Copthorne Hotel Wellington Oriental Bay
James Cook Hotel Grand Chancellor(Wellington)(Great Value!)
US$100
  • Bar/Lounge
US$140
US$124
  • Pool
The Cambridge Hotel(Wellington)(Great Value!)
US$65
At Home Wellington(Wellington)
US$196
US$181
  • Fitness centre
Travelodge Hotel Wellington(Wellington)(Great Value!)
US$93
US$82
Orbitz.com
  • Room Service
Quality Hotel Wellington(Wellington)(Great Value!)
US$180
US$129
1,705 results
All reviewste papaoriental paradegreat locationfamily roomsmall balconyharbour viewsuperior roomacross the roadcourtney placevalet parkingshort walknew world supermarketfree wifitop floorcourtenay placenew zealandking bed
Reviewed 21 October 2013

Having frequented other Copthorne Hotels I had made the assumption that the Oriental Bay one would meet the same standards.... not true, and rather disappointing.
Whilst in a great location, close to attractions, the water front and and a short walk to numerous bars and restaurants, once you are past the modern and sleek reception, the rest tends to fail.
I was told I had been "upgraded to superior plus room" which I found to be dated, dark, had an old bed spread and the bathroom had an old-water-smell wafting up from the drain. The hotel was fully booked and I was unable to change rooms.

Having a ranch slider and balcony overlooking the harbour are wonderful... until the wind blows and the poorly sealed and maintained windows start to whistle because of the gaps. Ringing reception to mention this I was told to check my ranch slider by opening and closing it again.... Opening it was not problem but once closed again it wouldn't lock. I rang reception again who informed me to perform a serious of maneuvers including lifting, pulling towards me and yanking the handle upwards to lock it. It worked so this left me wondering how many other people had mentioned the difficulty of being able to close it and the hotel just continues to offer advice on performing maneuvers on the door (which may or may not result in a back injury) rather than just actually fixing the problem door. FYI - this didn't fix the whistling problem so just hope it isn't a windy day if you stay here... given its wellington your odds are stacked against you though.

The indoor pool is tepid at best, definitely not heated. But there are lots of lovely walking options around the hotel.

I would highly recommend using valet parking at this hotel. The main car park is narrow (one long row of parking) and the carparks are angled... easy for parking but very difficult to get out of when the carpark is full and there is no where to turn. Reverse out requires some pretty good navigation skills and hazard dodging. The 2nd carpark is on a vacant lot on the corner opposite the back of this hotel (not actually on hotel property therefore not secure)

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Ken O, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Wellington Oriental Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 23 October 2013

Thank you for you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am disappointed to read that you did not enjoy your stay with us. I have inspected many rooms with our maintenance team to access the issue with our ranch sliders. These are all of a modern design and have been fitted with hush glass to reduce noise (and wind) these should function without the need to lift or yank the door. My apologies that you had issues with the ranch slider and the wind noise. If you are returning to Wellington please allow us to redeem ourselves and contact us to stay again, as your experience is not of the standard we expect.

Reviewed 16 October 2013

Booked this hotel rather late and as it was Wearable Arts weekend accommodation at a premium. Checkin was very prompt and staff pleasant. Location of the room was great and when I pulled back the curtains the view was stunning, just made my weekend. Room was nicely furnished and contained everything one would want. The room was nice and quiet. Great location for an easy walk into the city and along the waterfront.

Room Tip: If you can afford it stay on the 8th floor overlooking the bay.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank manuka
Ken O, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Wellington Oriental Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 22 October 2013

Dear manuka thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am pleased to read you loved the view, it is pretty spectacular. I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 15 October 2013

We spent two nights here in a Superior Plus room on the eighth floor. Check-in was quick and served with a smile. The room was large, comfortable and had a great view over the bay towards the City. It was disconcerting to find that the adjoining room door was unlocked on arrival, but this was quickly attended to by a call to the Front Desk.
Breakfast and Dinner in 180 were very good and the views over the city were fantastic in the evening.
We used the Valet Parking on arrival due to congestion at Reception and were pleasantly surprised to find our car parked adjacent to the restaurant on the seventh floor. It certainly made for easy access to the room.
The location is very good, with most of the city in easy walking range and plenty of cafes and watering holes to break any journey.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Colin C
Ken O, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Wellington Oriental Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 20 October 2013

Dear Colin C Many thanks for your review and I hope you enjoy the rest of your tour of New Zealand.

Reviewed 13 October 2013

We were wanting to stay within walking distance of the city to visit Te Papa, shops etc and struck it lucky with a Wotif Mystery Deal, so we had great value for money. Just as well with parking at $25 a night! Never mind, the parking at the back was very handy to our room. The staff at the Copthorne were excellent, both at the front desk and in the restaurant, and our room was well presented and sparkling clean. The only gripe (and I ranted about this on our hotel feedback form because it really annoys me) - the charges for wifi in the room are ridiculously high. and I notice others complain about this too. If a small motel in Napier can give 250MB free per room, then so can a big hotel - it's a rip-off to charge guests to use internet in their rooms. Otherwise, we found the Copthorne in Oriental Bay pretty much perfect for our needs. Thanks to the staff for their friendly personal attention.

Room Tip: We had a very quiet room at the back on the 8th floor. It opened onto a large roof area which was great for taking photos. The room was very quiet at night.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank seniorkiwi
Ken O, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Wellington Oriental Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 17 October 2013

Dear SeniorKiwi It was good to read your candid review today. I am pleased to hear that our staff were excellent and the room spotless. Your concern about the wifi is something we will review as a team. Your feedback is invaluable to us so many thanks for taking the time to comment. I hope to welcome you back one day soon.

Reviewed 9 October 2013

We recently celebrated our daughter's wedding in Wellington and stayed 5 nights at the Copthorne, booking 4 rooms including a suite. The hotel staff were wonderful, providing extra crockery & cutlery and even a full length mirror. They worked with us to make the wedding smooth sailing.

Room Tip: The suite had a lounge overlooking the harbour. Also a large bathroom with separate shower, spa bath and double vanity.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Ken O, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Wellington Oriental Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 16 October 2013

Dear Sarola

Many thanks for your comments especially noting that our team’s service stood out during your stay. I am so pleased that your daughter's wedding was all smooth sailing and I wish her all the best with her future marital bliss.