tub was awesome. We also very much enjoyed sitting on the deck with our bread and cheese and chocolates. If the weather was bad it wouldn't be so much fun though, despite the partial overhead cover on the deck.

Room Tip: Really it's either room 1 or be aware you'll be in a pretty small room without much in the w...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank glennomeister
GourmetStay1, Manager at Gourmet Stay, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2014

We are thrilled that Glen and his partner enjoyed the spa room, it is great to be outdoors on the private deck. The deck is very private with adjacent office views screened with timber louvers and the only views to the deck area are from the frosted glass service room windows of apartments approx. 80 meters away. We are pleased that Glen took a sensible approach and discarded any worries along with the garments.
As a correction, all of the rooms have tea and coffee making facilities and the tea and coffee set up in the Ground Floor Café is for everyone to enjoy refreshments along with a free scone or Muffin in the café area, which is available 24 hours along with a tables and chairs, Magazines TV and some large comfy loungers.
We operate a friendly, tailor made stay and we are more than happy to provide extra wine glasses, plates utensils or cheeses and nibbles up the rooms and we could have easily provided the items needed ( plates and knives and forks are available in the café any time ) Moore Wilson’s gourmet market nearby is fantastic and we encourage guests to sample the fare and enjoy it their room or in the café.
We have 20 channels of free view digital TV available which seems to provide adequate TV entertainment.
We are alarmed at the temperature fluctuations in the shower and instructed a Plumber to test and replace the temping valve. We apologise but you will appreciate that this is the first feedback we have had on this issue, rest assured however we will have it repaired immediately.
The weekend Glen stayed was indeed the busiest weekend with the Wellington Rugby Sevens tournament on and bookings are usually made well in advance. Glen was lucky to pick up a cancelation. We do our best to be competitive and provide Wellingtons only room with an outdoor private deck and spa pool in the inner city.

Reviewed 28 December 2013

We came to Wellington for a couples getaway weekend and definitely chose the right place! Quiet street but still central, we opted for the room with the spa and balcony. Very clean and modern room and comfy bed. Very friendly host who provided us with yummy scones in the morning. We will definitely be back

Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Georgia O
Reviewed 19 December 2013

This is a lovely old building, respectfully renovated in a great central location.

I initially contacted the owners by email to enquire whether parking was provided, this was essential for me. He prompted called and said they had 2 guest spaces and whilst he couldn't guarantee parking, they were free at the time of the conversation (only 2 days before my arrival). He also offered me a free breakfast by phone - great!

Upon booking online once I received an email from the owner to say as I'd only booked a dorm room the free breakfast was no longer on offer! This isn't a typical cheap backpackers dorm room, not sure why I'd be treated like a second class citizen...

I arrived in the evening to a friendly welcome but to find both parking bays taken. The owner assured me both bays would be available the following day, but they weren't. This resulted in what should have been a relaxing 2 day stay, into one where I had to get up early each day and spend the whole day out with the car to avoid parking charges! As I was in a city, I'd much rather have been able to explore on foot but this wasn't an option.

The other very annoying thing is the bedroom door, when anyone else opens/closes what I assume must be an external door, the draft makes a racket inside.

I'm disappointed to have to right a not so great review, but I ended up not enjoying my visit to wellington as a result or something that should have been easily rectifiable by reserving one of the spaces in the first place!

This hotel has loads of potential, but almost hasn't found it's true identity, hotel, upmarket backpacker etc but the service needs improving.

I didn't get to try out their cafe due to the above issue but it looked good...

Room Tip: Not the ground floor.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
GourmetStay1, Owner at Gourmet Stay, responded to this reviewResponded 30 December 2013

Jenny, made a website enquiry and I spoke to her on the phone, I understood that she was booking a room with us and our policy is to include breakfast for rooms 6 to 9 when guests book direct, so i offered to include breakfast. When the booking was made on the site she had booked a bed in our dormitory room at only $45 a night ( fair enough, she was happy to share and on a budget ) I rang to tell her the bed in the dorm didn't include a breakfast which she acknowledged as " i thought it was too good to be true" . When Jenny arrived late at night she was lucky enough to have the whole dorm room to herself as there were no other bookings for the night. She had her own bathroom all to herself and she enjoyed the free scones free tea and coffee and free wi fi all at $45. All other dorm room guests who by chance get the whole room to themselves are usually enormously grateful and thoroughly enjoy it.

As Jenny was well aware we have 10 rooms and 2 off street parks . We do our best at allocating them however it makes sense that the $45 room will be offered a park after the higher priced room guests on the upper floor. We have free street parking and good availability and we offer to monitor the street parking in the morning so guests can sleep in. It works well for everyone.

The title of her review is quite fitting , it seems that Jenny had the potential to really enjoy her stay, she had a whole room to herself at $45, great weather and lots of people happy to help her.

..... and I can't believe she didn't try the fantastic breakfast in the cafe, she seemed determined not to enjoy the full potential of Gourmet Stay.

Mark. Baylis

Reviewed 2 November 2013

We stayed 2 nights in the family room with 4 adults and a toddler. It was logistically difficult with a toddler but Mark and Lucy did their best to make our stay so comfortable. The room was simple and perfectly clean and complete with a loaned box of toys for my son! They even helped me store some of our extra luggage in another room to give us enough space. The location is excellent. Thank you Mark and Lucy!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Camilla R
Reviewed 27 October 2013

due to the rooms and friendly personal and cleanness we probably would have rated excelent.
But unfortunately we had room 8, that is directly next to the shared bathroom.
every hour the fan was running for 15 minutes and we could here all other guests entering the bathroom during the night and also using the facilities...

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Franz X

Franz
I have to apologize for the issue regarding the fan noise during your stay. In October the local electrical company replaced the street electrical main and we had several power shutdowns, I was unaware that the electrical close down affected the time clocks that control the fans for the bathroom and govern the spa pool motor.

We didn't realize until it was bought to our attention by a guest after your stay and they have been reset.

I noted in your review you are from Wellington, we would like to "put right" your poor nights sleep by offering you a complimentary nights stay with us to show that we can do it right. Just contact us directly to set a date.

Apologies again.

Mark. Baylis

Reviewed 27 October 2013

stayed here 1 night monday 14th october before ferry to south island
had room number 1 with hot tub which due to severe winds we were unable to use not the hotels fault,we had a warm welcome from the staff and a had light lunch in the excellent gourmet coffee shop would recommend this hotel to everyone

Room Tip: pay the extra and get the hot tub room
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 October 2013

Gourmet Stay is in a great location, and we were lucky enough to be upgraded to an en suite room. The attached Frederick St. Cafe is also great...probably some of the best coffee I had on my three week holiday! The owners/hosts are the sweetest, and I would recommend this place to everyone! And I'd stay again if I'm ever back in Wellington! So great!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends