“Loved it!!”
Review of Gourmet Stay

Gourmet Stay
Reviewed 13 July 2014

I found Gourmet stay on Google maps, good location close enough to Cuba street.
Young Couple in our 20's had room #1. Simple room, warm, dry, quiet and a very comfortable bed.
We loved the spa, and the large deck.
The staff were very friendly and we loved the tasty free scones.
Best sleep i have ever had staying in accommodation!
Recommended to all and will stay here again next time we visit Wellington!

Room Tip: Room #1 For Couples :)
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 5 July 2014

Stayed here for 2 nights in en suite room (No. 3) which was clean and comfortable with a huge shower en suite. Lovely home-baked scones for guests and simply divine breakfasts in downstairs cafe with locals visiting too. Very friendly staff and central location but quiet as well. Would definetly come back. Perhaps just a window-box or similar to brighten up the window view.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 June 2014

This was a great place to stay on an all-too-quick stay in Wellington. Location is excellent. Rooms were spotlessly clean and well appointed. Bed was comfortable. The photos of the rooms are accurate. The cafe space downstairs looks like a lovely space to read or work in after the cafe is closed (when it is available to guests). The complimentary scones and cakes are a very nice touch! Excellent value, especially given I was able to park off street also at no extra charge. The boutique experience was sealed by the delightful customer service. Lucy was warm, helpful and very nice to chat with and I appreciated her excellent suggestions about where to have dinner. I'll definitely opt to stay here again.

Note this is a tiny hotel with perhaps only 10 rooms and it offers a range of rooms and amenities. Not all rooms have ensuites so if you care about that, double-check when you book.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 June 2014

I've stayed here several times over recent months and I always enjoy it. The owners are excellent, friendly and helpful, the location is great and Room 10 is ideal for an overnight stay. The bed is really comfy and bathroom spotless. The cafe is buzzing in the mornings with amazing food smells and happy people. Gourmet Stay is a real Wellington charmer.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank rhopenz
Reviewed 11 June 2014

For somewhere intimate, quiet, well appointed and friendly you can't beat this. Looking for somewhere to stay for a night with my daughter, for a break from the uni flat, I found Gourmet Stay on booking.com and got a great last minute rate. Arrived late but the manager greeted us cheerfully and told us to help ourselves to the the homemade scones and lemon and poppy seed cakes if we got hungry. We had the hot tub room - very clean, tidy and smart with a nice private balcony and the hot soak was superb on a wet Wellington night. Location is very quiet while still central. I highly recommend you breakfast in their cafe. Fresh, tasty fare and excellent and helpful customer service.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 June 2014

I wanted a small, inexpensive place to stay for a single night in Wellington central. Asked friends on Twitter and Facebook for recommendations but nothing clicked. Then I found this little gem with a simple Google search. The magic word was Te Aro. Very close the centre but quiet at night. I learned about it from my previous trip when I spend two mornings of meetings at the excellent Prefab Café (one block away from the Gormet Stay).
The hotel itself is nestled into a side street. I arrived after the café, which serves double duty as reception, was closed. I rang the bell and was soon greeted by a cheerful manager who checked me in - I was the only guest I think - invited to me to help myself to delicious scones left from the café - and showed me to my room. The room was small as I expected but immaculately clean and well presented. The bathroom was across the hall but it was large and clean with both a shower that had good pressure and a deep full-size bath. The wifi worked flawlessly and I settled in for a night of uninterrupted work for the next day, followed by uninterrupted sleep.
The surprise? I had planned to return to Prefab for breakfast - I like their filter coffee in a bottomless mug and friendly, mature staff - but I traded my key deposit for breakfast and I'm glad I did. Generous helping, well prepared and and served in the tiny café with a smile.
Who needs glossy hotel? I'm happy to recommend Gourmet Stay if you are on a budget, want to be close to the center and like things on a human scale. I would have given 4 stars if the pillows were a bit better - but, hey, nothing wrong with four.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank JoeGreenz
Reviewed 30 May 2014

I stayed in the 3-person room on the ground floor.

PROs:
+ Solid wood bunk beds, so the other person's movement doesn't shake the whole bed frame
+ free leftover scones (and sometimes muffins) from the cafe
+ effective heater
+ free tea and coffee in the cafe area
+ good location; easy walk to city center's attractions, shops, and restaurants

CONs:
- the bathroom had no soap in the dispenser for six nights
- linens were not changed for six nights, even though I had been informed it would be changed at least after the third day

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
4  Thank D C