“Best place to stay in Wellington!”

Acorns Wellington Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 45 Wellington B&B and Inns
Dothan, Alabama
“Best place to stay in Wellington!”
Reviewed 10 April 2014

When I arrived, my hosts were not there but as they said, there would be an envelope in the mail box with my name on it so I could get into my room.
I can't say enough good things about my initial impression. There was fresh baked bread, several NZ jams, butter, fresh fruit, homemade granola, milk, two bottles of juice, chocolates, even homemade cookies! All at no extra charge.
When I went to get my things in from the car, Tim had just arrived home and helped me get settled in and offered to do my washing for me! Later Emily stopped by to make sure everything was good and asked if I needed anything at all. Then she brought me my laundry all dried and folded! This was totally unexpected and their genuine friendliness and hospitality was so far above anywhere else I have stayed so far in NZ, or the rest of the world for that matter.
The room was spotlessly clean and the towels were soft and smelled nice and fresh. The bed was very comfy and had plenty of pillows and an enormous duvet. Felt like I was sleeping on a cloud formatted just for me!
Even the toilet paper wasn't the cheap stuff a lot of hotels have.
Bottom line is everything was PLUSH! Quiet, comfortable, spacious, great reading material and TV channel selection.
My only negative is that I only had ONE NIGHT to stay there! Wish I could be spending my whole three weeks in New Zealand there, but alas, that's my bad fortune. If I EVER get to come to NZ again, I will be making this my first booking.

Room Tip: Great place for solo or couples. My room would not be suitable for a large family as there was just...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank SouthernGlobetrotter

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Thorold, Canada
Reviewed 1 April 2014

B&B was lovely, but more like staying in a hotel then B&B.
Was greeted, but just enough to get us into the room. Private courtyard, and semi-private entrance meant we didn't really see anyone for the nights we were there.
A bit disappointing since we chose B&Bs for the reason of talking to other couples, or at least the owner, finding out the local flavour.
If you like your own space and privacy, this was a great place.

Good sized room, large enough for a couch in the "living room" area.

No issues with street parking -- lots of spaces.

Food supplied was plentiful - fresh baked break, desserts, fresh fruit, yogourt, and beverages. More than was needed for 2 people, we took it as our lunch both days as well.

We watched the flatscreen TV, with a few movies from bed.

Need a car to drive into the downtown. Very short drive to get to Weta for LOTR fans.
Great location for runners to head down along the shore/boardwalk

Local fish and chips down the street was great. Nice walking area to look at the houses and mansions being built in the neighbourhood,

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank Stephmthompson
Emily B, Owner at Acorns Wellington Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 3 April 2014
So sorry you felt the service was impersonal. You were unwell when you arrived here and also during your stay , and we offered help and advice about a doctor. You told us you just needed to rest. We did try to catch up with you on a number of occasions, to make sure you had everything you needed, but you had locked the gate into your courtyard so we were unable to speak with you. We try to respect the privacy our guests seek, while being friendly and welcoming. I'm sorry you feel we didn't achieve that on this occasion.
at home
Reviewed 1 April 2014

We stayed for one night in December in the lovely Kowhai Suite with a small kitchen and a washing machine and dryer and a huge TV. We found this apartment an excellent value, Emily was very friendly and provided lots of information. We even got some freshly baked cookies. We would stay here again and recommend highly to staying here.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Milmiria
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed 30 March 2014

The bb is located in a very pleasant suburb of Wellington, a bit far away from the center. Nevertheless the neighborhood and the surrounding coast are superb. A car is essential. Two rooms are availabl: one large and a smaller. We had the small one: good size, beautifully decorated, modern. The terrace for the room is a rear terrace, no view but large. The bathroom is spacious and modern. Anyway: I had the opportunity to visit the big room, if available , choose this one: really large and beautiful view of the bay. The owner is very professional and friendly. A laot of informations are available ( city, resto, where to go, when...) wifi available. A negative point: the breakfast. The quality is good but served in the room and in the small one there s is no space to be confortable when you eat. Nb breakfast available in the fridge the day before ( reason for the average service ). Parking in street easy

Room Tip: Prefer the big room
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 28 March 2014

The location was close to the city but quiet, ammenities were excellent. It didn't matter that we couldn't work out the TV remotes (we could easily have asked - or bought the kids!). The hosts, Emily and Tim were great.

A & L Taylor, Melbourne Australia

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Andrew T
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 16 March 2014

A lovely, clean room, delicious baking and warm, friendly and accommodating hosts made this a fantastic stay in one of the most scenic areas of Wellington. There are lots of great walking tracks and a couple of cafes close by, but it is a short trip in to the central city by car or bus. What a great place!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AmyNZ1983
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 15 March 2014

Amazing rooms, beautiful location, lovely hosts. Only a 10 minute drive from the city and right by one of Wellington's beautiful stretches of coast. Highly recommend Acorns to anyone staying in Wellington. A+++

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo