“Our most wonderfully memorable excursion in Aust. and NZ”
Review of Kiwi Coastal Tours

Kiwi Coastal Tours
Ranked #5 of 45 Tours in Wellington
More attraction details
Owner description: Kiwi Coastal Tours. A trip with Craig and Kiwi Coastal Tours will not disappoint, from the start to the end you will be wanting more. Be prepared for a relaxing no rush journey around Wellington city, around the coast and along secluded beaches, take in the awesome scenic panoramas of Raukawa (Cook strait) and on a fine day views of the south island of New Zealand.Learn about the maori way of life pre-European to the present day,hear about the legends of the land and the way Maori used what nature provide for sustenance and as medicines.Safe off road sojourns are a special delight you will get to visit areas that even the locals rarely get to view, there is so much on offer with Craig and Kiwi Coastal Tours so bring a camera and a smile and Craig will throw in a cuppa tea or coffee at our designated rest area with toilet facilities and an awesome view. Be prepared for an enjoyable three (3) hours. Did I mention the wild animals ? I have a reliable vehicle that transports 5 (five) persons comfortably or 6 (six) at a push. I am a one man operation so you get me and only me. Looking forward to having you share this experience with me. Regards Craig Stoddart
Vancouver, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Our most wonderfully memorable excursion in Aust. and NZ”
Reviewed 22 March 2014

Due to a major storm our cruise ship had to remain an extra day in Wellington. This gave us the opportunity to book Gary, as we had heard rave reviews about him during our first day in port. We are pleased to say that Gary lived up to and exceeded these reviews. In addition to receiving Gary's brief but meaningful presentation of Maori lore and traditions as mentioned by others, and driving through the pristine private forest adjacent to Wellington and seeing the deer, etc., the even more amazing part of the excursion was still to come. The storm that had hit Wellington the night before was still blowing strong. Gary drove us down to a bluff overlooking the tumultuous waves, where the wind felt like we were standing under a huge vacuum cleaner. We drove down to the shale beach and got close and personal with some seals which seemed oblivious to us and the storm. Gary then started driving along the beach, explaining that due to the effects of the storm and the incoming tide, we may have to turn around at a certain point. My wife is not much for midway rides, but revelled in the whole experience due largely to the complete confidence we felt in Gary. Like we said to Gary, he and his SUV were like a rider with the horse he had ridden for 10 years; they were as one. Gary knew what pitches and looseness of shale the SUV could handle and drove us along the ocean front effortlessly, but not without a huge amount of excitement for the passengers! The rest and snack stop with Gary and his wife, Mariah, was delightful. We heartily recommend this trip!! A real gem!!

Visited March 2014
2 Thank Miguel K
Garykiel123, Owner at Kiwi Coastal Tours, responded to this review, 24 March 2014
Kia ora
And thank you for your wonderful review of our day together.
The views and scenery are spectacular and to be able to share with my manuhiri (guests) is especially rewarding for me.
Our journey that day was enhanced by the weather conditions and are an example of power and beauty of the rugged south coast. Tangaroa (The Maori god of the sea) surely made his presence known that day but all was in complete safety.
So glad that you enjoyed the experience and hope that you have returned home to your loved ones safe and sound.

Nga mihi nui kia koutou

3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Awesome tour!!”
Reviewed 12 March 2014 via mobile

I had a great tour with Gary in Wellington!! I learned a lot about the area and about Maori culture. It was great learning things I would not have learned and going places I would not have gone on a larger tour. Afterwards Gary took me to his wifes great cafe on the shore for coffee and pastries. I had booked the 3 hour tour but Gary was not concerned with the time as we were gone closer to four hours. My only regret is that I did not book a longer tour. I would highly recommend this tour for anyone wanting to get off the beaten path around Wellington and learn more about Maori culture and the Wellington area!

1 Thank gcm75
Garykiel123, Owner at Kiwi Coastal Tours, responded to this review, 17 March 2014
Kia ora e hoa.
Thank you for the great review of your day in the hills, I know you got some great pics of your trip with me and I thoroughly enjoyed your company.
Time is not a factor when I am entertaining my manuhiri (guests) I really focus on giving them the best of what I the land and the sea has to offer.
The Maori content is a major ingredient for me ensuring that my guests get a little bit of an insight into maori culture and way of life is very important and always appreciated.
Nga mihi nui kia koe

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“Unique and unforgettable experience, highly recommend!”
Reviewed 19 February 2014

We are happy we booked this tour with Gary. We've learned a lot about Maori culture, traditions, language. Gary showed us some local flora and how Maori used it for medicinal purposes, have seen spectacular views from the points hard to reach by bus, also fed red deer and saw wild boar,ostrich, and seal. It was a windy day, but the views were just magnificent. We later met Gary's wife at the cafe managed by the family, had nice coffee and homemade deserts, tasty :-) Thanks a lot for a wonderful tour!

Visited February 2014
Kia ora and thank you for your review of my tour.
It is really nice when people appreciate the time spent in the hills around the south coast with me.
I try to have a little bit of everything of interest in the short space of time with you.
The scenery speaks for itself and the weather can change quite quickly sometimes.
So glad that you enjoyed the day.
Nga mihi nui kia korua

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“You Won't See This on Ship Tours”
Reviewed 18 February 2014

We did a private tour with Gary at the end of January. Gary met us at the pier where our ship docked. The trip was beautiful, thrilling and scary at times. Gary took us up the mountain on private roads to the highest point in Wellington. When I say "roads," they were more like gravel paths looping up and around the mountain. When we reached the top, we had a commanding 360 degree view of the bay, the Pacific and all around Wellington. We got to see some wildlife at a private reserve on the way down and then drove to an isolated beach where we rested at a small cabin. We had a nice surprise by having lunch (included in the price) at the beachside restaurant managed by Gary's wife. Get the fresh fish! We finished with a few stops in Wellington and then back to the ship. Gary is a personable knowledgable guide. This was one of our favorite tours of our cruise. Kia ora Gary.
Paul and Nancy

Visited January 2014
Garykiel123, Owner at Kiwi Coastal Tours, responded to this review, 26 February 2014
Kia ora Korua
Thank you for the great review of our day together, I am so glad that you enjoyed the thrills of off road driving which allows me to take my manuhiri (guests) to places that are unique to my tour and rarely seen sights not visited by other tour groups.
Maori custom dictates that my Manuhiri are safe always and cared for while visiting these lands so a meal at the Bach cafe is included in the longer tours.
So nice to have shared the experience with you, I hope you have returned safely to your home.
Nga mihi nui kia korua

Na Gary
Oak Park, Illinois
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Nice custom tour”
Reviewed 15 February 2014

My wite and I toured with Gary last month…what a nice custom tour thru the back country of Wellington…..big tour busses could not go where Gary took us, and he being of Maori ancestors was able to give us a great history of Wellington and its people…..and then lunch at his restaurant, served by his wife was wonderful…would highly recommend Gary's tour…..Kia ora…..Rick and Kathy Klaus.

Visited January 2014
Nga mihi kia korua
Thanks for the wonderful review I am so glad that you both enjoyed the day.
There is a hidden gem in the hills around Wellington and showing this gem to people from all over the world is an amazing experience for me as well as my manuhiri (guests).
I hope that you have returned home safe and sound.
Nga mihi nui kia korua.